1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dog Crates

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Rousseb, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Sep 5, 2019 at 4:48 PM
    jrcuevasv

jrcuevasv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road
    Can post pictures later tonight !

hallux[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Sep 11, 2019 at 7:44 AM
    kasnerd

kasnerd candied bacon

Member:
    SoCal Yokel
    Vehicle:
    '14 SC LT Mall Runner
    Mods? Yes, oh yes..
    Vario crate here, no back seats, platform+d-rings. getting ready to do a custom crate setup in the back. we picked up another dog. if I could take the time to go to TX, rob a bank to pay for it while waiting for this guy to build a setup, I would.

http://www.kustomkrates.com/customunits.html

AwesmeChic likes this.
  3. Sep 28, 2019 at 4:59 PM
    AwesmeChic

AwesmeChic Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kara
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Grey Tacoma SR5
    Roof rails, running boards, wind deflectors, bed mat, bed cover (soft), grille guard, all weather floor mats, limo tint on windows, and leatherette seat covers.
    I agree, love their crate builds. I think I'm going to save up and just do it. I run Impact currently but they wont fit side by side for my GSDs.

20190215070631_IMG_0237.jpg

CusterFan likes this.
  4. Sep 28, 2019 at 7:11 PM
    Colemac4

Colemac4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR 6MT
    2021, 2017, 2016, 2014, 1997
    20161014_155932.jpg

Buy the Gunner. Trust me...

5. Sep 28, 2019 at 8:34 PM
    ninernation

ninernation Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    TRDOR
    OME, ALUCAB, RCI
  6. Sep 29, 2019 at 12:16 AM
    kasnerd

kasnerd candied bacon

Member:
    SoCal Yokel
    Vehicle:
    '14 SC LT Mall Runner
    Mods? Yes, oh yes..
    it's why I have the vario...had an accident, dogs were in the cab and in their wire crates. no injuries but it got me thinking, what if it was worse... googled dog wire crate accident. bought the vario the next day. absolutely a no brainer best money we've spent on the dogs. I carry bolt cutters in the truck just in case. we show/sport our dogs and seems like everyone not using impact/et al arw either loose in the car or in shit wire crates and only a matter of time before someone crashes.

also that gunner crate is practically bomb proof. I wish I could get 2x inside the cabin. spun plastic is crazy strong.

7. Sep 29, 2019 at 8:18 AM
    NC Rick

NC Rick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DC SB 4x4 Super White
    I consider the gunner to have the advantage of having smooth, energy absorbing interior as a good thing. Disadvantages are that they are not space efficient and they are heavy. The extra large we have is not particularly roomy and really a “bitch” to move up and down stairs for my old and outa shape me.

8. Sep 29, 2019 at 9:07 AM
    Colemac4

Colemac4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR 6MT
    2021, 2017, 2016, 2014, 1997
    The Gunner is certainly not light. But when Center For Pet Safety tested it - it broke their machine before it broke the kennel. If your goal is pet safety - Gunner is in a league of its own. There are other products that may "get the job done" but if you want the safest kennel money can buy get the Gunner.

Buck Rogers likes this.
  9. Sep 29, 2019 at 1:53 PM
    hallux

hallux Well-Known Member

Member:
    If I recall correctly, Gunner Kennels is the ONLY crash tested kennel on the market.

10. Sep 29, 2019 at 2:39 PM
    NC Rick

NC Rick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DC SB 4x4 Super White
    I’m a gunner owner, not trying to make a commercial. I would buy one again. The idea was to use it upstairs in our house as our Dutch Shepherd’s “house” and move it down the stairs and into our van for camping trips and such. One thing good is that it fits through the doors, it is just an absolute bear to get up and down the steps and is not getting used as often as it should. It can only improve the dogs safety if it gets used. I am not posting this as a complaint but as information for others to consider.

In my opinion the aluminum kennels look like cheese graters for pets and that is why we decided on the Gunner. Also Gunner is a small family business based in Nashville TN and offer very good customer service. The Gunner crates are not easy to break down which would help the moving problem. For a smaller dog and a medium kennel I guess many problems go away. Our large Kennel has built in wheels which help but don’t work as I envisioned.

I hope my post is helpful so some. It is a great product, if pricey.

11. Sep 29, 2019 at 4:43 PM
    kasnerd

kasnerd candied bacon

Member:
    SoCal Yokel
    Vehicle:
    '14 SC LT Mall Runner
    Mods? Yes, oh yes..
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  12. Dec 2, 2019 at 1:44 PM
    uplandtacoma

uplandtacoma Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    White 2017 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB, Black 2014 Trail 4R, Gray 2005 SR5 V8 4R
    XD Xtreme LED Pro Headlight, XD CMB Fogs, Toytec Boss Lift, Toytec 3-leaf add-a-leaf, 265/75 r16 BFG KO2, Wet Okoles, OEM Bed Mat, Home-Made bed rack, Door Sill Protector, OEM Mud Flaps, OEM roof racks, 20% tint
    Anyone know if two Gunner Kennel Intermediates will fit in-between the wheel wells?

13. Dec 2, 2019 at 1:50 PM
    AntMan408

AntMan408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota 4Runner off-road, 2022 Tacoma Offroad
    4runner: King Shocks Front/Rear SPC UCA’s SPC rear control arms Icon Rear Springs 52700 Icon Panhard Bar SCS 10’s RCI Skids and Sliders CBI Baja Bumper w/Diode dynamic lightbar RCI Roof Rack Tacoma: King Shocks Front/Rear Camburg UCA’s Deaver Expedition Stage 1 Leaf Pack SCS Gen 5 RCI Skids RCI Sliders BAMF Hybrid Bumper RCI Roof Rack
    Strongly discourage a Impact crate for traveling. Their not going to hold up what so ever for an impact. I went thru 4 of them in 6 months for home crating. Ended up just asking for my money back because I got tired of defects.

I recommend gunner for traveling, I had one and it was the most solid and secure crate I have ever seen. Impact rated and crash tested. However it was too small for my boy as I was going to use it for dual purposes.

second I recommend Ruffland kennel crates. I currently have an xl and it’s very high quality, nothing like a gunner however it’s better than any wire crate or 2 piece plastic crate.

they’ll fit in your bed or in the back of your cab if you have a double cab. The gunner will need the bed.

hallux likes this.
  14. Jan 5, 2020 at 11:20 AM
    |tacocat|

|tacocat| Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR MT Silver
    According to their website they won't. I was considering going with these: https://www.zingerwinger.com/10-DD.html

Two together just fit between the wheel wells.

15. Jan 16, 2020 at 7:43 AM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    SOS bolt-on sliders In-cab sleeping platform J-Dub IFS Skid
    Hey everyone, a little late on the uptake here but, hey, whatever :D

I have a grand plan:

1. Remove back seat, make platform
    2. Dog crate in 60% back seat (Likely, probably won't fit in the 40). I'm looking at the Ruff Land probably large (I need to find some around me and test fit, I have a 40LB catahoula but want to be able to use the same crate in the future, ~60lb size probably max for us).

Now, my girl, catahoula, loves the mud. And beach. Sand, mud, mud, mud, etc. When (a) she's muddy and (b) it's warm enough, I'd like to be able to strap the crate in the bed. Problem is, I don't want to leave it back there 24/7, since it can (a) get too cold for her back there and (b) that'll just get stolen, like, immediately. So my grand plan here is a crate with tie downs, keep it in the cabin by default, in the back 60%, and she can get in and out easily. I'll look at a cover, etc to keep mud contained inside if needed.

BUT anyway, long of the short, looking at a ruff land kennel w/ handles and tie downs. There are a few tie down options with Ruff Land
    https://rufflandkennels.com/product-category/accessories/tie-down-connectors/

Either D rings or brackets. I am leaning toward the D rings, plan is to use 4x ratchet straps in the bed for tie downs when it goes into the bed, and I'll figure out the cabin tie downs - I'm less worried about that one.

Anyone have an opinion, bracket or D rings? See any issues/concerns with my plans for the dog crate in the truck? (DC SB)

jrcuevasv likes this.
  16. Jan 16, 2020 at 7:51 AM
    hallux

hallux Well-Known Member

Member:
    Interested to see the outcome, I am interested in doing similar but with a Gunner Kennel and remove the 60% portion and keep the 40% for a child seat.

17. Jan 16, 2020 at 8:01 AM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    I'll post here when I get it set up. I'm definitely pulling a seat out, one way or another. I'm planning to kind of build my own platform off the goose gear setup - ply and 8020. Probably aiming to keep the back panel in place so that it's a hot swap to put seats back in should I need/want to.

I like the gunner but :spending: and not sure it's worth it compared to the Ruff Land. About 2x as much once I get the straps and D rings for the ruff land o_O

18. Jan 16, 2020 at 9:21 AM
    AntMan408

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    4runner: King Shocks Front/Rear SPC UCA’s SPC rear control arms Icon Rear Springs 52700 Icon Panhard Bar SCS 10’s RCI Skids and Sliders CBI Baja Bumper w/Diode dynamic lightbar RCI Roof Rack Tacoma: King Shocks Front/Rear Camburg UCA’s Deaver Expedition Stage 1 Leaf Pack SCS Gen 5 RCI Skids RCI Sliders BAMF Hybrid Bumper RCI Roof Rack
    @taco-houla I had a Gunner Large for my dude, I ended up returning it because the inside was too small. I got a Ruffland Xl, it will not fit inside the cabin of a Tacoma, even with removing the seats. The Large May fit in the back, however the issue I had with fitting the crate in the back was being able to fit it width wise thru the door frame as the door somewhat small. The intermediate would fit in the back though for sure. An intermediate would most likely fit your needs, I have a large ruffland arriving today, when it comes in I can give you a better idea on if I think it’d fit.

I ended up getting rid of my taco though because I wasn’t able to fit two crates in the cabin, I ended up getting a 4Runner so I could have both dogs in the back.

19. Jan 16, 2020 at 10:44 AM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    Man....I should have got a 4runner :D Nah, I'm happy with my bed - It's nice to have the ability to power wash it. Maybe I can convince the wife she needs a 4R when it's time to trade in her camry :)

If I went Gunner it would be the intermediate size, which I think is similar to the Ruff Land Large (outside dimensions). Realistically a RL Medium or Inter would work (and come with the handle already :mad: ), but I think the RL Large or Gunner Intermediate is the right size for long term.

Good timing on the delivery I guess! Remember I am also ripping out the seats (and if I need to, can do the back panel too, I don't have a sub so it's just a bunch of plastic bits).

Looking for a local dealer of either so I can actually bring my girl to test run her getting inside. I'll need to do an "in theory" +20% on her size for our next dogs to see that they'll work with the crate.

20. Jan 16, 2020 at 3:13 PM
    AntMan408

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    it wasn’t so much the seat, because width and height of the actual backseat with it folded down worked for a ruffland large. The thing that didn’t work was actually getting it in there. I couldn’t get it passed the actual door itself. The door fully open inpeded me getting the crate inside.

Products Discussed in

To Top