1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dog owners: Give your friend a hug tonight...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by smallcandle, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Jul 18, 2009 at 5:25 PM
    smallcandle

smallcandle [OP] The clown has no penis...

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    South-central Kansas
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD SR5 4X4
    Deck plate mod, Maglite console mount, Husky Liners front and back, Black powder coated OEM rims, BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's 265/75/16, Grillcraft MX black insert, Hella 500FF mounted behind grill
    Man, where to start? My wife and I aquired our female English Mastiff 6 1/2 years ago. A beautiful brindle color which we promptly named Tiger Lily - Lily for short.

Lily has been the most loving and sweet dog I could have ever hoped for. Granted, she is 200 lbs. and can be quite intimidating to the average passerby, but she is really just a princess who thinks she is a lap dog.

All seemed well until January of '07 when I came home one day to find Lily standing on only three legs. She couldn't put any weight on her right hind leg and seemed to be in quite a bit of discomfort. I consulted with her veterinarian the following day, and upon examination he referred me to the Teaching Hospital at Oklahoma State University in Stillwater. We took Lily down a couple of days later and were devestated to find out the she had broken her ACL and would require what is called a TPLO surgery.

So, without much choice, we left Lily in Stillwater and she had her surgery the following day. $4,000 and three months of recovery (which is normal) she was fine. We were warned, however, that Lily's left hind leg also showed signs of fatigue and that is was likely that the ACL in that leg would also eventually tear and she would need another TPLO. However, 2 1/2 years had gone by and everything seemed fine. Until two weeks ago.

Last Monday I took Lily back to OSU for an examination of her left hind leg. Sure enough, the ACL was broken and she would need to go through a second TPLO surgery. Once again, I left Lily in Stillwater and she underwent the procedure on Tuesday. The doctor called Tuesday afternoon to say everything went well and that Lily was resting comfortably. We agreed that I would come back down on Friday and bring our 200 lb. baby home. However, at 7:00 on Wednesday evening the surgeon called and said that he was concerned about Lily's right hind leg. Apparently when she stood to walk the right leg essentially "frog legged" out to the side and she was unable to bear any weight on the leg. So basically she couldn't put any weight on either hind leg. The surgeon surmised that during the three hour surgery that the prior-repaired leg had hung to the side and simply stretched out a tendon or nerve but that it should correct itself within a couple of days. But again, he wasn't convinced of this and was very concerned for her long-tern well-being.

At this point (Wednesday evening) it was apparent that Lily wouldn't be well enough to come home on Friday, so I took Thursday afternoon off and made the 1 1/2 drive to Stillwater to spend some time with her. The doctors were still baffled and concerned at this point and didn't have any idea what to expect.

And again today (Saturday), my wife and I made the drive to Stillwater to once again spend time with our "little girl" knowing full well that she wouldn't be coming home yet. We spent only 30 minutes with her today but it was obvious that she very much appreciated the visit and was desperately looking for me to take her home.

So over four days after Lily's surgery the doctors still have no solid answers on what caused this ailment of the right hind leg, nor do they have any ideas on how to fix it. Bear in mind, though, that these people are top-notch and have been nothing but compassionate and helpful during the 2 1/2 years of my dealings with them. I don't blame them in any way for this situation because I know this is a freak injury and one that they haven't seen or had any reason to be prepared for. They understand my frustrations and concerns and are doing everything they can to get Lily back up on her feet.

But here is my biggest concern - what if Lily doesn't recover? Her current state can't become indefinate because she needs to rehab her repaired left hind leg. And as of yet, the only thing they can do with her is under-water treadmill sessions twice a day. But that's not enough.

Sorry for the long and rambling post, but those of you with dogs close to your heart will surely understand my panic and guilt. So give your friend(s) a hug tonight and tell them that you love them, because tomorrow isn't guaranteed.

Here are a few pics of Lily today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jul 18, 2009 at 5:28 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    Sorry to hear that :( they are not just dogs or pets they truly are one of the family.

3. Jul 18, 2009 at 5:30 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    I'll say a little for Lilly's recovery. Don't worry about the long post, it's good to have a place to vent.

4. Jul 18, 2009 at 5:32 PM
    magikbean562

magikbean562 once flirted with danger, danger got clingy

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    pinto
    33" mudders
    sorry to hear man. heres hoping for the best:eek::thumbsup:

5. Jul 18, 2009 at 5:36 PM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    sorry to hear about lily. she is a beautiful dog and i wish ily and you the best!

6. Jul 18, 2009 at 6:00 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    Awwww, hope she gets better! I have two dogs and I got ym haircut and they don't recognize me anymore. :p

7. Jul 18, 2009 at 6:05 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    I hope all goes well for Lilly!

I have a beagle/basset hound mix who at 13 years old, going on 14 pretty soon here, and is still going strong. At 8 years old, he had his left rear ACL surgically reattached. Although he has never fully regained the muscle that was present before the tear, he gets around just fine and seems to be doing well. There weren't many people around that were willing to operate due his past history, but with a little luck we found a wonderful vet who helped us out.

Best of luck on the recovery!

8. Jul 18, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    gavonder

gavonder She's Kickass!

Member:
    Ct
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Sunroof, Leer Cap w/ Thule rack, Factory Running Boards, Fog Light Mod, Hood Struts, Scangauge, w/homemade mirror mount, AC/Defrost mod, Rear Spring TSB, TRD Center Caps
    Good luck with Lilly. Hopefully they will figure out what it is and help her.

GA

9. Jul 18, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    smallcandle

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    South-central Kansas
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD SR5 4X4
    Deck plate mod, Maglite console mount, Husky Liners front and back, Black powder coated OEM rims, BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's 265/75/16, Grillcraft MX black insert, Hella 500FF mounted behind grill
    Thank you for the kind words everyone. It's true that dogs (at least in our home) are much closer to children than pets. In fact, my wife and I don't have kids (something we agreed on 15 years ago) and consequently our dogs ARE our children.

Thank you again for keeping Lily in your thoughts.

10. Jul 18, 2009 at 6:39 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Good luck to you and Lily. I hope the best for both of you.

200 pounds!!! dang, she's a big girl.

11. Jul 18, 2009 at 7:15 PM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    she's a great looking dog! I hope the poor girl gets better soon. Hang in there, I bet it's tough on you, hopefully things will turn out for the best and she will be home soon enough.

12. Jul 18, 2009 at 7:21 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Hope your baby gets better soon and you can bring her home. :pray: :pray: for her recovery.

They are members of the family, not just a pet.

13. Jul 18, 2009 at 7:27 PM
    MiikeyD

MiikeyD The Green Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Upland, CA
    Vehicle:
    Green Prerunner DC 2.7L
    Suspension / Wheels / Tires 3.5" Fabtech lift w/ AAL 265/75/16 BFG A/T American Racing Baja Audio Alpine HU CDA-9886 Kicker DS650 Z-Edition 1000W Memphis M3 US Amps 4000W 2.5Farad Cap Lighting 6000K HID 2 Hella 500FF 2 Aux Bed Lights 2 Aux Driving Lights Performance Volant CAI Flomaster Super 44 Doug Thorley Long Tube headers (coming soon) NGK Iridium Sparkplugs Accessories Scanguage II Cobra LTD27-NW with 3' Firestik Radio Shack Triple Trunking Scanner Harbor Freight Hi-Lift Cosmetics Flat Black Bumper Trim Flat Black Grill Surrounding with Satoshi Clear Corners Future Modifications (not specific) Longtravel w/ king shocks or fox Caged bed Shackles rear suspension. Fox / king shocks custom front bumper Custom Glassworks extreme kit for 01-04 (only have hood and passenger side.. need driver panel) Supercharger + 8port intake manifold optima yellow top battery remounted new rims caged interior rear bench removal 4 sparc
    dont worry lily will be alright, as long as you visit her she will be happy and im pretty damn sure she was super happy to see you guys there. these dogs are not just pets, they are just like family .

14. Jul 18, 2009 at 7:44 PM
    Ty's Taco

Ty's Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner SR5 Sport Pearl Black
    Ask visa or my wife. They both constantly remind me how much I've got left to spend.
    So sorry about your dog. She looks a lot like my Aslan and I know how much they grow on you. Mastiffs are gentle giants and are truly a pleasure to have.Picture009_31fe0d6a952842e1c27fc65c8d461cba6660f9b9.jpg

15. Jul 18, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    Im sorry to hear what you are going through my two dogs are my life. On the same page of your story my room mate in college had a 6year old boxer who was about 120lbs and he tore his ACL in the hind leg and the vet told my friend that the surgery for his dog in his case would not help, bruno the boxer recovered from it healing on his own every now and again would have a small limp but he lived to be 10 and had to be put down from a brain tumor. Either way I wish your family and lilly the best and Im sure you will have great years to come with your 4 leeged friend.

16. Jul 18, 2009 at 8:15 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Prayers being sent for you and Lilly.

17. Jul 18, 2009 at 8:20 PM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    Prayers to you and your Lily, from me and my Lily.

18. Jul 18, 2009 at 9:49 PM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    I gave my Lily a hug, give your Lily a hug for me too!

19. Jul 19, 2009 at 5:59 AM
    Hot Tamale

Hot Tamale Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access Cab 4x2
    Best wishes for Lily's recovery. SHe's a beauty! Sorry she had to go through all of this (and you and your wife too!). :pray:

20. Jul 19, 2009 at 7:01 AM
    smallcandle

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    South-central Kansas
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD SR5 4X4
    Thanks so much! I'll be sure to give Lily a big hug for you and yours when I see her again on Wednesday.

Products Discussed in

To Top