1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Don't buy Volant Cold Air Intake!

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by Trowbocop, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Feb 12, 2013 at 9:44 PM
    Trowbocop

Trowbocop [OP] Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Anybody know if a deckplate mod'd stock airbox will pass? How about if it doesn't have the hole plugged with that piece? Basically just a stock air box with a giant hole in it...

2. Feb 12, 2013 at 10:04 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Not sure exactly how smog regulations are, but I feel as though you could easily fail the visual inspection portion of the smog check if you do the deckplate mod. But hell, if you have a black airbox and black plate and leave it in during inspection you might be alright.

3. Feb 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    That's why I bought the black one! :D but I am curious about the deckplate passability. I know popping the plate in will return the stock airflow but it doesn't correct the fuel to air ratio that has become accustomed to the additional airflow. I'm thinking you'd have to run it closed for a few days before you smog it

4. Feb 17, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    RJ MacReady

RJ MacReady professional trousersnake charmer

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ/Mike Hauncho/HeavyHands
    US OUTPOST North 31-Mayday Mayday! We've found som
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner 4WD LTD - Cheatin' Bitch Build 2
    Cheatin' bitch build 2: All stock for now... 99' Tacoma 4wd TRD Cheatin' bitch build 1: BG44K additive, motul 5w40(always), deckplate mod, K&N washable air filter, 2.5" flow master(cut thanks to Airdog), king fronts 2.5", all pro standard leaf pk, stainless steel rear ext brakeline, 5125's 10" travel rears, 4-jasper offroad 6" pod LED spot lights, secret compartment for small bottle of wild turkey, cobra CB, Hi-lift jack w/locking bed mount, hi lift curved bumper lift & road base plate, smittybuilt X20 winch, wab fab F&R bumpers w/ hitch receivers, smittybuilt 4in1 recov tool, 10gal mini flamethrower, 11 lbs dynamite sticks, 13 4-hr snowflares, .50Cal full auto mounted machine gun w/ RPG unit & a shitoad of death metal to fuckstart your brain...everything you need for first contact with a shape-shifting alien entity frozen for over 100,000 years reanimated & immitating all life it engulfs.
    have a deckplate mod'd stocker n passed both.
    really feel like its just the shop's discression.
    Hope one way or another that you don't run into any other problems OP.

5. Feb 22, 2013 at 8:04 PM
    Trowbocop

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Thanks for all of your input everybody. I ended up finding somebody on here who was willing to part with their completely stock intake for a good price. I will throw that bad boy on, and not have to stress. Didn't want to waste my time and another of my buddies to swap for the deckplate hole'd intake (he doesn't have a cap yet) if it wasn't for sure going to pass. Now I'm positive I'll pass..and hell, if he doesn't he can borrow my new one haha.

6. Feb 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Maybe change the title of this thread, but curious how do you like the volant? I just installed one myself but only have 2 days of driving so far, I haven't decided if I like it or not and whether or not I'll keep it.

7. Feb 27, 2013 at 1:02 PM
    Trowbocop

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I'm installing a stock intake this sunday, so I'll be able to give you a direct heads up on difference.

My Volant filter is packed with mud/dirt, so I've got to clean it out while it's off. Which I'm sure hasn't been working as well as it could due to this. But after I get my smog check passed, I'll give a more up to date direct comparison after I re-install my Volant.

Edit: Don't know how to change the title of the thread, but would change it to: Volant CAI Doesn't Pass SMOG Check in CA

8. May 20, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    Bridgerb123

Bridgerb123 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma sport
    TRD Exhaust 3inch lift Access bed cover Rims/tires
    I have a 05 tacoma and would like to put one on my truck but I heard that once you put it on the MAF sensor doesn't work correctly and people say (from what I read) you have to buy the URD MAF calibrator ( which is another $300!!!). Is this true for those with the volant intake? How about the trd intake or any other for that matter. I just the the volant due to the additional scoop you can get.

Also I would like one that isn't extremely loud just driving around but of course any of them will be loud when you punch it! S far sound like the volant wins that battle but just let me know of your experience with these intakes! Thanks!

9. Jun 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    liguy

liguy Active Member

Member:
    Massapequa, NY
    Vehicle:
    B2600i
    received my 2013 Tacoma... had previously ordered the Volant CAI while waiting for truck delivery.
    now that both arrived, I found that the Volant mounting holes for the EOM air pump are misaligned... the rubber mounting plugs pop out of the airbox because they can't handle the sideways strain of the misalignment.
    called Volant... got, let's say, less than a luke-warm interest in my problem... waiting now with the OEM intake removed and the truck down... Volant says I might get a replace in a week or so.
    stand by for follow-up... personally, I wouldn't recommend at this point.

volant misalignment.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top