1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Don't know where to start troubleshooting this sound problem...

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by kingston73, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Oct 21, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    ....and it's actually a little hard to describe. I've got an OEM stereo in my 01 1st gen, with the 6 speaker set up (4 in the doors, 2 in the back) with a USAspec unit hooked in so my Sirius Sportster is hardwired into the system, and I can plug my MP3 player in also.

It's starting to act 'weird', the headunit itself has some issues now and sometimes doesn't want to switch from radio to cd to aux input, I'm assuming that is the head unit and there isn't anything to be done about that other than buy a new unit. The weird problem is with my sound, every now and then I'll go around a corner or maybe over a hard bump and all of a sudden it's a different quality, like the bass wasn't playing well and suddenly it's back. Where should I even start with this?

2. Oct 23, 2010 at 3:23 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Try taking the plugs out of the usa spec unit and let it chill for a few mins. Reconnect and see. Obese having some probe with my USA spec iPod unit. The above solved everything.

3. Dec 2, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I've let this sit for a while trying different things and trying my best to troubleshoot things. I enlisted my wife to help and finally figured out the sound moves side to side but neither side is entirely silenced. It basically seems like, for no apparent reason at all, the sound will be reduced in volume and fidelity and also seems to shift to the left side a little bit. I have shifted the sound using the headunit so it plays in each individual corner and none of the speakers are broken or non-functional. Like I said above, my stock JVC head unit doesn't work all that well, but also my USA SPEC is about 6 or 7 years old now. How do I figure out which one is the cause, or how do I eliminate either one? I know the easiest way would be to just unplug the USA SPEC and see if the problem still exists, but my radio button stopped working and won't switch and the tape player quit working a few years ago.

Products Discussed in

To Top