1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Double Cab find

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ontarioyota, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Feb 29, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    ontarioyota

ontarioyota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    @scott777taco INSTAGRAM
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2001 Reg Cab 4x4
    Blacked out badges-rims OME lift with 881's & dakar pacs, summer tires=BFG 31x10.5x15 on 93 4runner rims,winter= 265 75 16 DURATRACS on stock steelies,Flowmaster exhaust, deck plate mod, ARB front bumper
    Found a 2001 4x4 DCab TRD off road loaded with sunroof yesterday.

Only 120,000 kms....about 72,000 miles

Found at a YOTA dealership...they took it on a trade 2 days ago....have not even tried to sell it yet.

Was tempted to grab it as they only wanted $9800 as is prior to reconditioning.

The good
    -newer mich LTX tires
    -bought and serviced at this dealer...was able to view all service invoices for the 11 years!!!
    -frame looked good but had that black goo dealer frame protection crap on it.....checked it out well....seemed decent
    -low milage!!
    -belt and H2O pump replaced at 55,000 kms..??? I thought why but old service invoice showed this job was done under warranty due to coolant leak
    -test drive was fine...straight and true, elocker engaged as well as 4x4
    -no mods at all
    - old tonneu and also line Xed

The Bad
    -interior tough and well worn
    -e brake seized up when i tried it
    -check engine light on
    -condensation in all tail, corner and turn sig lights(only one on my truck has this problem)
    -body and paint decent..not mint
    -rear chome bumper totally rusted through all 10 inches below licence plate

For such a rare truck (with low miles)I felt it was a fair price.....certainly not a "clean" truck so to speak!

Opinions on this truck and price??

Thanks

2. Feb 29, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    DNG

DNG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    White 01 DC PreRunner
    You should check what codes the CEL throw. That'll be a good sign of whether or not the truck is a good deal.

Bumper rusting through would also be something I'd look into. 72,000 miles with a factory bumper should be rusting that much. It could be an aftermarket bumper, which tells you the car has been in some kind of wreck.

3. Feb 29, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    ontarioyota

Member:
    First Name:
    @scott777taco INSTAGRAM
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2001 Reg Cab 4x4
    Blacked out badges-rims OME lift with 881's & dakar pacs, summer tires=BFG 31x10.5x15 on 93 4runner rims,winter= 265 75 16 DURATRACS on stock steelies,Flowmaster exhaust, deck plate mod, ARB front bumper
    good points...thanks

4. Feb 29, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    JSFoster75

JSFoster75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Bluff City, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
    Too many to list.
    I'm always concerned when I see a low mileage truck with a poorly kept interior/exterior. If a person stinks at taking care of those things, they likely don't do really well at changing the oil and other routine maintenance items... Not always of course, but I think with the ebrake seizing up and the other items you mentioned, I'd look really carefully at it and consider offering them about $800 less, or $9,800 once it's reconditioned...

Also, that check engine light could be simple, or it could be a persistent problem with the truck that could cause major headaches down the road... A truck with under 80,000 miles with a check engine light on really worries me...

5. Feb 29, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    ontarioyota

Member:
    First Name:
    @scott777taco INSTAGRAM
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2001 Reg Cab 4x4
    saw all service invoices....oil change every 5000 kms, plus all scheduled maintanence...this part i liked

if i make a move on it will take to my mechanic first

6. Feb 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    Common, man. You can't hog all the Toyota trucks! :D

7. Feb 29, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    ontarioyota

Member:
    First Name:
    @scott777taco INSTAGRAM
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2001 Reg Cab 4x4
    yea....LOL...thought about getting the DCab taco and selling the Tundra to reduce debt but I know I would regret it and the mpg difference is minimal and the tundra is a really nice truck....only about 42,000 miles and like new

Kind of want it for my 19 yr old son but I cant swing it by myself $-wise but he may sell his ride to raise some cash...problem is it will be gone soon.

I am also in love with my Taco so much to even consider moving it to get the DCab

8. Mar 1, 2012 at 1:21 PM
    jeepdude

jeepdude Regular Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2004 ext cab 4x4 TRD, bone stock for now
    As someone also on the hunt for a Tacoma, that is an awesome price for the miles. I find in my area, the low mile trucks for sale were formerly registered as commercial vehicles, or lease, which may account for the beatup interior...something I'm also running into alot. A rented steam vac will help, but nothing can cheaply fix broken and drilled plastic, etc. Look above the fuse hatch to see any evidence of a plow control box mount too. I agree with you on the frame goo...you just can't really see what was covered up. A little polish, real carnuba wax and an afternoon of you labor will make the paint sing, much better than that spray-on silicone crap they apply that lasts 7 days. Ebrake an easy fix, bumper issue seems to be common, and a few hundred will find you a decent one in a scrap yard. See what the engine code is, that could be a deal killer

9. Mar 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    ontarioyota

Member:
    First Name:
    @scott777taco INSTAGRAM
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2001 Reg Cab 4x4

Great points...thank you....

Products Discussed in

To Top