1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Double Cab owners....please pop in for a sec

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ItalynStylion, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Jun 26, 2009 at 9:40 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion [OP] Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I recently (last week) got a Double Cab and I'm already planning out my system that I'm going to put in. I'm an audiophile and I build/sell the stuff so even though the truck is new I'm still planning things out.

My question for all of you is about the bins under the rear seats. If you take out the plastic bins are you left with a drastically different area or is it much the same as it looks? Also, with the bins taken out is the volume area at the bottom sealed? For instance, if you were to take out the plastic liner and pour a bunch of water in; would it go anywhere?

When I get the time I'm going to pull it out and see for myself but I'm hoping I can get some help from the veterans first who have experience or quite possibly pictures :D

2. Jun 26, 2009 at 9:52 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB OR 4x4 & 15 Mustang GTPP
    Too few to list. 10 4runner SR5 4x4- 09 Pre-Runner TRD-OR AC- 14 Prius Two- 08 xB
    I have not taken out the plastic liners but I believe underneath is just sheet metal from the cab. I have seen other trucks with the bins taken out and replaces with custom boxes that held their amps powering custom sub enclosures behind the back seat.

3. Jun 26, 2009 at 9:54 AM
    Hollywood22

Hollywood22 Wranglin the Badger

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Generation X
    OME Lift, LR UCA's
    I won't be much help to you but I did read a thread where a guy put in a dynamite system I will try and dig that thread up for you. It is very good in the sense it gives you detailed instructions and pics. Will probably give you some great ideas.

4. Jun 26, 2009 at 9:56 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    I guess I should explain myself a bit more. My plan is to use the naked bin as a sub enclosure. That's right, I don't plan to put an enclosure IN it but use the walls as a piece of the enclosure itself.

The idea is that if the bin area is sealed off and air tight I could just use a top baffle to seal the top and mount the speakers to it. I'm guessing that there are a few pieces of sheet metal that come together under there and might need some silicone or PE construction adhesive to fill some small gaps.

5. Jun 26, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    Hollywood22

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Generation X
    OME Lift, LR UCA's
  6. Jun 26, 2009 at 10:03 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man, I've read through that thread before. But I'm talking about the bins UNDER the seats. The ones that have those little flap covers.

7. Jun 26, 2009 at 10:07 AM
    TacticalBacon13

TacticalBacon13 Sorry for party rockin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dunk
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra platinum
    baby seat and a muffler
    i have seen guys mount amps in those areas but dont think there is a whole lotta space under them. pull em out and find out!:thumbsup:

8. Jun 26, 2009 at 10:08 AM
    Hollywood22

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Generation X
    OME Lift, LR UCA's
    Sorry...then I can't help...I'm useless when it comes to mechanical stuff...someone will be along to give you hand, I'm sure...good luck...and if you ever figure it out, post some pics...I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to do with my 09 when i get it...I heard the factory systems bite.

9. Jun 26, 2009 at 10:21 AM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    Those bins come out with 9 little push pin clips, and there is about a spare inch on the front side, and perhaps a 1/2 inch on the bottom and rear. I had mine out (along with the rest of the cab) to lay down my dynamat and a 1/2 inch of sound absorbent foam a few weeks ago.

I don't think there is room for any new speakers, though. I suppose you could get a pair of 6x9s in there, along with their amp, but that would be about the extent of it.

I have the JBL system in my truck, and while I'm not an audiophile per se, I think it does a great job. I'd say it scores a solid 8.5/10. There are nicer systems out there, like the 13 speaker set up in my 2005 Saab 9-3, but these are within spitting distance of each other.

Since you don't own a truck yet, I'd suggest you demo a JBL before getting too far.

10. Jun 26, 2009 at 10:42 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Brando, I do already own the truck.

And yes, there is plenty of space for subs. That's not even a question. The proper question is what KIND of subs ;)

I'll get this done no doubt, it will take me some time to plan everything out. I could bang it out in a weekend for sure but when it comes to my own car I like to make sure I've got a good plan.

You mentioned that there was about a spare inch on the front side, is that metal wall a single ply? Meaning, if I cut a hole through that am I going right though the vertical carpet area?

11. Jun 26, 2009 at 10:45 AM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    There is about an inch of dead space between the front side of the plastic bin and the vertical steel and carpet. I think it was a single layer. I know I was awfully cautious of placing my feet while I had it down to bare metal - damn thing was sharp!

If you have some spare time, pop it out. It should take you about 10 minutes.

12. Jun 26, 2009 at 10:59 AM
    Toy Taco

Toy Taco Golden Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 dub cab trd off rd. spinnin all 4 tires
    the ones that do stuff
    There is definitely room to fit a decent size sub in the under seat cubby space, but you are going to run into problems with getting the air volume of the sealed chamber to match the sub... being an audiophile myself you know how important this is to getting a clean sounding sub with no resonant frequencies... you are also going to have to dynamat the heck out of it, probably silicone some holes and seams. Good idea dude and good luck getting it to work.

I really like my JBL system with the 8" sub behind the rear seats. Granted it is still a stock system and leaves A LOT to desire but for what it is it works just fine 90% of the time. I am getting old too though... I kind of miss the days with 2 12" Kove audio subs and 1200Watt amp... that was just silly :)

13. Jun 26, 2009 at 11:31 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    I know a few creative ways to alter the airspace to get what I need out of it. I'll let on with the details as I get closer to building something. For now I'll just have myself a look around in the bin once I get out the plastic part. It should be fairly epic once I execute my plan. Check up on the Audio section of the forum in about 3 months. I should have something for you guys by then.

14. Jun 26, 2009 at 1:16 PM
    Toy Taco

Toy Taco Golden Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 dub cab trd off rd. spinnin all 4 tires
    the ones that do stuff
    looking forward to it, maybe steal some ideas from you down the line...

To Top