1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Double cab owners with children

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by phsycle, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Jan 5, 2017 at 4:03 PM
    phsycle

phsycle [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    For those with kids, how well has the double cab treated you? I'm not talking day-to-day schlepping around, as any vehicle can do that. But more for camping/road trip type of outings. Did the kids find the room in the back lacking? General level of comfort on long trips?

I'll have 2 kids in the back soon. Both in car seats. We may, on occasion, have an adult back there as well. I've always had Toyota trucks, so I want to stay loyal. But the rear seat space concerns me a bit.

I looked at Tundra's as well, but they just don't fit in the garage.

2. Jan 5, 2017 at 4:07 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    I go on multi-day camping trips with a four year old and my wife back there (daughter insists on someone sitting next to her). Works fine. @Crom has two daughters in the back and wife in the front on big long trips to. Check out his build thread for lots of trip reports with the four of them.

Crom likes this.
  3. Jan 5, 2017 at 4:09 PM
    spiralout462

spiralout462 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Shore VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 dclb
    Icon suspension '15 toyota nav TRD FJ SE anthracite wheels Weathertechs Trd pro pieces
    We love the Tacoma for our outdoor excursions. My two children are 9 and 11. It is plenty of room for us, and all our junk. Of couse there are no carseats anymore ( thank goodness). We use the Highlander for long road trips.

Crom likes this.
  4. Jan 5, 2017 at 4:11 PM
    TRD Fisher

TRD Fisher Well-Known Member

Member:
    Abingdon, MD
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport
    I have a 2014 DC SB. I have a 7 year old and she loves it. There is plenty of room for her. We drove 6.5 hours over Thanksgiving and we had no issues. The other side of the seat was full of stuff so it was like we had a second child back there.

As far as adults- my daughter is still in a booster and we have had her and two adults in the back with no problem. We find the Tacoma has more room and is more comfortable than our 12 CRV.

As far as car seats and an adult, I do not have experience with that.

We looked at both the tundra and the Tacoma before I bought mine , as it was Toyota or nothing, and for me the Tundra was more than we needed.

Crom likes this.
  5. Jan 5, 2017 at 4:13 PM
    balljoint

balljoint Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCLB
    Two kids, now 11 and 8, had my '05 from new. Kids both came home from the hospital in it (through snow storms) and have been growing up in it. Nothing better than a double cab pickup. Regular 2+ hour drives to go skiing, camping etc. Never had a problem fitting in over a decade. I'm 6'. The 11 year old is now 5'.

Bushed and Crom like this.
  6. Jan 5, 2017 at 4:13 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    We have two car seats, kids aged 6 and 4 now. We've done 12 hour road trips in a day when they were small and baby was eating mush. Now we can go same distance in 8 hours.

In a nutshell, we make the Tacoma space work for us.

They were being silly with their blankets in the photo!
    [​IMG]

Axion, SC2SC, wagerhope and 1 other person like this.
  7. Jan 5, 2017 at 4:14 PM
    Yoda2009

Yoda2009 Yoda2009

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lbi
    Vehicle:
    2009 tocoma sr5 base
    Plastic dip badges. Upgraded head unit, husky floor liners, BFG ko2 tires.
    We love our Tacoma as well. Our son is 1 with a rear facing seat. My wife is 5'2 so no problems with front seat. Other than that day to day is good. And over summer we went to Maine. All was good on long ride, and love having the bed to throw stuff in. With the cap on it . It's like having an SUV with fold down seats 24/7. Thumbs up!

Crom likes this.
  8. Jan 5, 2017 at 4:17 PM
    02YotaGuy

02YotaGuy Guy With A Red 80 Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Springfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    94 FZJ80
    Bumper, Winch, 315s, Sliders, OME HD lift, Custom rear swingout, roof rack, drawers, way too much to list.
    I haven't had any opportunities to take "long" trips, but we did a ~4 hours light off-roading trip with 3 adults and 2 kids (both in car/booster seats) It was fine, after about 2 hours I was the only one awake so it didn't really matter.
    4Runners and Landcruisers have the 3rd row option and are very capable off road. We took my moms stock LX450 (FZJ80) from Dallas to Colorado with all 7 seats occupied and did Tin Cup Pass in it (as lifted FJ Cruisers turned around)

9. Jan 5, 2017 at 4:21 PM
    SC2SC

SC2SC Likes Pineapple on Pizza

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    South of Charlotte
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB MGM TRD OR 4X4
    Icon Custom Build Custom Exhaust • SOS Sliders• RokBlokz
    My boys are 8 and 11. They fit fine, even on long trips.

I also drive boys on scout campouts/camps. No problem.

I did however, purchase a UWS truck tool box for any extra cab type items since I do not have a tonnou or a shell.

ovrlndkull and Crom like this.
  10. Jan 5, 2017 at 4:24 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    We take the truck on all road trips. Got a 9 y/o and a 22 y/o. Haven't heard any complaints out of either one. Longest has been a 6 hour trip.

Take the truck to Arkansas every year hunting with 4-5 adults in it. No complaints there either and it's a 9 hour trip.

Crom likes this.
  11. Jan 5, 2017 at 4:25 PM
    BrettBretterson

BrettBretterson Wild Ginger

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    I just sold my double cab because it was cramped with my 2 car seats. Doable, yes, I did it for the last year and a half, but it leaves almost no extra room, and the passenger seat had to be slid very far forward, luckily my wife isn't tall.

It's personal opinion though, lots of people will say there's plenty of room, when in reality there's only enough room for it to work. You just need to be honest with yourself about if you can accept that. I did it for as long as I wanted to, I'm much happier in a full size now.

12. Jan 5, 2017 at 4:33 PM
    ThaiChillyTaco

ThaiChillyTaco David aka Chilly aka Booty Freak

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Goose Creek - South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey TRD Off-road 4x4 Longbed
    Rough Country 3.5 Lift SCS BR6 wheels rolling in 285/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks
    Kids can easily fit in the back as long as the front seats aren't pushed all the way back.
    Throw anything not needed in the bed of Tacoma and you'll be good to go. :benchpress:

robssol and SC2SC like this.
  13. Jan 5, 2017 at 4:37 PM
    Louisd75

Louisd75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Washington
    Vehicle:
    '02 Xtra Cab, '15 DCSB
    We've done one camping trip and one long (3 week) road trip so far with a 3 year old in a rear facing car seat mounted in the middle. My (admittedly small) wife would ride behind the passenger seat for entertainment/feeding, etc. They both had plenty of room. Now we've got a 3 1/2 year old and a month old, both rear facing. The younger is in the middle position, the older is behind the passenger seat. My wife still prefers sitting in back where she can keep an eye on them. The toddler is getting close to the weight limit for rear facing. Right now there's not much room in the front passenger seat, but that will change when we turn her around.

I have a couple of friends who traded in their Tacomas for F150's. The amount of space they have in back is palatial. I'm not sure which cab model they have, but there's enough room to install the car seat and then pass between the car seat and passenger/driver seat without turning sideways. I do get a little envious of the amount of space they have, but the Tacoma is about the biggest that will fit in the garage. FWIW, both buddies regret letting go of their Tacomas but couldn't justify multiple vehicles.

14. Jan 5, 2017 at 6:31 PM
    SourCreamTaco92

SourCreamTaco92 New Member

Member:
    Southeast Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC SB TRD OR
    I actually just bought a double cab Tacoma in November for a field service job I just got in Michigan.

Long story short, I'm a Texas native as is my wife and we have 2 boys (2.5 and 1.5), I bought the truck in Texas as I transitioned out of my previous job and we packed the bed up and loaded a U-Haul trailer up as well and moved up to Michigan from Texas in one shot.

The boys rode in back and my wife and I up front. We ended up taking 36 hours to get here including naps, gas and baby-related stops. All in all, though the drive was nightmarish in and of itself, the Tacoma was comfortable for everyone all things considered.

We plan to spend some time in the northern part of Michigan for camping/off-roading come Spring, but based on the moving trip I think the truck will be plenty spacious for that purpose even with the whole family. It's definitely smaller than a full size but it's more spacious by far than the little Taurus we were driving before.

Crom likes this.
  15. Jan 5, 2017 at 6:38 PM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    I'm with you. I've got 2 in car seats and it's like a can of sardines. I don't have any plans of getting back into a Tundra, but I'm definitely not going to act like there is plenty of room on the inside. Both front seats are as far forward as comfortably possible to make room for the ridiculous size of the car seats compared to the minuscule amount of room in the Tacoma.

1 kid was great. 2 kids crossed the line.

This is my opinion. I understand others feel there is plenty of room. :hattip:

16. Jan 5, 2017 at 7:22 PM
    BrettBretterson

BrettBretterson Wild Ginger

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    I absolutely miss my Tacoma, but I don't regret selling it. I will be back in a Tacoma one day when it fits my needs better again, it is after all the best truck out there, but in the meantime I certainly don't regret letting go of it for something that fits my current use better.

Exactly. When I had 1 car seat in the middle, there was plenty of room all around. As soon as you put them behind the front seats though, it is instantly cramped.

Again, it's totally doable, I just get tired of so many pretending like there's so much room even with car seats behind the front seats. Let's just be honest, no matter how doable it is, it's cramped!

PS, this is exactly why I said that the OP needs to decide for himself if he can accept the fact that it's cramped. I realize not everyone wants or needs a bigger truck, obviously plenty of people are content with the amount of space the Tacoma offers.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  17. Jan 5, 2017 at 7:54 PM
    JeffreyB

JeffreyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab 2.7 5 Speed 4X4
    Access cab is where it is at. Is it too late in your state to change your mind?

(Kidding)

:crapstorm:

Brice likes this.
  18. Jan 5, 2017 at 8:33 PM
    Big Sky Country

Big Sky Country Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TX Pro
    Century topper, OME 885x, Nitrochargers, full Dakars
    I have '13 DCSB with a 3 year old and 9 month old in the back. It's perfect for the two of them with enough separation that they can't touch each other but still enough room for a diaper bag or extra duffel inbetween.
    We have a cabin 2.5 hrs away and oftentimes we'll load my mother-in-mother-in-law in the front seat and my wife will sit between the kids. My wife rarely complains once she's back there. Occasionally she'll kick up her feet up on the center console.
    I actually pulled the trigger on this truck after we found out we were having a second kid and don't regret it a bit. However, it wouldn't be possible without our topper (tonneau at minimum). Hope this helps.

19. Jan 5, 2017 at 8:39 PM
    Juddish

Juddish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma SR5 4x4 LB
    I have a 3 y/o and 1 y/o. The Tacoma is our primary road trip vehicle. Mainly due to the storage capabilities with a tonneau cover. It's great. I am 6'2 and my wife is reasonably tall. It suites all of our needs. Very thankful for the truck!

vicali and Feliciayota1024 like this.
  20. Jan 5, 2017 at 9:18 PM
    Sae68

Sae68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JimS
    Stockton, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 FJ 4x4 PreRunner
    Tacoma DCSB is definitely more than enough room for my family of 4. My go to vehicle for more room.

Products Discussed in

To Top