1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Double cab P/W switches in an access cab

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Muddinfun, May 23, 2017.

1. May 23, 2017 at 9:08 PM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    In case anyone is wondering, yes, you can put the power window switch assembly from a double cab into an access cab. The whole assembly just snaps into the door panel. Stick a knife under the front edge and lift carefully to remove the existing switch assembly. Why would someone want to do this? Because I want to use the 2 additional switches for something else. I'm going to wire 1 of the switches to unlock my Pop n Lock. Apparently, only locking and unlocking it when you need it, extends the life of the cheap plastic. I am going to wire the keyless entry to always lock the tailgate, but only unlock the tailgate with the extra window switch. Someone on here wired the tailgate to the accessory button on the key fob. I have the switchblade key, so I don't have that option. I have the switch assembly in the truck. I just haven't wired up the 2 extra switches. In order to install the assembly, you need to make sure to get the DC wire connector and a little bit of wire. The white plastic connectors are different. All of the wire colors match up between the 2 assemblies. So, carefully map out the colors on the DC connector. Remove the wires from both connectors. The 2 wires for the door locks on the DC use smaller terminals. So, take the 2 small terminals and solder the wires onto the matching color wires on the AC wires. Then you just snap all the wires into the DC white plastic connector. Then you will have 4 extra wire pigtails to power additional things. I know some of you are thinking, "but the P/W switches are on key power". There is a relay that supplies power to the P/W switches. I am going to jumper the relay to supply constant power. The power windows will work anytime and so will my additional switches. IF YOU HAVE YOUNG KIDS, THIS MAY NOT BE GOOD FOR YOU. There is a small LED that illuminates the "auto" switch. If you are concerned about this running the battery dead over a months time, you could easily snip it from the PCB. The other switch, I am going to wire to my winch in and out. However, there will be an additional switch and relays to disable the winch switch. I may come up with an additional measure of safety for the winch.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Dragons Taco likes this.
  2. May 24, 2017 at 6:37 AM
    11DBJR

11DBJR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    O'side, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab 6-speed manual
    This was something I was thinking about recently and was trying to get my friends to go play at the salvage yards to find one. Do you have pics of the DC switch setup? I was originally hoping that the Access Cab switch was was shorter than the DC so I could put in my own switches entirely but I guess both are about the same size?

Anyway, cool idea!

3. May 24, 2017 at 7:00 AM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    The switch "bank" is definitely longer on the DC, but what makes this swap possible is that the grey (or tan) panel that snaps in is the same size. If you search ebay for Tacoma power window switch, there are a ton of pics. That's where I bought mine. I searched until I found a used one with the wire connector.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top