1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Double cab platform for my dogs

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DueNorth, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Dec 16, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    cactuscorn

cactuscorn Another FNG

Member:
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD OR AT DCLB w/JBL Premium Package
    Ironman Stage 2 FCP 3" lift kit, Ironman skid plate kit, C4 Fab Hybrid front bumper and frame supports, C4 Fab sliders, Smittybuilt X2O 10k lb winch, Diode Dynamics Pro fogs, Baja Designs Sport fogs, Falken Rubitrek AT's, Midland Micro MXT275 GMRS radio, Victory 4x4 hood hinge antenna mount, ARE MX shell, 12 Volt Solutions remote starter w/ phone app module, Overland Equipped aux power tray/Blue Sea 12 circut ST blade fuse block w/ 187 series 100a circut breaker, OEM bedmat and floor mats, Hooke Road tailgate cover, JDM ASTAR 800 lumen LED reverse bulbs, iOttie wireless phone charger, blue LED dome light, back seat dog bed and rear seat12v/USB ports, Ironman diff breather, ac drain mod,, tons of rad recovery equipment and every cubbyhole filled with crap. On order: Method MR 316 wheels and 285/70R/17 BFG KO2's.
    i just had a constructive thought while sittin on the back porch with odus and layla: could ya build it with a larger opening that would allow the use of a reinforced tab which slid into the d rings? maybe somethin as simple as riveting a 4"x4" plate of sheetmetal on both sides of the upper panel over the carpet. easy in, easy out.

2. Dec 16, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    DueNorth

DueNorth [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BSP TRD Sport DCSB 6sp

I think you may be on to something with that idea. Pad lock works fine for now but when i make version 3.0 (lol on my second platform now) i may incorporate something like that. On longer road trips i usually put a dog bed in the back seat just for comfort. I was also wanting to make a bed platform for myself to sleep on once i have a topper, but tucking padding under the carpet may be a bit of a PITA. I was thinking of just using a close-cell foam roll or something like that....

3. Dec 16, 2010 at 2:49 PM
    cactuscorn

cactuscorn Another FNG

Member:
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Ironman Stage 2 FCP 3" lift kit, Ironman skid plate kit, C4 Fab Hybrid front bumper and frame supports, C4 Fab sliders, Smittybuilt X2O 10k lb winch, Diode Dynamics Pro fogs, Baja Designs Sport fogs, Falken Rubitrek AT's, Midland Micro MXT275 GMRS radio, Victory 4x4 hood hinge antenna mount, ARE MX shell, 12 Volt Solutions remote starter w/ phone app module, Overland Equipped aux power tray/Blue Sea 12 circut ST blade fuse block w/ 187 series 100a circut breaker, OEM bedmat and floor mats, Hooke Road tailgate cover, JDM ASTAR 800 lumen LED reverse bulbs, iOttie wireless phone charger, blue LED dome light, back seat dog bed and rear seat12v/USB ports, Ironman diff breather, ac drain mod,, tons of rad recovery equipment and every cubbyhole filled with crap. On order: Method MR 316 wheels and 285/70R/17 BFG KO2's.
    glad i could offer ya a idea worth a 3.0. re: the bed platform in back, i was considerin using dense memory foam placed under the carpet before i stapled it to the wood which will be built in 3 or more sections laid crossways in the bed of the truck. still workin out the plans in my head since ive got time before i can swing the costs of the platform and cap. once im close, i may try to draw up and post plans for feedback. till then im payin close attention to others builds for ideas and talkin with a few folks here.

4. Dec 16, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    badboyrr

badboyrr Well-Known Member

Member:
    spring branch TX
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    matching topper, rear air bags
    Kick-ass, nice job!:yay:

5. Dec 16, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    cactuscorn

cactuscorn Another FNG

Member:
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    clear winner of the 2010 TW "cutest puppy contest"! i say enter it in the "what do ya keep in yer double cab?" tourney

6. Dec 16, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:

I like your idea with the 3 sections. Easy to remove and take down when needed and should be fairly easy to design. I take it you have a 6 ft box? I have a 5 ft box so i'll have to incorporate some sort of ledge to fold down level with the platform onto the tailgate. I'm 6'2" so hopefully my feet won't dangle too much over the ledge... There's quite a few different setups around here on TW, so lots of great ideas to pick from once the time comes.

7. Dec 16, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    georgeandkanoa

georgeandkanoa the point is simply this

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    calgary
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma trd
    bilstein5100's front tinted windows access cover pioneer stereo weathertechs grillcraft grill kc's behind cbi sliders
    i built something like that for my Echo that i slid in right over the back seats, works great for my 2 boxers

8. Dec 16, 2010 at 9:37 PM
    Aod

Aod Ex STi enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    B.
    NorCal/Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Great idea

9. Dec 16, 2010 at 10:14 PM
    cactuscorn

cactuscorn Another FNG

Member:
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    yep, ive got a big'n.

1 of the designs ive seen here showed a hinged area that collapsed at the tailgate edge to add roughly 10" to the platform. owner was 6' and change. ill look it up and get back to ya. for those of us with old ankle injuries. a little dangle of the foot is a blessing.

10. Jun 13, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    m50dude

m50dude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner black
    265/70r17 BFG AT Bil. 5100 set at 2.5" and 5100 in rear with Suspension TSB... Bed Extender & Bed mat Bed mat mod/tailgate mod,Snugtop Classic Tonneau door panel mod... "Devil Horns emblem 20HP gain"
    Will the seat fold back up with this installed? If so can you take a picture with platform folded up?

11. Jun 13, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    No, unfortunately if you want to fold the seats back up you'll have to remove the platform first. I just stow it in the garage or in the bed of the truck when not in use.

12. Jun 14, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    Faryota

Faryota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mic
    Ridgefield, WA.
    Vehicle:
    13, 4x4, long bed, Sport, Debad
    6" BDS lift in front, warn winch, AFE cold air intake & exhaust, Body Armor Rear bumper, Tuffy in bed storage box, DZ bed mat, ARB front bumper & Warn winch w/light kit, Husky floor mats, dash mat,
    I did something like that too...works very well for my dogs!!

Products Discussed in

To Top