1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Double cab V6 coils in a 4 cyl. Regular cab?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by wolftree, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Jan 5, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    wolftree

wolftree [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    Has anyone utilized 2nd Generation Takeoff front coils from a Double cab V6 in their 4 cylinder Regular Cab trucks? I am seeking increased load carrying, not so much as lift. This looks like an inexpensive way to achieve cheap load carry if I can find fresh coils taken off of a double cab.

2. Jan 5, 2012 at 9:52 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Not sure if you can do the swap without issues but I'll be selling my coils on Monday. Truck has 4,600 miles.

3. Jan 5, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Large,

Let me find out what others think about it, if there would be any issues beyond aftermarket lift coil issues and I may be interested. I seek load carrying, more than any lifting. Thanks.

4. Jan 5, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    burtonboards32

burtonboards32 Well-Known Member

Member:
  5. Jan 5, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    burtonboards32,

The timbrens may be an option for my rear load carrying. But, I wonder if the front coils should also be increased as well. Not to match a lift hieght, but for proper load carrying and overall handling. My Tacoma is my only vehicle and I use it as a truck for hauling construction material. So a 600-800# load is not unheard of for me. Though not on a daily basis.

I am hoping to get some input from others if larger/stronger front coils are necessary and what I might run into in the way of installation problems. My budget is very small, so using takeoff coils from a Double cab sounded like an economical solution if they are needed.

6. Jan 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    600-800 pounds really does not seem like much to me. That's only half the payload rating I think. I know my access v6 is rated at 1200, so the 4banger should be more, right? Less weight on the chassis to begin with, so higher payload?

I have an 09 2wd non-prerunner at work. It has a huge shell on it and probably 1000 pounds total in it at all times. 60K later and it still sits level when loaded. I'm sure it would handle a little better with some rear overload springs and maybe upgraded shocks. We did put load range C tires on it. I don't really see the front springs making any difference, all the added weight is going in the back, much of it over the rear axle or behind.

We also have an 04 Tacoma (first gen) that gets treated the same as the 09. That one has Hellwig clamp on style extra leafs in the back and the heaviest duty parts store shocks on it. It drives very tight and does not feel as loaded as the 09. Although I am sure that's partially due to it being a first gen. I have driven the 04 with the shell removed and unloaded. It has a "stinkbug" stance to it with the extra springs. So I can tell you the Hellwig style springs do make a significant difference.

7. Jan 5, 2012 at 9:10 PM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    joes06tacoma,

I am exploring several options for the rear springs. I am in a battle now with Toyota, not the dealer, over the Rear leaf TSB. I loaded 600# (measured) and had a hell of a squat. The springs were flat if not bent down. Even if I get the TSB, I will probably run a Hellwig type helper with the goal of getting local spring shop add-a-leaf or leaves installed if not a full leaf pack built in the future.

The severe squat with only half of the rated load is what I am in contetion with Toyota over. They rated it at 5100# GVW. I intend to make them deliver a truck with that load carrying capability. My dealer's service manager was going to give me the Leaf TSB, but when he called to get alignment specs for a regular cab I was turned down. Now I intend to push this.

Your experience with running loads without increasing the front coils is something I am glad to hear. I really did not want to get involved in doing anything to the front unless I needed to. I have had Toyota trucks(94 hi-lux and 98 1st generation Tacoma) for almost 20 years and this is the first time I have had to work on the suspension to make it into a TRUCK.

Large,

I guess I will pass on your front coils as it does not look like I need them.

8. Jan 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    On my 2006 I have loaded a measured 1000 pounds into the bed and it sits level with that load. That's full capacity for mine. (with me in the seat) Sounds like you definitely have a valid problem. Mine doesn't even have the TSB springs. Wonder if maybe another set of original spec springs would fix yours. Defective batch of springs?

Good luck. Hope they wise up and take care of you.

9. Jan 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    joes06tacoma, If I had the money, I would just go to one of the local spring shops and have new leaf packs built. Then I know I would have exactly the springs I need and want with a million mile warranty. Yes, that is their warranty on springs they build. Maybe down the road I will yet.

Products Discussed in

To Top