1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Double Din (DVD & Nav) Units & Theft

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by IrishPilot, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Mar 11, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
    What do you guys do in regards to theft and your double din unit? Im really regretting having not gone with a dvd unit, and it seems the best ones do not come with a detachable face...and from what Ive read you really dont want a detachable face.

Theft isnt too prominent in my area, but I would still like some mental relief. I have never had an alarm, and really dont want one...but is that your only/best protection?

Do you fellas worry about your headunit? What do you do?

2. Mar 11, 2010 at 3:10 PM
    SilverStreak05

SilverStreak05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    DR coilovers, DR rear reservoir shocks, Deaver custom 11 pack leaf springs
    Navi units are pretty common these days, so theft isn't as much of an issue as it used to be. That said, other than an alarm there's not really much you can do. If a thief really wants it then they'll get it regardless of any precautions you take.

3. Mar 11, 2010 at 3:16 PM
    itsmyturn

itsmyturn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab TRD sport
    afe Pro-Dry S dropin, Readylift leveling kit, TRD skid plate, Alpine CDA-9887, 6K D2S HID
    i think the jvc nav units have a detachable face. here in so cal theft is still an issue. best thing is a cover face from a stock stereo or theft proof it as much as possible. i have i single din alpine but added metal straps to the stereo that bolt to the dash. it aint coming out unless you bring tools.

4. Mar 11, 2010 at 3:17 PM
    dreamnz

dreamnz Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Suspension: Camburg Spindles, Bilstein 5100s, Deaver Leafs, BFGs Audio: IDQ 10 in "Marv" box - Hybrid Audio L6 mid bass/ L4 mids / L1 ProSE tweets - RF Power / Arc Amps...BitOne.1 to control it all.
    I love it!!! You should market this. Make them to fit most any double-din unit to make it look like a POS. You could call it a "Sh!tFace".

5. Mar 11, 2010 at 3:18 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    I was worried about theft when I installed my stereo stuff, but it's been almost 2 years and no issues. Not to mention I scheduled the items on my car insurance, so I won't be assed out if it does get stolen.

6. Mar 11, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    I just through my jacket over my dash like im protecting my dash from the sun. 2 years no problems. Even both of my friend parked next to me once at work and both of their trucks got broken into but the thief left my truck alone.

Products Discussed in

To Top