1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Douchehat at DUI checkpoint.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by derekabraham, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Just as a point of order- It's not a right to remain silent

You can be compelled to speak to the gub-ment in a variety of instances and refusing to do so can get you arrested. This is a border line kinda case- because an answer of "yes" will get you a wet reckless in a lot of places.

2. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    07SpeedwaySport

07SpeedwaySport Senior MoFo'ing Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR--now silver
    tint.
    I like check points, feel like it keeps me safe. Seems like an inappropriate time to "exercise your rights"

My vote: DoucheBag.

3. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    There is absolutely 100% nothing wrong with what he did. They're inquiring, he's refusing to answer. Obviously he was within the law not to answer or they would have detained him.

That interaction was initiated by law enforcement, and he complied to the extent required. I have friends who are cops and former cops and I would tell that right to their face and they would agree. The guy wasn't confrontational or argumentative - he just wasn't conversational. It's not like the cop started a conversation about how they're out there trying to do good and he'd appreciate it if the guy would just answer the question. He asked what he was supposed to ask and then went to the supervisor when he didn't get an answer.

Ask any good lawyer and they will tell you there is almost no situation where volunteering information to the police will do any good for you. It's all a legal game, and the police know that best of all.

4. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    Pingo

Pingo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Pole, AK
    Vehicle:
    2014 S/C TRD Offroad A/C
    There are reasons we have the rights we do and I think this guy from T4R.org says it best.

"When they were asking him the questions, they were closely observing the tracking of his eyes, general demeanor, his speech, and smelling for alcohol, marijuana, etc. to determine if he might be impaired.

They didn't notice anything suspicious in those areas, or he would have been ordered out of his car, to be further checked out.

It's my opinion that him (or anyone) being stopped randomly, and without just probable cause, (observed or reported driving erratically, etc.) is a violation of his Constitutional rights under the 4th Amendment.

I don't have a problem with him making the video. I DO have a problem with the police conducting their fishing expedition, which unconstitutionally detains citizens. The majority of which have nothing to hide.

It all reminds me of the Gestapo, in Nazi Germany..

One of this Countries Founding Fathers, Ben Franklin, is attributed with this quote:

Quote:
    In 1755 (Pennsylvania Assembly: Reply to the Governor, Tue, Nov 11, 1755), Franklin wrote: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

user_offline_425f6c07dff57a38ffaa86ccdd2b17f94a187e81.gif

Saying "No" could very well be self incriminating if he slurred, stuttered, smelled, or any number of reasons a police officer could decide he witnessed. The cops are the ones acting like jerks for violating the constitution and creating this delay, not the one dude to stand up for his rights. They should stick to their job and what they are allowed to do legally just like everyone else has to.

5. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now

so if you pulled up to a checkpoint, and were completely bombed, but didnt answer the law enforcement, you could continue on your way? :confused:

6. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    How did you possibly get that from what I wrote?

7. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    In that case based on your behavior, physical presentation, and (likely) smell of alcohol, they have probable cause for detention right there. Well, and you rear ended a patrol car on the way into the checkpoint.

What you say isn't the whole ball game.

Polymerhead is right though even in that situation - talking to the police CANNOT help.

Here's a college lecture on the subject by a law school professor and former police officer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

8. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham [OP] Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.

But is it worth it? Who cares if it's (according to you guys) "violating your 4th amendment rights" if it's potentially keeping people off the road that shouldn't be there. Is it that hard to just say "no" and be on your way?

9. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now

"wasnt argumentive" If you sit there, completely still, and dont answer the police, even when trashed, they suspect nothing is wrong by the way you move(or dont move) then they consider everything ok. The only thing he did different is acknowledge them, but no answer. The only difference between that, and sober is if they can smell something..A friend of mine that was in the marines, was drinking, heavily, when he got back. It came to a point where he could drink to the point of complete intoxication, but still be 100% "normal". NO slurring, stumbling, anything erratic. The only thing that would set him off is the smell, and bloodshot eyes.

10. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods

^^^This.

11. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    I still don't get what you're trying to say.

12. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    derekabraham

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    In this case, a DUI checkpoint, it's not a big deal. Just my opinion. :)

You took it out of context from the rest of my sentence. ;)

13. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    But he did talk to them to gather names and personnel numbers- Which could have given his drunken state away just as much as saying "No"...So that argument goes out the window. If they developed PC from smell, nystagmus, etc...they could still arrest him no matter what he said or didn't say. So instead- He acts like a jerk, without even saying that he is asserting his 5th Amendment rights. That's a waste of time and making an easy sitution more diffcult for everyone just to post a video on the Internet about what a badass he is about his rights.

Nope- If you ignore them and blow thru the stop- They'll follow you...with lights on. I've even heard stories of folks turning around to avoid going thru a roadblock getting followed and tested. If you stop and don't talk but look like a drunk asshole-They'll give you the FSTs and then have you blow.

14. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    Doc35

Doc35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC MGM TRD Sport Prerunner
    You really believe that? The Miranda Rights clearly state you have the right to remain silent.

15. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Sobriety checkpoints, despite what some of you may think (and it's fine to have an opinion) are NOT a violation of your constitutional rights

It was decided by the US Supreme Court in 1990 that when certain guidelines are met, that they are not

16. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    He should have gotten out of his car, and done this on the hood:

17. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    derekabraham

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner

He's a cop. I trust him. :D

18. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    it's actually Miranda Warning, and it stems from case law (Miranda v. Arizona) to ensure that all people in custody know both their 5th and 6th amendment rights

19. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    at what point do you feel rights are being taken away? I'd rather see the cops more able to keep the public safe....and by doing these check points, thats what they are doing. Driving is not a "Right", but rather a privilege.

20. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:21 PM
    derekabraham

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner

Like I said, you guys took what I said out of context. ;)

Plus:

I'm sure Jeff will gladly provide proof of this statement if asked.

Products Discussed in

To Top