1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Douchehat at DUI checkpoint.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by derekabraham, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    lawsuit shopping is ok but keeping the public safe is not :laugh:

2. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I put myself on ignore.....

3. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    If you are reading it in Danny McBride's voice then I couldn't either :D

4. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Within his rights? Without a doubt.

Being a douchebag? Also without a doubt.

I have to say, the officers in the video where extremely professional and courteous. Had they have been rude in anyway I would have supported the way he was acting, but these officers where completely polite and courteous, even while dealing with someone whose giving them shit just because they can.

5. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

So it's group think when "we" do it...Does that make your side anti-group think?? Un-group think?? The other group think??

x2

6. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    keep assuming jr.

7. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    I'm a bit torn. I'm never one to give the police the benefit of the doubt, simply because I've personally been on the receiving end of some questionable police behavior when I wasn't actually doing anything wrong. I had 5 cops bullying me, shining flashlights in my eyes and generally being dicks, threatening to take me to jail and I later learned they couldn't legally have done that. Police call it "command presence," but if I acted that way people would just think I was an a$$hole. On another night I had my car searched without cause. It was legal because I consented, basically because I was new to this whole concept and I didn't really realize I had an actual choice. That's on me for not knowing my rights though. I didn't have a problem with cops before that but their behavior made a permanent enemy out of me, I realized how quickly the police are happy to ignore what they can or can't legally do and they are allowed to lie to you (but you can't lie to them). I'm pretty big on knowing my rights and politely refusing once they have enough information that they *should* see I'm not doing anything wrong. It's his right to refuse to answer and I don't have a problem with that. www.flexyourrights.org

But at the same time I think he's an asshat. The police are legitimately doing their jobs here, and I also think since the police are asking a legal, polite question they should get a polite reply. Also I think this is the easiest, fastest way to deal with a checkpoint. If they wanted to search his car an he started doing this I'd be 100% with him. Instead he rolled up to that checkpoint thinking he was going to run things. He was kind of looking for a confrontation, asking for badge numbers and showing them the camera, and the police didn't take the bait. The cops were professional, and also they accomplished their jobs. They wanted to know if he had been drinking, they couldn't smell anything and he was clearly not drunk because he could articulate clearly. Problem solved.

I might not like police but they really do have to deal with some idiots.

8. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham [OP] Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.

Dude I didn't say anything, I literally only said that in the case of DUI checkpoints, I don't feel like any rights are being violated. In fact, a member of this website , who also happens to be a police officer, provided proof that DUI checkpoints don't violate any rights.

9. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    sorry...turn your sarcasm filter off ;)

10. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO

BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO DUDE MAN BRO

Member:
    First Name:
    Hot Carl!!!
    Roy UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD-Off Road TACO Extra value package
    Icon Ext Travel w/ Resi Front and rear, Dakar leaf springs, total chaos UCA's, color matched rear bumper, color matched satoshi grille with black chrome TRD emblem, konig countersteer offroads (black) w/ 285/75 Duratracs, sockmonkey Trailiens 3rd tail light cover, Tacomaworld.com sticker (made by me), debadged all around, Relentless Front Bumper, Sliders, Rear bumper, and bed bars with Yakima rack w/ full size spare, shovel, hi-lift
    Yeah exercise your rights and all that stuff yes, but doesn't anyone realize how affective these check points are? They do them for public safety to keep you and your loved ones safe on the roads from drunk drivers. Is answering a simple question worth the bullshit when all theyre doing is trying to help you?

11. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:43 PM
    BradleyScottETC

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    It's groupthink when you're regurgitating without compromise. We both do it when people talk about imports vs. domestic cars. It's a situational type-o-thing :D

IDEALLY, we'd all agree, but some of us don't even care to attempt.

12. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    Pingo

Pingo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Pole, AK
    Vehicle:
    2014 S/C TRD Offroad A/C

From wiki

I absolutely am. Just because in 1990 our supreme court said, Oh this unreasonable search is actually reasonable because it doesn't create a very large delay on the average driver doesn't necessarily mean it's right.

Could this guy have made it easier on everyone? Of course. Could he be a huge tool? It's possible. But that doesn't make it ok what they are doing.

13. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    derekabraham

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    My thoughts exactly.

14. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    4wd Boss

4wd Boss Shake and Bake

Member:
    First Name:
    Jefferson
    Big D
    Vehicle:
    16 Quiksand TRD Offroad
    Fog Light Mod, Pro Grille, raptor lights, 1.25 spacers, RC coilovers
    i call bullshit. every cop i have ever gotten smart with or questioned has put me in handcuffs and/or taken me to jail. they dont play. this is either a fake video or the cops are straight out of Reno911 and dont know how to handle this a-hole.

15. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    BradleyScottETC

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    Hell yeah brother.

16. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    derekabraham

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    So you'd rather (possibly) be killed, or have a loved one killed, by a drunk driver that could've (possibly) been caught at a DUI checkpoint? Obviously the chances of that are pretty low, but anything is possible.

17. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    BradleyScottETC

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    HAHA, well, I think it depends on the county...

18. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    So you know better than 9 justices and a small army of law clerks and researchers??

At this point...I leave. Have fun.

19. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I also feel like I should mention that every single time I've gone through a DUI checkpoint I have been treated rudely.

I went through one at 1AM one night while coming home from work at Taco Bell, I was in my uniform, which includes TB pants, shirt, nametag and hat, and the first thing the cop says is "what are you doing out this late", rather than great me or anything else. Meanwhile another officer circled my vehicle inspecting it with a flashlight and shining his light into my backseat, face, and truck bed.

I'm surprised they only asked if he had been drinking. I'm always forced to hand over the license, insurance and proof of registration while another officer sits in his car and runs plates (I assume from where he was parked).

20. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    feel free to file a lawsuit the next time you go through one and appeal it all the way up to the SC then

Until that happens, sobriety checkpoints ARE legal, and deemed NOT unreasonable

You can dissent all you want, but until you can appeal a case that high, or be appointed to the SC...your opinion really doesnt hold a whole lot of legal weight

Don't take this as me telling you that you shouldnt have that opinion, or that your wrong...just understand that you arguing with a bunch of strangers on the internet is not going to change anything

I'm of the mindset that they are not unreasonable at all but that's neither here nor there

Products Discussed in

To Top