1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

doug thortley exhaust manifold/pipe bomb gaskets=fail

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by outlaw7, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    outlaw7

outlaw7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    PacNorWest
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd sport
    after running my pipe bomb for around 2000 miles i'm deciding to go with the new long tubes and the oem y pipe so i found the pipe bomb a new home and got it off the truck today. the gaskets that came with the pipe bomb with a solid stone looking piece if anyone has a pic feel free to include a pic of one. after the first few weeks of having installed the pipe bomb i threw a p0157 and p0151 if i remember correct and after some research found out that an exhaust leak can cause these. i couldn't find any visible evidence of one so i just cleared the code when it popped up i think a total of 5 times over the time since the first code. well when i got the pipebomb off today these fell off when i removed from the exh manifold.you cant really see in the pics but there's 3 individual metal rings that are all separated and all of the gasket material has burnt away. if your gonna install one i would get with gadget to see if there's a suitable replacement or even possibly oem ones i think any would be better than these. took the truck for a drive after the swap about an hour and no code yet so im guessing these were prob the culprit. just wanted to give anyone looking to use one of these a heads up i loved the pipebomb just beware of the gaskets...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Oct 11, 2010 at 7:05 AM
    Bobo_1

Bobo_1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobo
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport L-Bed
    Good info. I have the DT LT that use an aftermarket gasket from tube to y-pipe and they look like the ones in your pic but with material in the middle. I got those from URD. I am considering the pipe bomb y-pipe to get rid of some of the resonance I get on the start of heavy acceleration. Resonance goes away around 4K. Again, only when heavy on the foot. I thought this y-pipe would help with that.

To Top