1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Downshifting from neutral to a lower gear

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bluejays, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Apr 11, 2009 at 6:09 PM
    bluejays

bluejays [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I wanted to ask a question about downshifting. my question is about if i am in 4th gear and I need to switch it to 2nd gear for a right turn straight ahead. if i was in 4th and put it in neutral, wait for the speed to drop down to make the turn, what should I do before I change it to second gear? in neutral, do I need to blip the gas or can I just change it straight into second gear without doing anything at the appropriate speed?

2. Apr 11, 2009 at 6:14 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    just push the clutch and brake to slow up for the turn, leaving your foot on the clutch take the turn at a safe speed and then shift into 2nd, let out on the clutch when needed to start gaining speed again

3. Apr 11, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Don't take this the wrong way man- But do you not know ANYONE who knows how to drive a manual?? And why would you get a manual without any prior practice??

This stuff is way easier to teach in person/in a car. Best of luck trying to figure it out thru the internet- but some time on the stick with someone there to help you will be WAY more beneficial IMHO.

4. Apr 11, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    ryanf

ryanf Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 AC 4X4 6cly/6spd TRD-OR
    Rain Visors,
    I've read like 5 posts today, on the proper way to drive a manual. Like others I have to ask...why buy a manual if you really arent sure how to drive it and 2...is driving a stick really getting that out dated. Every car I've ever owned minus 1 or 2 has been manual....I think Im getting older.

5. Apr 11, 2009 at 8:42 PM
    bluejays

bluejays [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    why buy a manual when i don't know how to drive it? why play basketball when you don't know how to play? why play piano when you don't know how? there's a first time for everything. anyways, if i hold the clutch in thru the turn while braking, will this wear out the clutch? should i downshift before the turn? i don't want to mess up the clutch. thanks for the help.

6. Apr 12, 2009 at 6:46 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Because it costs 10 bucks to buy a basket ball and it's not vital to getting around..Plus you spend a lot of time practicing...You will probably take piano lessons before you try to play at Carnegie Hall or buy your own piano.

If you depress the clutch thru a turn you have less control of the vehicle as you can not accelerate or manage speed without the brakes and turning and braking can be dangerous. If you need to go thru the turn slower than you are currently going then yes downshift.

You clutch will wear no matter what...Go out...Drive the truck (with someone who knows how to drive a standard if you can) and worry about the clutch later.

7. Apr 12, 2009 at 8:08 AM
    Drew793

Drew793 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road V6 Auto
    Weather Tech window shades, Roll-N-Lock cover with cargo manager, Led interior bed lights, EZ down tailgate strut, SpiderTrax1.25" wheel spacers, tinted windows, second filter removed, Grillcraft Mesh upper and lower grill, Castrol Syntec.

If you have your foot on the clutch pedal and it is fully pushed, the clutch is disengaged. This means the engine is not connected to the transmission. To answer your question of "will this wear out the clutch" no it will not.

If you don't have the clutch pedal pushed down far enough, the clutch is still partially engaged. This is called "Riding the clutch" or "Slipping the clutch". This WILL wear out the clutch. Since it will not be fully engaged or disengaged it will slip heat up and wear out the clutch disk and overheat and possibly warp the flywheel.

You want to slow down before making the turn, enough so that you can shift into second, push in the clutch and shift into second, let out the clutch and then make the turn. This all happens kinda fast so I hope that I'm not missing something here. You don't really wanna just push down on the clutch and coast into the turn because this would be unsafe. If all of a sudden you needed to move out of the way or avoid something you wouldn't be ready to drive forward. Same principles as driving a motorcycle.

I hope that this helps you out a little and don't worry you'll get the hang of it eventually. It would be best to ask someone to show you in person but asking the questions here is a good step also. I don;t feel that you should have been chastized about wanting to learn and getting a manual transmission vehicle. Anothere option would be to get a driving lesson or two from a driving school on "their" manual vehicle. lol

Best of luck to you.
    Drew

8. Apr 12, 2009 at 8:27 AM
    ryanf

ryanf Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 AC 4X4 6cly/6spd TRD-OR
    Rain Visors,
    because, if you mess up playing basket ball you might not run a 5000lbs truck into something...

Take their advice. go find someone who knows how to drive and just go figure it out. You can read about it for hours. just go drive.

9. Apr 12, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    audi2000

audi2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rockwood Maine, Englewood Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRDoffroad 4x4 6spd
    don't use your clutch, use your brakes. less expensive to repair

10. Apr 12, 2009 at 8:44 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    Yeah, just go drive...hopefully you will learn quickly.
    It would be embarrassing to have a truck that runs and hides every time it sees you coming with the keys :D

My Chesapeake did that once when almost every retrieve meant breaking ice...shot a lot of ducks that day :p

11. Apr 13, 2009 at 2:13 PM
    kris77

kris77 Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    what kinda turn would you need to shift from 4th to 2nd anyways...these trucks are geared pretty low...

Unless your turning a kiss your ass turn uphill I dont see the need to shift all the way to 2nd...

Once you drive it for a while, you'll learn the noises of the engine...when its bogging down and when its reeving up...you'll know when to change gears...

12. Apr 13, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    papabear050

papabear050 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 dc 4x4 TRD OR Auto
    If you in 4th your probably doing 40 mph or so, slow down, shift it to 2nd gear around 25mph before the turn, let out the clutch. this is before you make the turn, now slow down and take the turn in gear, foot off the clutch. After you do this couple times, you will learn when you can shift. I shift usually as I take the turn... all depends, 2nd or 3rd gear... never when your in the turn, no control.

Take your time and you will get it. It will become second nature

Don't worry about rev mattching, bliping the gas... none of that. Get the basics down, most important is to keep your head

Products Discussed in

To Top