1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Downsizing Recommendation

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Dktas_taco, Aug 12, 2017.

?

What size should I go with?

1. 245 70 17 (stock-ish size)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 245 75 17 (same height as current but more narrow)

50.0%
  3. 265 65 17 (stock height, current width

50.0%
  1. Aug 12, 2017 at 6:06 PM
    Dktas_taco

Dktas_taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Tacoma crew cab
    16x8 Ulta maverick Cooper adventurers 265-75-16 In channel window visors Painted headlight bezels Nfab steps 20% tint Soft tonneau cover
    I have a habit of my posts being long winded, but I bare with me as I try to explain my though process.

I picked up a set of Ultra Mavericks 16x8s on Ebay on sale for $375 and at the time I was just trying to find the cheapest thing that would replace the OEM steelies. Since the XP package comes with the same wheels in a 17, I took the gamble and they have been great. They aren't my favorite though, they were just a good deal.

I then added 265 75 16s for just a little more stance, as all my trucks have been lifted to some extend but I have never owned a 4 cyl truck. I have the 2.7 and I did not noticed a big decrease in acceleration power after having them installed (despite people saying it would be awful). What I did notice was my truck can't handle the interstate / freeway/ hwy (whatver you want to call it). with this size tire. It's not terrible so long as you don't mind it downshifting to what seems like 2nd gear every time you come to a >5 degree incline. I tried to band-aid the issue by install in the LCE header and TBH I didn't feel much of anything different. If I would have not installed it myself, then I doubt I would have been able to tell, despite people on this forum raving about it.

In addition to the power loss I lost some MPGs (to be expected, I drive a truck and I'm not worried about it but it's worth noting. It certainly gets better than my 5.3 silverdo on 35s did before I traded it.

MPGs on stock toyo 245-75-16
    • ~22/24.5 mixed/ hwy
    MPGs with 265 75 16 Cooper Adventurer A/ts not sure what rating but I know they are not E
    • ~19.25/ 17 mixed/ hwy
    So as you can see my free way really took the hit. I will be the first to admit that most of my lifted trucks (okay, all of them) have been mall crawlers, pavement princesses etc. I only take occasion trips to the woods for hunting and most roads are maintained well enough that I can get through the deep sand beds with my tire pressure lowered and some kind of posi or "auto LSD". I prefer the look of an AT or MT, just personal preference but I do not have a real need for a taller tire other than aesthetics. I will mention that I love the way the truck looks other than I am considering changing wheels now that my truck is paid off and I can afford to get what I want. I can't find a style I'm in love with in a 16 which moves me to the broader (IMO) 17" market.

[​IMG]
    I found these and they are 17x9 with a -12 (I want them to stick out and I do not mind a little stretch. Hell I'm from florida and guys all the time are stretching 285s on what seem like 14" wheels so putting a 245 on a 9" doesnt scare me a bit. I am not here to debate that but if you have pics of a 245 on a 9" wheel I would appreciate. I did find this thread of a 2nd gen and it looks really nice for a stock size tire.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...llo-and-introduce-myself.273082/#post-6737901

Now swapping wheels to a 17 means that I need tires again, which shouldn't be a problem since I can sell these for a decent price with < 10k miles on them with a 50k warranty. But knowing how the 265 75 16s affected my hwy performance and I drive the freeway to work everyday with no real need for a tall tire, I might as well look at downsizing.

I researched several sizes that I may be interested in and the price difference between all them are negligible. I'm pretty sure I want the Falken Wildpeak AT3. So I know that it will be mostly a personal decision for aesthetics vs mpg / power. But, I'm looking at

245 70 17 (stock size w/ negative offset wheels that will actually poke them out further than my current set up, should return MPGs and power.) ~30.5x9.5

265 65 17 (Stock size equivalent for the SR5s, and TRDs just in a 17" wheel, rolling friction is still increased over stock 245 but would yield a better fit on the 9" wide wheel and would maintain the wider stance) ~30.5x10.5

245 75 17 (same height as 265 75 16, but with a more narrow and with less rolling friction/ ground contact may increase MPG/ power. ~31.5x9.5

The weights between these sizes are pretty negligible as well.

Current set up.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance, sorry for the novel.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Aug 12, 2017 at 6:14 PM
    boostedka

boostedka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 6MT, 2004 4runner
    Is regearing an option for you?

3. Aug 12, 2017 at 7:12 PM
    Dktas_taco

Dktas_taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Tacoma crew cab
    16x8 Ulta maverick Cooper adventurers 265-75-16 In channel window visors Painted headlight bezels Nfab steps 20% tint Soft tonneau cover
    I suppose but seems counter intuitive for my needs, tbh. I mean regearing would help with the downshifting but my crusing RPM would likely be 2500 rpm+ at 70 mph and since I don't go wheeling.
    Acceleration is not terrible so low end isn't what I'm looking for.

If went to a taller gear it would hurt my acceleration in ways, I would be unwilling to deal with.

Products Discussed in

To Top