1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drilling a hole in my roof

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by IndianTaco, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Mar 7, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    IndianTaco

IndianTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    drilling ahole in my roof of my double cab to install a cb antenna. how does the headliner come out?

2. Mar 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    seriously? i would strongly advise against this

3. Mar 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    don't need to remove the head liner. i installed the antenna for my cb (wilson 1000 antenna) with the head liner in. Just remove the dome light and get access from there.

I centered the roof and marked where I wanted to drill and then went inside and made sure I wouldn't hit a support or wires, then used a small piece of 2x4 to keep the liner spread away from the roof, then drilled it and vacuumed out the shavings. Be sure to seal it up with silicone afterwards, and check on it every now and then. No leaks so far and its been about 8 months.

My truck is black. I would strongly advise against doing this on a very hot sunny day.

edit: pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Mar 7, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    IndianTaco

Member:
    why is that? thanks for your concern tho.

Thanks i just got my antenna in today and plan on installing it this weekend

5. Mar 8, 2012 at 4:06 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    I forgot to mention that you should prime and paint the hole after you cut. I have a little bottle of touch up paint for my truck and the same size bottle of primer. just wipe some primer on the bare metal, let it sit a little while, then wipe some paint on it. I'd suggest waiting at least half an hour for it to dry before installing the antenna.

and for routing the coax, you can either remove one of the front pillars or the pillar with the seat belt attached to it. I found it much easier to route the coax to the front of the head liner, then remove the pillar. pop the 2 bolt covers off the handle, then remove the bolts and pull on the pillar.

6. Mar 8, 2012 at 5:07 AM
    Chris135

Chris135 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Regina,Sk
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCLB SR5 TRD Sport
    Debadged Bilstein 5100 shocks in front OME 885 coils Icon 1.5"aal 16" fj cruiser Trd rims 285/75/16 duratrac tires 1.25" spidertrax wheelspacers (4) Tinted front windows Grillecraft upper grille Custom Trd boxside decals Allpro front bumper Piaa 510 fog lights Box mounted ammo can Rear diff breather BHLM Tinted front windows Rolltop tonneau cover Hand controls (for wheelchair users)
    You guys have balls...make sure your touch up paint is laquer. If not you'll have to use clear coat in top if it's waterborne. I can't stress enough how important it is to seal up your bare metal. Make sure everything is completely dry before you use your silicone. I hate silicone cause it doesn't react well with fresh paint, causes solvent popping. Not sure what it does on on cured paint. Either way good luck, props to both of you having massive testes for drilling into your trucks..

EDIT: also using a rust inhibitor on the bare metal first such as por15 would be a good idea before you prime it. My 2 cents

7. Mar 8, 2012 at 5:18 AM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    i installed one of these this past summer. :spy:

8. Mar 8, 2012 at 6:05 AM
    IndianTaco

Member:

Thanks for the input fellas

9. Mar 8, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    All off the antennas seal fully, usually twice around the hole. It should not rust any more than any other bare metal inside of your vehicle.

I've done a lot of commercial installs like this.

You install an NMO first for the commercial ones:

[​IMG]

The outer ring pinches the metal bottom part and seals with an O-Ring. Then when you put the antenna on, it seals with another rubber washer. No install I've done in almost a decade has leaked.

That being said drilling into your new trucks paint has some pucker factor for sure. For a CB antenna I'd prefer a fender mount Personally.

You can see my antenna on the drivers side here. I find roof mount CB or VHF are too high and fuck you up in parking garages and other low clearance areas.

I also have a cell booster installed next to my AM/FM antenna on the passenger side with the same fender mount bracket.

[​IMG]

10. Mar 8, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    im saying from a value standpoint. the value of your truck just got lower if u drill through the roof. plus a headliner sux to remove.....

11. Mar 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    BenMara

BenMara That Asian RedNeck

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Belton/Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4x4 SCed
    TRD Blower, Ham Radio, DBA T2 Rotors
    anyone know the size of the hole under the factory sat radio antenna?

12. Mar 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    :rofl:

the value of my truck is the last thing on my mind. I care much more about the reliability and adequacy of my vehicle. trucks are made for getting fucked up

13. Mar 8, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    IndianTaco

Member:
    is there a hole in the roof?
    ive never seen that option on kelly blue book

14. Mar 8, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    Couldn't you mount it in the bed of the truck on one of the bed rails? I know you want the highest point possible when mounting an antenna, but drilling a hole in your roof is permanent.

15. Mar 8, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    Boilermaker99

Boilermaker99 555

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Atlantic beach
    Vehicle:
    1999 SR5 TRD 4x4 3.4 V6
    ARE cap, Rhino lined bed, Custom Advantage-Max seat covers, Kenwood stereo and speakers, Debadged all emblems, blackedout grill, Off road lights, engine bay LEDs, Uniden Cb, Bedlined rockers and rims, Custom front and rear bumper, Hilo jack and mounts, Yakima load warrior, Magnaflow 14" muffler, Intake/prefilter, rebuilt frontend after accident so sort of frankensteined!!
    :D

16. Mar 8, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    Boilermaker99

Boilermaker99 555

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Atlantic beach
    Vehicle:
    1999 SR5 TRD 4x4 3.4 V6
    ARE cap, Rhino lined bed, Custom Advantage-Max seat covers, Kenwood stereo and speakers, Debadged all emblems, blackedout grill, Off road lights, engine bay LEDs, Uniden Cb, Bedlined rockers and rims, Custom front and rear bumper, Hilo jack and mounts, Yakima load warrior, Magnaflow 14" muffler, Intake/prefilter, rebuilt frontend after accident so sort of frankensteined!!
    I guess it all comes down to what you want. KBB value and a ride to work in your loafers OR a hole for a CB antenna so you dont have to get out of your truck in the mud to talk to your buddies when hes stuck a hole...to each their own

17. Mar 8, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    TRDyota09

TRDyota09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jabin
    Reedsville,WV
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD DCSB
    K&N cold air intake, magnaflow dual exhaust, extang trifold, grillcraft black mesh grill, spyder black projector headlights w/LED's and halo's, trd 6 speed shift knob, aftermarket TRD badges, interior piped out in red,265/75-16 Goodyear Duratrac tires,painted wheels w/red pin stripe
    I'm really sorry to have to say this, and I mean no disrespect, but facts will be facts....... You sir, are fucking retarded!

18. Mar 8, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    fau8823

fau8823 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Tint-20%, Kenwood 2 meter radio, firestik 2 meter antenna on a BAMF tailgate mount, Extang Solid Fold , Pioneer bhs-3500 HU, clazzio leather seats, Scangauge II
    I'm curious about this too^^^^^^

19. Mar 8, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Care to elaborate, and state who this is directed to?

20. Mar 8, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    This is really unnecessary. Just because you don't agree with what he wants to do with his truck, you don't need to be childish and resort to swearing and name calling.

A lot of people here run CB and shortwave set ups and a number of them have mounted the antenna on their roofs. I personally prefer on the bed rail, or on a rear light bar just because of clearance issues in parking structures, but if the OP wants to mount it on his roof, its not stupid. It's the highest point on a vehicle and you want that when mounting an antenna.

OP, like stated above, you don't need to remove the head liner. Come through the dome light and make your hole there, or there should be an access point where the factory Sirius satellite antenna hole is toward the rear of the cab outside on the roof.

Products Discussed in

To Top