1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drive line question.

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Bearskill, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Aug 1, 2009 at 11:47 PM
    Bearskill

Bearskill [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    I have an 06 prerunner. I have the Tacoma drive line clunk. The 06s do not have a greasable slip yoke. Can I put an 09 drive line in? Is it the same? Or should I just get a Tom Woods one piece that is greasable?:D

2. Aug 11, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Looks more and more like I have it too. Part of it was my front brakes which I resolved by adding brake grease but every so often I still get the clunk upon take-off and braking.

3. Aug 12, 2009 at 4:25 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Although the slip may not be on the driveshaft itself....

There has to be a SLIP somewhere back there. I haven't looked myself, but I'd be really amazed if it didn't have one. The slip could be at the output of the t-case or within the t-case ?? I'm just guessing based on other vehicles and where the slip was/is.

If the 06's don't have a slip yoke on the driveline, why would the 09's have one unless you're talking about a different cab configuration - which would make the driveshafter shorter or longer than your original one.

In terms of driveline clunk.... While your truck is sitting still (in gear/park). Crawl underneath and grab the rear driveshaft and try to rotate it clockwise or CCW. Does it move at all? If yes - then you have slop in the driveline. That's where your clunk is coming from - not the slip yoke.

Products Discussed in

To Top