1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drive ("propeller") shaft grease question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Beau02, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Nov 15, 2009 at 3:53 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (234k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    I've done some searching and haven't found a thread that specifically addresses this, so if there is one I apologize for starting another.

Anyway, I'm relatively new at DIY maintenance on my truck with the exception of oil changes. I see in the manuals that when greasing the drive shaft I'm supposed to use "Lithium base chassis grease NLGI No. 2" for the spider, but it calls out "Molybdenum Disulphide Lithium base chassis grease NLGI No. 2" for the slide yoke and double cardan. I've been checking at the local auto stores (AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly) and nobody knows what I'm talking about when I say I need the Molybdemum Disulphide grease.

Can I use the standard Lithium base all the way through, or do you guys use both types and where specified in your 1st gens.?

'02 4x4 w/ 3.4L Automatic

2. Nov 15, 2009 at 3:56 PM
    MotoXXX

MotoXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    02 Pre-Runner
    Welcome! Just use it. I use the same grease on all fittings.

3. Nov 15, 2009 at 4:33 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Nov 15, 2009 at 5:41 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i always use mobil1 grease....or lucas red n tacky #2.......and recently some green grease/synthetic i got from autozone. havent had a problem outta any of them.

5. Nov 15, 2009 at 5:55 PM
    closed31

closed31 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD DoubleCab Sport 4x4
    none
    In addition, I really haven't found any good procedure on how to separate the boot and slide apart the propeller shaft for lubrication. You almost completely destroy those stupid clamps holding on the rubber boot.

I found that grease at a local hardware store. The way I look at it, as long as you always use the same grease (every 5000 miles) every time you're good. My first time I completely separated the shaft got off all the old factory grease (didn't want to have a mixture problem) and put it back together.

You're pretty much doing it every 5000 miles so lubrication shouldn't be a problem. I think this is a totally ridiculous and unnecessary procedure which should have been rectified by Toyota back in the 90's. This SHOULD be a maintenance free area. At least put a couple of F-ing zerks so you don't need to take the damn thing apart.

Products Discussed in

To Top