1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driveline Clunk/Thunk on acceleration with updated driveshaft?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by DontPanic, May 25, 2017.

?

Driveline Clunk/Thunk on acceleration with updated rear driveshaft?

1. I have the updated (no zerk) driveshaft and I have "clunk/thunk" symptoms

68.0%
  2. Updated driveshaft and no symptoms

32.0%
  1. May 25, 2017 at 4:36 AM
    DontPanic

DontPanic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    There was a running change on the Tacoma to a zerkless rear drive shaft. I am told it was to address driveline clunk/thunk or "lash" (sometimes described as a hit from behind feeling) on acceleration. The symptom can be intermittent and is often worse after brisker stops or harder acceleration. This is ditinct from the fuel sloshing phenomenon. Many who have driveline lash mistakenly attribute it to fuel slosh. We have the updated shaft on our DCSB 4x4 but lash is just as bad if not worse than our second gen was. Wondering what the experience of others is?

2. May 25, 2017 at 7:45 AM
    bshammer0

bshammer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Prinsu, TruckCovers USA, Coverking, OVTuned
    I greased the only 2 zerks I have (in the front) and it helped some. Still occasionally get a clunk, but it's not as noticeable as it was before I greased the bone-dry front. There was nothing aside from assembly grease in there and it took 7-9 good pumps for it to purge.

Andrew.arw and shakerhood like this.
  3. Nov 22, 2017 at 3:38 AM
    My650sux

My650sux Member

Member:
    The clunk is probably from your “slip yoke” mine was doing it too. I removed the driveshaft to replace the carrier bearing and noticed the I really needed to rebuild the whole thing. Bought 3 u-joints, center bearing and a zerk fitting to install into my slip yoke. I couldn’t be happier. It’s a time consuming process but really an easy job. If you want more information hit me up. Where my truck is lifted I also milled some spacers for my center bearing getting rid of any vibration. I used 1” Diameter aluminum round stock drilled a 3/8” hole through the middle and milled them down to a length of .75”. This made my driveshaft almost straight. I also used much longer bolts due to the spacer. It Works great!
    Tools used:
    •14mm wrench
    •14mm shallow socke
    •Wobble head
    •3” extension
    •Impact
    •Air chisel (6$ harbor freight)
    •Needle nose pliars
    •Pick or small screwdriver
    •Lightweight string to use as a straight edge between center diff and rear diff.

If you’re going to install a zerk you will need a tap, the fitting and the right size drill bit. I highly recommend this, I didn’t even take the slip yoke apart just installed a zerk and pumped it full after removing any metal shavings with a shop vac. I no longer have the clunk when taking off from a redlight after braking hard. I can also take pics if needed.

4. Nov 22, 2017 at 5:24 AM
    tacoflavoredkisses1

tacoflavoredkisses1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDOR DCSB (SOLD)
    Toyota Tacoma: where you have to rebuild your drive shaft, right out of the factory, to keep it from doing something it shouldn't.

5. Nov 22, 2017 at 12:12 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    You Sir are my hero.... this IS the problem a lot of people are having and your fix is 100% what is needed..... So far I do not have the clunk, but have the 5 zerks that I grease frequently..... If I develop the clunk, it's another zerk for my truck....

Well done, would love to see the pics as always....!! Well done man... 2 thumbs up...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

6. Nov 22, 2017 at 3:18 PM
    RBaptist

RBaptist Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport - Magnetic Grey
    @My650sux
    If you have a write up with pics on that procedure I think you’d help a bunch of folks out! (Self included). It’s one of those things that I would personally like to do, but am nervous to tackle as I’m not sure where to place the zerks, and i don’t want to over grease...or use the wrong grease i hear that is problematic on the drive shaft as well), etc.

9TRDTCO likes this.
  7. Nov 22, 2017 at 4:59 PM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    I think it's more a symptom of the pinion wrapping up(accel.) or down(decel.) due to weak springs.

Watch the rear leaf at 4:23; clunk at 4:25.

8. Nov 22, 2017 at 5:03 PM
    Dc2tacoma

Dc2tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Normal.

9. Jan 3, 2018 at 10:59 AM
    Bolsillos5624

Bolsillos5624 Needs more money for mods

Member:
    First Name:
    Shannon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Off Road Access Cab
    Bak Revolver X2 Tonneau. Cover Custom TRD Change Holder
    I noticed a little while ago that I sometimes get a clunk in the driveline when slowing down or stopping quickly. Should I install different universal joints with zerks? Or is there an easier remedy...?

10. Jan 6, 2018 at 9:51 AM
    Jerrfylube

Jerrfylube Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2004 X-Cab TRD 4x4 2017 DCSB TRD 4x4

The clunk is coming from the slip yolk, not the u-joints.

Either way, I'd recommend installing a zerk on your slip yolk and Spicer u-joints with zerk fittings. As soon and my u-joints are toast (probably won't be long since there's no way to grease the damn things and I actually use mine off-road a LOT) I'll be putting greasable Spicers on mine.

11. Jan 6, 2018 at 9:55 AM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...e-2016-and-2017-tacomas.521461/#post-16544912

12. Jan 6, 2018 at 1:36 PM
    Bolsillos5624

Bolsillos5624 Needs more money for mods

Member:
    First Name:
    Shannon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Off Road Access Cab
    Bak Revolver X2 Tonneau. Cover Custom TRD Change Holder
    I can replace u joints easily enough, but how does one go about tapping a hole in a slip yoke for a zerk fitting. I assume I would just drill it out, tap it and thread in the zerk, but where on the slip yoke should it be located... I'm very handy, but I don't know everything :D Thanks guys

13. Jan 6, 2018 at 2:26 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    Likely something I'd go to the driveshaft shop to get done, as they will have to balance the D/S after the mod....

14. Jul 24, 2018 at 12:12 PM
    Davis98

Davis98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    can anyone help me figure out if this is the problem I had? One day I was driving around 30-40 mph and had to quickly stomp it to avoid an accident and it felt as if my acceleration lagged a little then made a loud clunk noise and began accelerating again? I know The throttle lag is normal but I have Never heard the clink before. Is that normal?

15. Aug 18, 2018 at 3:06 PM
    Babish_SD

Babish_SD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Sport
    I offroad frequently and I am now having this same issue. When I stop and then accelerate within the first few seconds of the acceleration I hear the clunk clunk sound and then it goes away at all speeds and only happens when I stop and go. When I power wash the fuck out of the truck it goes away for a bit and comes back. Leading me to believe it is exactly what is talked about here.

I am doing some heavy research about this, but tbh I am still mechanically challenged. Is this something I can do? Any one have a good right up for this?

-Replacing the U joints/lubing them up
    -Lubing up the slip yoke
    -Installing the zerk

Its weird the sound appears to be close to the front driver side area. The majority of steps I found online were about taking actions in the rear of the truck. I feel as though I can feel it right under my feet. Is this something I can trust the yota mechanics to do right? I am out of my normal area (San Diego) for a few months and do not have my normal shop to refer to.

Most important, is this something to be really concerned with? I am driving across the country, NJ --> San Diego in a few months. Do not want to cause a lasting issue.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  16. Aug 18, 2018 at 8:48 PM
    Babish_SD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    I believe this thread is about the clunk sound happening when we accelerate from a complete stop. Does it happen often for you or was that the only time?

17. Sep 4, 2018 at 4:23 PM
    Black05

Black05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harford Co. MD
    Vehicle:
    2005 ac 4×4
    Full trd pro suspension. Toytec progressive add-a-leaf pack (with overload in). Sema trd 4runner rims. 285 70 17 ridge grapplers. Satoshi grill.
    Having same issue seems to be front driver and under my feet. Did you find the problem?

18. Sep 11, 2018 at 6:24 AM
    Babish_SD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    Hey, I have not yet. Toyota refused to look at it for under 200 bucks an hour. I wanted them to just check the front u-joints but they refused to do it under warranty. So problem has not been solved. But the sound I hear/feel is in the same spot. I am having a shop check all of the bolts and everything in Icon suspensions on September 20th. I am hoping something is just loose. But I still believe it is something else. Have you had any luck?

19. Oct 8, 2018 at 8:25 AM
    Babish_SD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    Hey do you have upper control arms? I think I finally found my issue, I think the ball joints are shot and are adding some play in there. Still waiting on fixing them and seeing if it resolves the noise.

20. Jun 12, 2019 at 6:13 PM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Thread revival !! 2008Access cab 4x4 Just had carrier bearing replaced because it looked crusty :notsure: I have 115000k . Now I have the thunk thunk thunk noise at take off but no noise at higher speeds . Pissing me off because I had no noise before . Taking it back to the shop that did the work tomorrow to check everything out .​

Products Discussed in

To Top