1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

driveline geometry suspension for OME install ?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by kuyatribes, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Jan 12, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    kuyatribes

kuyatribes [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Mesa, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Snug Top, Weathertec floor mats and Side window deflectors, Michelin LTX AT2 stock size, leather seat covers, dash mat, TRD CAI, Banks Monster catback, yellow top battery,Ome leaf packs and struts and shocks with LR UCA, (Dwreck bolt on sliders, group buy on hood struts, benwa rear window slider kit, Leer 180 shell, Wheelers Bump stops, Ome extra leaf these items paid for but yet to be installed)
    After reading this well written article on driveline geometry and the section that is cut & pasted below:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/out.php?url=http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Driveline-101.shtml

Question

2005+ Tacoma DCLB 4x4 with OME spring leaf pack and Shocks installed, does this rotate the axel pinion up or down (Don't have my OME installed yet or would have my answer as it has not arrived)? Have not taken the driveline dim. check yet of pinion too carrier drive top and bottom. As I understand the article for spring over axel (SOA) if the pinion is rotated down then the shim would be fat end forward to correct the geometry and of course opposite if pinion is up.

Bmoose build thread for regular cab installed his shim fat end forward.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/su...talls-full-ome-kit-rear-brake-lines-pics.html

Others have reported shim installed thin end forward for geometry correction.

Do I have this wrong? All answers welcome for my conundrum.

Apologies for the charts and verbiage not setup as shown in article.

If you have a leaf-spring suspension, then there are more options available. Among the options are shims, rotated spring perches, longer or shorter spring shackles, or driveline changes. Below is a table of common lifts and driveline affects:

Type of Lift /
    Driveshaft &
    Location Single
    Cardan
    Rear Single
    Cardan
    Frnt/Fwd(1) Single
    Cardan
    Frnt/Rev(2) Double
    Cardan
    Rear Double
    Cardan
    Frnt/Fwd(1) Double
    Cardan
    Frnt/Rev(2)
    Spring None None None Tilt UP Tilt UP Tilt UP
    Block None None None Tilt UP Tilt UP Tilt UP
    Shackle Tilt DOWN Tilt DOWN Tilt UP None(3) None(3) Tilt UP
    Lift Affects on Driveline; Direction to tilt the pinion to correct angles
    Notes:

Front axle with shackles forward
    Front axle with shackles reversed
    Affect varies with length of spring, shackle and driveshaft length
    Installing a shim between the axle and spring is the easiest way to correct the driveshaft angle (here's a convenient on-line source for custom-built axle shims). But which way does the shim go in to fix the problem? It depends on the spring and axle configuration, namely Spring-Over-Axle (SOA) or Spring-Under-Axle (SUA). The following table summarizes the direction of pinion tilt vs. axle configuration. and which way the "fat end" of the shim faces:

Tilt/Config Front/SUA Front/SOA Rear/SUA Rear/SOA
    UP Backward Forward Forward Backward
    DOWN Forward Backward Backward Forward
    Pinion Tilt vs. Spring Configuration
    Its best to visualize the spring as fixed flat surface under the vehicle. Then the shim will sit between the spring (top or bottom) and the axle, which then must rotate up or down to align the spring perch of the axle with the angle of the shim.

2. Jan 12, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    It tilts up , the shim tilts it back down .

Thin edge forward

3. Jan 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Alas, the table you attempted to include didn't survive the formatter.

Try using a mono spaced font such as Courier, and the #code BBS tags.

4. Jan 12, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    kuyatribes

kuyatribes [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Mesa, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Snug Top, Weathertec floor mats and Side window deflectors, Michelin LTX AT2 stock size, leather seat covers, dash mat, TRD CAI, Banks Monster catback, yellow top battery,Ome leaf packs and struts and shocks with LR UCA, (Dwreck bolt on sliders, group buy on hood struts, benwa rear window slider kit, Leer 180 shell, Wheelers Bump stops, Ome extra leaf these items paid for but yet to be installed)
    Thank you OZT.:D

bjmoose thank you,:D I got the link to the article from your build thread. Also your build has given me the confidence to complete my own build. Again much thanks.

On the format of the chart , your suggestion is fascinating but mysterious.
    How would I do that?:eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top