1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driver's side clunk

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by ttran, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Mar 15, 2011 at 8:29 PM
    ttran

ttran [OP] Expert Mallcrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner Sport
    TRD Sport Prerunner
    My driver's side cv axle blew after I installed my lift and I replaced that one with a direct replacement one from Advance. All was good for about a month (no clunking or weird noises) then it started making random popping/clunking noises like it did when my cv axle was blown. I checked the cv axle and it's not leaking or anything. It clunks a heck of alot when turning and clunks occasionally while driving on roads. Any ideas?

2. Mar 15, 2011 at 9:37 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    the Pacific Northwest, Exploring
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    King ET Coilovers Camburg Uniball UCAs Alcan 8-Leaf Rear Spring Packs Fox 2.0 Resi Rear Shocks FrankenFab Rear Shock Relocate Trail Gear U-bolt Flip Toytec 1" Extended Shackle 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker OBA ARB Twin Comp 15x8 D Window Steelies 33" BFG KM2s Limited Edition Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch PIAA 510 SMR Fog Lights Lightforce 170s Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Whynter 65 qt. Fridge/Freezer CVT Mt Bachelor RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack GM 140 amp alternator Optima Yellow Top battery Magnaflow 18" Muffler Braided Steel Brake Lines K&N Drop-in air filter ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Uniden 520xl CB radio 3’ Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1” Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    How much lift you running there? Got any pics of your cv axles and their boots? You running a diff drop?

3. Mar 16, 2011 at 2:02 PM
    ttran

ttran [OP] Expert Mallcrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner Sport
    TRD Sport Prerunner
    A lil over 3 inches with bilstein 5100's and eibachs up front. Yes I do have a diff drop. I checked the ball joints on my uca's and my passenger one is ripped but the drivers side one looks fine and thats the one that's clunking... UCA's are added to my list now. But I don't know, for some reason I'm pretty set on it having something to do with the cv axle. My auto tech teacher installed it for me and I'm wondering if he didn't shove it back in all the way and it came loose...

To Top