1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driver's side mirror rattles

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jerryspecs, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Aug 23, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    jerryspecs

jerryspecs [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi guys,
    I've been lurking here for a few months. I have a 2005 double cab. About a year ago, some jerk clipped my driver's side mirror. It's still attached pretty well, but I've noticed that it's loose and it squeaks a lot whenever I hit a bump.

I was thinking about getting in there to see if there's a bolt or screw I could tighten to fix the problem, and I'm hoping I don't have to replace the whole mirror. Do I need to remove the entire door panel to be able to tighten things, or can I just remove the sail panel? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Aug 23, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    fbconvert

fbconvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    Brought this wreck back from the dead, killed it, then revived it, still going strong.
    My truck was hit on the driver side and I have this same problem. It doesn't squeak but I notice it vibrates a little when I am on the freeway. Once of these days when I have had enough I will take it apart and see whats up. I believe all you need to do is remove the plastic cover on the inside of the door behind the mirror. Then you should see the mounting bolts. after that I am not sure. See link below for OEM removal procedures.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ileaf/06toyrm/06toypdf/06rmsrc/rm2006ta/05900310.pdf

If you do take yours apart snap some pictures and let me know what you find.

3. Aug 23, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    jerryspecs

Member:
    Thanks for the help. I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow and I'll let you know.

4. Aug 24, 2011 at 7:58 AM
    jerryspecs

Member:
    Well, that was easy. I just had to pop off the sail panel which I didn't even need to pry. With that panel removed, I could see that the top nut was loose, so I tightened it and goodbye squeak. I could see the bottom nut, but you might have to remove the whole door panel to get to it.

I saw on another forum that mentions when the sail panel comes off, the white clips stay in the door. Be sure to take these three clips out and put them back on the panel before re-installing it.

I also found some good color instructions on how to take off the door panel. http://www.muthco.com/support/manuals/
    Just select the model and year. This whole thing was super easy and took about 5 minutes. I wish I had done it earlier!

5. Aug 24, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    fbconvert

fbconvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    Brought this wreck back from the dead, killed it, then revived it, still going strong.
    I already tried what you mentioned but none of my bolts were loose. I think it is something more internal. Glad your problem is fixed though.

To Top