1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driveshaft Center Beaing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KColoTaco, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Jan 17, 2011 at 9:08 AM
    KColoTaco

KColoTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    N. Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC
    3 inch OME complete lift, Light racing UCA's, Bed comp. locks.
    Hey TW, I have a 08 tacoma with a pretty loose center bearing in the rear driveshaft. It has considerable up and down slop in it. I am having difficulty resolving my driveline vibrations after installing the a 3" lift and think this may be my culprit.

I have shimed the rear axle 3 degrees as well as droping the carrier beaing 3/8". The driveline is straight as well.

Open to any ideas but would really like to know if anyone hased used a center beaing from a 1st gen since you can get them for >$100.

Thanks

2. Jan 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    ya, most people have some slop in the carrier bearing. the actual culprit is the vibration of the cross member that the bearing is attached to. there are some videos of it on this site if you search. beefedtaco sells a carrier bearing mount that is reported to ellimiate the vibration.

i had some vibrations when i lifted too. i added the axle shims and 1/4" bearing drop as well. there is still a tiny bit of virbration, but not enough for me to really care about it at this point.

3. Jan 17, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    KColoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    N. Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC
    Thanks dude, my vibrations are still noticible enough that I'm concerned about long term effects on transmission/engine mounts.

I have almost 90K on the truck so I think my bearing may be looser than most.

Are you saying the crossmember is weak?

4. Jan 17, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    Rich Beauregard

Rich Beauregard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    New London, CT
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco 4x4 SR5 Access Cab White
    I though my center bearing was going bad because I had some vibration and about 80,000 miles on my 06, but they all have a lot of play in them. I checked mine against a new one at the dealer and found them to both move about 1" all around inside that metal bracket. I rotated my tires and the vibration went away. My tires did not look worn or anything, but that was my vibration. now have 84,000 miles and running good.

5. Jan 17, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    Gundy315

Gundy315 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SB
    OME 885, 5100s, 3-leaf AAL, Camburg ball-joint UCAs, Moto Metal 957 (17x9; black), 285/70-17 Kumho KL78, color-matched grille w/ grillcraft mesh upper & lower, All-Pro rear bumper, Leather Seats, WeatherTech mats, JVC DDIN H/U (w/ BT, & Sat), Pioneer 6.5" comps, 500w amp & 10" sub,
    I recently had a pretty bad driveline vibration and spent a lot of time and money replacing the center bearing. Felt good for 2 days then came right back. Come to find out all of the vibration was caused by a bad u-joint at the rear location, just before the rear diff.

The U-joint is $10 and takes 45 mins to replace, if you're even a little mechanically inclined.

The center bearing is over $200 from the dealer and is a huge pain in the ass to replace.

Try the u-joint first... I'd bet $ that will fix your vibes.

6. Jan 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
  7. Jan 17, 2011 at 12:18 PM
    KColoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    N. Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC
    Thanks for all the input guy's. I guess I wouldn't say mine has more than 1" of movement in any one direction, even thogh I've never seen it under load.

I can't remeber if the rear U-joint has a zerk. It seemed good last time I was under there, but U-joints can definitly be decieving. I'll pu that on my list to swap out as a posibility. Gundy315 did you have your pressed apart or do the old fasioned way?

As far as the cross member I guess I 'll have to remeasure my angles on the DS. It seems like if it was the crossmembers were the problem they would all vibrate, the lifted ones for sure. Since this isn't the case I assume I still have a slight problem.

8. Jan 17, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    Gundy315

Gundy315 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SB
    OME 885, 5100s, 3-leaf AAL, Camburg ball-joint UCAs, Moto Metal 957 (17x9; black), 285/70-17 Kumho KL78, color-matched grille w/ grillcraft mesh upper & lower, All-Pro rear bumper, Leather Seats, WeatherTech mats, JVC DDIN H/U (w/ BT, & Sat), Pioneer 6.5" comps, 500w amp & 10" sub,
    I just used the big C-Clamp tool (I rented from Autozone) with an impact. Basically, the old-fashioned way.

Originally, I didn't think there was anything wrong with that U-Joint because there was no play in it when I tried to yank it around by hand. When I pulled it out, though, the bearings in one of the four end caps were trashed/non-existant. I felt like a numbskull for not starting with the u-joints.

Also, if you have a base or SR5 Prerunner, your U-joints do not have zerks.

Products Discussed in

To Top