1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drivetrain "thud"

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 2WLTERR, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Aug 2, 2010 at 12:20 AM
    2WLTERR

2WLTERR [OP] New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner
    Ranchos frt / rear
    I own an '04 Taco Prerunner TRD 3.4L SR5 Auto Trans with 52K miles, upgaded to Rancho shocks frt/rear otherwise everything is stock. What's the acceptable amount of vertical play in the carrier bearing? I can move mine about 1/2" vertically. I'm experiencing a "thud" of sorts after I've come to a complete stop (with pressure still on the brake pedal). Sometimes this doesn't occur until I lift off of the brake to start moving (before I even step on the gas), as if the drivetrain is unloading itself. It happens even with the rear diff locked and whether the truck is empty or fully loaded (approx. 800lbs). I've checked the motor/trans mounts/u-joints and rear-end backlash. The carrier bearing seems to be the only suspect component with all that movement but that should cause a vibration issue instead. This is the first auto-trans Toy I've owned, as well as the first with a carrier bearing, so I don't know if this is just a normal characteristic of the unit. Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer me on this subject.

2. Aug 2, 2010 at 12:24 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Welcome to the wonderful world of "axle wrap"

3. Aug 2, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
  4. Aug 2, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    If the thud is accompanied by the feeling like you're being rear ended then its probably axle wrap. 1st gen are notorious for weak leaf springs and once they wear out there's no turning back.
    I just replaced my entire suspension and I still have a thud from the rear end. Everyone here tells me its just a quirk of the trucks and to get used to it. I'm still convinced something is wrong just not sure what. The investigation continues...keep us all posted if you are able to solve your issues.

5. Aug 2, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Its likely not your carrier bearing. The likely cause are your rear springs are forming an "S" shape under braking. The thump is the release of that twisted shape. As mentioned, the term "axle wrap" is a simple description of the S shape.

Typically, the carrier bearing will have a little play in it. A half inch is more than mine has but at least a quarter inch in every direction seems normal. You might also try lubbing up the slip joint on your driver shaft. That joint needs to move freely in and out. It does get a workout with worn, axle wrap prone springs.

6. Aug 2, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    x2
    you nailed it buddy !!....:cool:

7. Aug 2, 2010 at 5:22 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    x2 on Digirat's post...

[​IMG]

8. Aug 2, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    da0023

da0023 The One, The Only

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner SR5
    none
    this subject sounds awful familiar....:facepalm:

9. Aug 4, 2010 at 9:45 PM
    2WLTERR

2WLTERR [OP] New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner
    Ranchos frt / rear

That's EXACTLY what it feels like! Thanks for putting my mind at ease. It's been buggin the S>/T outta me for the longest time but I never wanted to start throwing money at the problem without a direction to go in :)

10. Aug 4, 2010 at 9:58 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    Annoying isn't it? I'm still convinced there's something else wrong but I tend to be a bit paranoid about my truck so it might just be my imagination!

If its axle wrap you might want to look into either an AAL or new leaf springs (depending on the condition of your current leaf packs), couple of threads that might help - http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/83863-1st-gen-needs-suspension-upgrades-asap.html
    and
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gr...heelers-offroad-1st-gen-leaf-replacement.html
    or just search for 'axle wrap' there's lots of threads on here about it, pretty common problem.

and my after-replacement, near panic thread trying to find a source of the continuing 'quirky' thud http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/104847-damage-wear-axle-wrap.html

going to be changing out the oil in the differentials this weekend in the hopes of stopping the thud for good *fingers crossed*

11. Aug 4, 2010 at 10:16 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    When I picked up my truck with 30K on it it had the thump. I greased the hell out of my yoke & it completely went away but only for a couple of months or so. Regrease again & gone again. After I threw on the Deaver leaf pack I no longer had the thump for years.

Just last month it started again but not nearly as worse of often as it did with the stock leafs. Can't believe it's been that long since I greased the yoke (shame on me for neglecting the truck). Regreased again a few days ago again, completely gone, even did some test runs by coming to a complete stop braking real hard (that's the real test).

I would say changing your diff oil would have nothing to do with resolving the thumping issue but it's worth a try & new oil in the truck as always good anyway.

Maybe your yoke is just gunked up, have you tried taking it off & cleaning out all the old grease that's hidden in there then repacking?

12. Sep 19, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    tt07

tt07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    north carolina
    Vehicle:
    01 4wd
    none yet
    Man that just answered alot of questions for me!!! Thanks

13. Sep 21, 2010 at 2:43 PM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    I have a 99. Got it when it was one & half years old with 18,0000 miles. And its done it sins day one. I have done everything from taking it to the dealer to greasing the crap out of the yoke. I also did an AAL, and still dos it .:mad: So I feel that it is the tranny loads up and has to much presser down shift into 1st. gear. If you put it in nutral it dos not do it. So iam dont think is axle wrap. Sorry guys:confused:.

14. Sep 21, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    I am wondering if the manuals and automatics behave a little differently on this issue.

I have a manual, and when I installed my 5-leaf pack and greased my driveshaft yoke, this behavior and the thud (I think mainly caused by wrap under braking and then releasing at a stop) is largely, if not entirely, gone. But then MT Girl says she still has some, and she got the same 5-pack, but, she has an auto...of course, she has so many issues, I almost don't know where to start, but that is another thread, or several.

With the manual, the driver controls exactly when the clutch disengages when braking, but with an auto, the transmission does its own thing as you slow and stop and it unloads the drive train, and you can't do much about it.

Thoughts?

15. Sep 21, 2010 at 3:04 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I think alot of this "axle wrap" is due to how fast you come to a stop. I come up to stops slowly and have never felt the problem before or after the addition of aal's.

16. Sep 21, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    ahem...:mad:...I miss nothing here on TW. Be careful what you post...;)

I know I have issues, that's why I come here. To deal. To cope. To find solutions. Or to just bitch. Or laugh at other people. It helps.

I have noticed that if I let up off of the brake pedal ever so slightly just before coming to a complete stop I don't get the thud. If I keep an even pressure on the pedal, thud. If I'm backing out of my driveway and shifting from reverse to drive, thud. I can also tell you that the thud I have is unique to my auto-tranny taco, the last taco I drove was a manual and I can't remember ever having this happen. It was an identical truck with the exception of the transmission so it's a good comparison. The cause is still a mystery...

17. Sep 21, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    ...and you have a second gen. It is very common with first gens, I know.

18. Sep 21, 2010 at 4:45 PM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    I still think its in the tranny. ( auto tranny) reason being, that I think. Ever notice if your in neutral and you put it in drive how the tranny load up hard and kind of kicks ? I noticed no difference aftre installing the AAL. It is so annoying, it just pisses me off..:mad:

19. Sep 21, 2010 at 10:10 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    I have to agree with scocar and mtgirl. I've owned both (1st gens w/auto and w/5sp). Yes, some of it is from agressive stops but the axle wrap phenomenon (deformation of the rear leaf spring) is much more common on the autos and also easier to produce.

I suspect the reason to be an accumulation of wear and tear on the Tacomas notorious stock rear leafs.

To tacoma guy, no AAL is going to bring back the life to wasted rear springs. The only way you are going to get rid of your thud is to go to a set of quality replacement springs.

Products Discussed in

To Top