1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driving a stick shift (if you already know how to ride motorcycles)?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by 2015WhiteOR, May 25, 2024.

1. May 25, 2024 at 11:51 AM
    2015WhiteOR

2015WhiteOR [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gainesville TX
    I have 10+ years of motorcycling experience but have never driven a stick shift car, and I'm going to need to in the future.

So I'm already familiar with the "friction point" and stalling out and such, but what isn't clear to me is how much you can slip the clutch on a car without causing damage. If you ride motorcycles (especially Japanese ones) you'll know that MC clutches are wet in oil so you can slip them quite a bit with no concerns.

I assume it'll be easy to figure out once things are rolling but just want to make sure I don't break anything.

(I'm also aware that I shouldn't leave my foot on the clutch while driving, and to shift into neutral while stopped at a light.)

2. May 25, 2024 at 2:37 PM
    doublethebass

doublethebass aspiring well-known member

Member:
    First Name:
    Antoin
    Minneapolis MN
    Vehicle:
    ’17 6MT Pro
    I would bet it’s easier to go bike >> car than car >> bike as I did since you already know how to drive a car. Most people learning how to shift a bike are also trying to learn how to ride at the same time.

The answer to how much slip is not nearly as much as on a bike, but there’s still quite a bit of forgiveness there. A couple longer-than-should’ve-been shift in a car aren’t going to hurt it. We’ve all done it starting out and I would bet most of us with 6MT 3rd gens have done it at least once or twice uphill in reverse.

If you can shift a bike smoothly, you’ll pick up shifting a car pretty quick.

2015WhiteOR[OP] likes this.
  3. May 25, 2024 at 2:44 PM
    CVCV

CVCV 3rd Toyota Truck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2022 3.5L DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Bottom line: Shift the car like you are driving the bike around town (versus a hotrod) and you will be fine.

Starting out is a bit different due to the power-to-weight, but the clutch is also much bigger and stronger which is why it is dry. My guess is you will forget about the clutch in a few days of driving.

4. May 25, 2024 at 2:49 PM
    2015WhiteOR

2015WhiteOR [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gainesville TX
    Appreciate it fellas. Sounds like I'm worrying about nothing.

doublethebass and CVCV like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top