1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driving in snow

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Zombie Runner, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Dec 15, 2008 at 6:25 AM
    CraigTRD

CraigTRD It's been a while

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD Pro 6M
    Will have: 6" FabTech Lift, Custom rear leaf packs. Hockey Stick Canadian Flag Mod.

When you're stuck in a ditch, 4LO is the best to get you out. You'll crawl right out with it. Is yours stick, or auto?

2. Dec 15, 2008 at 7:14 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Sweet pic!

3. Dec 15, 2008 at 7:26 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Yeah, I know, but I wasn't really stuck. If I had tried in 4Hi and not been able to get out, I would have put it in 4Lo. Mine's a manual.

4. Dec 15, 2008 at 7:30 AM
    CraigTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD Pro 6M
    Will have: 6" FabTech Lift, Custom rear leaf packs. Hockey Stick Canadian Flag Mod.
    4LO is also easier on the clutch when you're doing stuff like that. ;) Just letting you know. I learned the hard way on my first 4x4 (S-10) back about 10 years ago.

5. Dec 15, 2008 at 7:46 AM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Gotcha... It hadn't really occurred to me at the time, but makes perfect sense.

6. Dec 15, 2008 at 1:15 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    Doesn't surprise me that it's slow to kick in. It's probably more beneficial for people who panic and don't know what to do when it starts to slip, hopefully regaining control before they slam on the breaks.

7. Dec 15, 2008 at 2:20 PM
    CraigTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD Pro 6M
    Okkine, mind if I use your signature as my own on another board?

8. Dec 15, 2008 at 4:27 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Haha, go right ahead... I am using it on Toyota Nation though, just so you know...

PS: Thanks for asking :thumbsup:

9. Dec 15, 2008 at 5:36 PM
    CraigTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD Pro 6M
    No.
    ;)
    It's for a local auto club board. :D

10. Dec 15, 2008 at 6:56 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Oh how I envy you right now.

11. Dec 16, 2008 at 1:41 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    I didn't see this answered...
    I have an 07 DC V6 4x4 auto Base model (non TRD/non Sr5) it has an open differential, no traction control or limited slip.
    LSD was an available option add on without a package.

I believe some sort of traction control is standard on 09's, all models I dunno?

12. Dec 16, 2008 at 2:53 AM
    visionre

visionre Mayor of snowville

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    05 2.7L 5spd base

Here the low down. I grew up in the cold north where houses get buried by snow and our family ran a garage and towing business. I drive 70 mph/ 120kmh no problem in snow.

Good things for driving in snow:
    Get skinnier tires- they cut through snow rather than floating on top
    Get winter tires- the rubber compounds in them have a lower freezing point and therefore will be softer in colder weather and grip better.
    Get studded tires if you are going to drive in snow for many months straight. They will stop on a dime on ice. Check local laws, some states and provinces they are banned.
    Traction control and ABS help maintain control.
    Only use 4wd at slow speeds (below 30mph and 60km/h) for getting out of a tough spot, otherwise all 4 wheels turning at higher speeds will send you into a spin as soon as you go around a good corner. AWD different story but doubt anyone has modded that in yet.

Think of winter driving as f1 racing. Drivers are always battling on the boarder of losing traction and control. You have the same battle on snow, just at slower speeds. Have fun.

13. Dec 16, 2008 at 7:21 AM
    M2M

M2M Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    bilstiens, sport 08 w/o scoop, debadged
    just got back from 3 days in the high sierras -
    snow, snow and more snow - 3 + feet on the ground on Monday
    these trucks are great in the snow - even with crappy a$$ stock tires -
    had to turn off the 4x and work to break it free in an empty parking lot
    coming down the hill yesterday was white out, 20 mph - had to go by the side road markers to stay on the road

14. Dec 16, 2008 at 7:23 AM
    CraigTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD Pro 6M
    Pictures???????????????

15. Dec 16, 2008 at 7:51 AM
    e-rok

e-rok Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gunnison, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 Timberland Mica Double Cab Tacoma 4x4
    Yes, my 09 is a base model DC and has traction control. When you turn it off it engages the LSD.

16. Dec 16, 2008 at 11:14 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Personally I've had the opposite experiance. 4WD helps negate that because instead of having the rear end break you loose into a donut the front tires spinning in the direction you want help pull your back end in line again.

17. Dec 16, 2008 at 1:52 PM
    visionre

visionre Mayor of snowville

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    05 2.7L 5spd base
    Some would think. That may be the case if you are driving with lost traction in the rear. Most people want to maintain traction on the highway. It all comes down to the coefficient of friction between the tire and the road. As long as you do not exceed the coefficient of friction, you have traction. As a tire rolls and the tire touches down on the road in one spot, you have static friction. This is considerably higher than the value of kinetic friction which occurs when you lose traction. Friction in Wikipedia -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction

Static friction

Static friction is friction between two objects that are not moving relative to each other. For example, static friction can prevent an object from sliding down a sloped surface. The coefficient of static friction, typically denoted as μs, is usually higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.
    Another important example of static friction is the force that prevents a car wheel from slipping as it rolls on the ground. Even though the wheel is in motion, the patch of the tire in contact with the ground is stationary relative to the ground, so it is static rather than kinetic friction.
    The maximum value of static friction, when motion is impending, is sometimes referred to as limiting friction,[3] although this term is not used universally.[4] The value is given by the product of the normal force and coefficient of static friction.

Kinetic friction

Kinetic (or dynamic) friction occurs when two objects are moving relative to each other and rub together (like a sled on the ground). The coefficient of kinetic friction is typically denoted as μk, and is usually less than the coefficient of static friction for the same materials.

18. Dec 16, 2008 at 2:14 PM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    i drove my 09 for the first time in the snow this weekend on I80 crossing PA and OH. i didnt have a single problem but i was nervous since it was the first time ive driven a pickup in snow.

19. Dec 16, 2008 at 2:20 PM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I've been driving with a high amount of pucker factor lately... We've had over 5' of snow in the last 2 weeks! I have a topper, and thought that would help weight the back end... It's not enough, so I ended up putting 2x60lb bags of tube sand in the back... I'll probably add one more because it's still a little light and easy to get the back end fishtailing when accelerating from a stop in 2wd. It's handled well in 4wd on snow so far. The roads have been snowpacked and icy for the last 4 days or so, and I've definitely been taking it slow... last thing I wanna do is get in a wreck.

20. Dec 16, 2008 at 2:29 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    I hear you. My Dad made me take my driving lessons in the snow when I was a kid, but it's been ten years since I've regularly driven a truck in the snow. I'm excited to hit the empty parking lot, but somewhat nervous about the highways.

Products Discussed in

To Top