1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driving pet peeves

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by KeithB, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Oct 17, 2018 at 8:27 AM
    PennSilverTaco

PennSilverTaco I have Ass Burgers...

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    Please see signature for mods!
    DUI checkpoints!

I encountered one while driving home from work on Saint Patrick's Day in 2017, and it's not something I ever want to encounter again! As a barback at a nightclub, I was probably one of the only people driving home from a bar on St. Pat's who had any business behind the wheel. I had absolutely nothing to drink, but I felt put on the spot and almost like a criminal.

One of my coworkers at the detail shop (and a fellow Tacoma owner) is in favor of cops cracking down on drunk drivers but believe that DUI checkpoints should be illegal. His biggest gripe is that they're a waste of money, and I would definitely agree with that, among other things...

I just don't think that I should have to answer questions from police unless I have actually done something wrong (like getting pulled over for speeding).

Overzealous cops are one of the many reasons I hate driving at night!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    PackCon likes this.
  2. Oct 17, 2018 at 8:35 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    Super White 2013 TRD Sport DCLB - 2002 Ford F250 SD
    Totally agree.

Check points don’t reduce incidence of drunk driving. (Its actually shown developed innercity transportation systems do... but fuck lets spend money on the unnecessary bullshit instead)

I hate any practice that puts unconvicted individuals under scrutiny of any law enforcement to the point where we are treated as guilty until proven innocent.
    Thats why I don’t fly anymore.

Fuck now I need a beer.

JGO and PennSilverTaco like this.
  3. Oct 17, 2018 at 8:37 AM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    As a Pennylvania resident who's lived here for more than 13 consecutive years and been a licensed driver for almost 8 of those years, I can say that I really dislike the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT). They force me to pay a mechanic $60 every year to essentially tell me that my truck is in perfect working order, they tell me what I can and can't do to my truck in terms of modifications, and while I was exempt from underage drinking laws because I didn't get my driver's license until I was 22, I've lost count of how many of my friends lost their licenses for underage drinking when they were nowhere near a motor vehicle.

4. Oct 17, 2018 at 8:37 AM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    :cheers: :amen:

5. Oct 17, 2018 at 8:38 AM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    PennDOT...

Complicating and even completely ruining the lives of working middle-class men and women since 1970!

Harry2015 likes this.
  6. Oct 17, 2018 at 8:40 AM
    JGO

JGO Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Central Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '14, 4 Cyl, A/T, Silver A/C
    If I can't drive there, I don't go there. I quit flying years ago, I hate everything about flying but the TSA agents were the final straw.

PackCon and PennSilverTaco like this.
  7. Oct 17, 2018 at 8:41 AM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    One thing I've noticed is that laws and regulations intended to stop illegal activity end up inconveniencing and pissing off innocent people...

Checkpoints of any kind, with the exception of actual border checkpoints (not the stupid citizenship checkpoints within our country but the legit ones at the Canadian and Mexican borders), are unconstitutional and a bloody waste of time!

8. Oct 17, 2018 at 8:47 AM
    toysrgood

toysrgood MiniTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Sumter, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    MiniTaco4Life
    ICON Stage III 285/75r16 KM2
    A close member of my family got in a serious accident because he reacted to another driver. Rolled his truck 3 or 4 times and ended up with 9 broken/fractured ribs, broken collar bone, and broken scapula.

I drive like a damn turtle even more now because I know I have the tendency to react exactly the same in similar situations.

Just gotta take the high road and let them be. No sense in an additional risk to life and property because someone is distracted or whatever the case may be. The risk they pose is great enough already.

Besides, little 2.7 5spd on 285s doesn't get up and go enough to be aggressive anyway.

Being aggravated also puts undo stress on your family and friends. It makes everyone uncomfortable or upset and rage leaves lasting emotional scars.

JGO and El Duderino like this.
  9. Oct 17, 2018 at 9:19 AM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    Seriously...

I had my driver's license for just over 6 years and never got pulled over in that time. I got my license on May 19th, 2011. I got pulled over, I believe, on either May 24th or May 26th of 2017. This was barely over 2 months after my first (and hopefully last) encounter at a DUI checkpoint, and about six months after I'd been aggressively followed and tailgated by a cop on the same stretch of road where I ended up getting pulled over, no doubt because it was late at night and he was trolling for drunks.

So, I was kind of a dick to the cop, and I regret this, but hear me out...

1. I have Asperger's syndrome, which is a high-functioning form of autism. Aspies have a lot of trouble dealing with changes to their normal routine (in this case getting pulled over on a road I've been driving for years without issue, when I didn't think I'd done anything wrong and I knew my truck was totally legal).

2. My neighbor and I had just installed a $250 GPS/NAV touch-screen head unit in my truck that evening and I'd only found out after hooking it up that it did not have built-in iPod control, so I was pissed about that.

3. As stated above, I'd had two encounters with police in the last six months where I felt I was arbitrarily harassed for "suspicion of DUI."

4. I saw the cop in my rear view mirror, but he was such a great distance away I figured he was just responding to a call. I didn't realize he was pulling me over until I pulled over to let him by and he pulled in behind me.

Basically, all I said "I don't know why the hell I got pulled over!" and it got me a $180 citation that would have resulted in 4 points on my license if I'd just paid it.

The owner of the bar where I work is a damn good lawyer and he represented me at a greatly reduced cost. I apologized to the cop at the court date and we shook hands. The offense was reduced from 43 in a 25 to 5 hour, which was akin to a parking ticket and did not cost me any points. The total for lawyer fees, court costs, and the reduced fine was $650. My dad paid it all for me since I couldn't afford it at the time and it was my first ticket...

Now, imagine if I were someone who didn't have amazing parents and know a really good attorney, who lived paycheck to paycheck. Most people probably would have had the money for the ticket, but not the lawyer. They would have paid the ticket, and then they would have gotten 4 points on their license and their insurance rates would have gone up. PennDOT knocks 3 points off your license a year as long as you don't get more points. If you wrack up more than 6 points at once, then there's a good chance your license will be suspended for weeks or even months, so that poor person loses their ability to drive to work and take their kids to school.

What pisses me off is that the justice system targets lower-income people...

10. Oct 17, 2018 at 9:32 AM
    Jamesboy2233

Jamesboy2233 95.5 sr5

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Mission Tx
    Vehicle:
    1995 Toyota Submarine
    I put leds in my halogens and they don't blind people I've driven my dads car as he's driving my truck and it isn't blinding... New chevys and gmcs are worse

Hella capsules do a good job of consentrating light

11. Nov 1, 2018 at 7:46 AM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    @Gr8fl

Entitled douchebags...

Doylestown seems to be overstocked on 'em!

12. Nov 1, 2018 at 6:23 PM
    Gr8fl

Gr8fl Some rise, some fall, some climb.

Member:
    First Name:
    JK
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    17 Cement Pro, 14 Heritage Blue FJ
    It’s everywhere, you can’t escape it but you can live so you don’t act that way.

PennSilverTaco and El Duderino like this.
  13. Nov 7, 2018 at 5:50 PM
    michael roberts

michael roberts Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    07,4x4, white
    mods in process
    This morning, on the way to work,6:40am. Heavy high speed rush hour traffic, I trying to exit the 75+ mph traffic,and here comes this girl trying to enter the freeway doing 40 mph and get this.... she was putting her eye makeup on using the rear view mirror at the same time.

wilcam47 likes this.
  14. Nov 7, 2018 at 6:27 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My Favorite Song :)

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5, AC/LB, 4x2, V6, Auto, w/Tow, SiriusXM, Stock
    UnderCover SE, Bed Mat, Tint, Weather Techs & DashGoPro
    Cell phone use in the vehicle is still number one problem here in GA and we have a law against it.

TomTwo likes this.
  15. Nov 7, 2018 at 6:32 PM
    michael roberts

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    07,4x4, white
    mods in process
    Cell phone usage is always a menace everywhere, but texting is downright deadly.

16. Nov 8, 2018 at 5:19 PM
    michael roberts

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    07,4x4, white
    mods in process
    How about this. I put a lot of miles on the company car so I've seen more then my fair share of strange and dangerous stuff on the freeways of CA. Today there was this girl pulled over in the emergency lane so her dog could pee, all with 80 mph traffic whizzing by inches away.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    wilcam47 likes this.
  17. Nov 15, 2018 at 10:17 AM
    Jamesboy2233

Jamesboy2233 95.5 sr5

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Mission Tx
    Vehicle:
    1995 Toyota Submarine
    tbh id do the same nothing like urine soaked seats

PennSilverTaco likes this.
  18. Jan 26, 2019 at 4:32 AM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    People who suddenly appear in the path of your vehicle and/or in your blind spot when you are attempting to back up, pull forward, or change lanes.

Seriously! My reverse lights are on and I've already started backing up! Futhermucking wait!

Today, on my way to work, I signaled my intent to go from the left lane to the right lane. Out of nowhere, a woman in a green Honda Accord appears right next to me. She didn't beep. She just scowled at me as she passed me, only to make a right turn into a shopping center seconds later.

wilcam47 likes this.
  19. Jan 26, 2019 at 6:34 AM
    TacoHank1998

TacoHank1998 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    1998 Green Tacoma Base
    Coming soon...
    I'm calling out the city of DeFuniak Springs,FL... did they have a course in the Drivers Ed class that taught you to wait until the incoming vehicle is mere feet away to pull into traffic from a parking lot?!

In a 2 mile stretch of road I had 5 idiots wait until I was right up in them before they pulled into traffic. And I was driving a raggity azz roll - off truck with no Jake and highly suspect brakes. ( it's our "my truck is being serviced and need something to drive that kinda runs" back up truck. Old worn out Mack)

Speed limit 45 through here...

20. Jan 26, 2019 at 6:57 AM
    fathomblue

fathomblue Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Eastern Kansas
    Vehicle:
    05 4wd SR5
    No, you "futhermucking" wait. As the person backing out of a parking space it is your responsibility to yield to traffic in the driving lane and only proceed when the way is clear. Reverse lights on doesn't magically give you the right of way.

Again, regardless of whether you have your turn signal on or not, it is your responsibility to make sure the way is clear before changing lanes.

Last night leaving the grocery store some entitled asshole pulled out of his parking space without looking as I was driving by and nearly creamed the side of my Tacoma. He at least, had the decency to roll down his window and say sorry.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    95 taco likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top