1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driving pet peeves

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by KeithB, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Oct 13, 2020 at 7:59 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I think it’s a pain when they wait to speed up once your past them. Then it’s a game of do I speed up also to get away from this clown or do I just hold my speed and see if they get close then back off once they realize they sped up. Most will back off but you got some jackoffs that will try and repass you. And even worse if they try and then just sit there neck and neck. It’s the type of stuff that makes you wish self-driving cars could get here faster. The motto of most drivers is make things as painful as possible for everyone else.

2. Oct 13, 2020 at 8:01 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I got flashed a few times right after I got my 2013. Most of that was small cars like miata type stature and going up and down hilly roads, compounded with new off the lot bulbs that hadn’t dimmed a bit yet. You can always check your headlight alignment to be sure, otherwise some people are just too sensitive to headlights.

RedWings44 likes this.
  3. Oct 13, 2020 at 8:28 AM
    JEEPNIK

JEEPNIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Sport
    Don’t know about your state but here making a left into either lane is legal.

RedWings44 likes this.
  4. Oct 13, 2020 at 12:00 PM
    HighCountryTacoma

HighCountryTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Off Road Quicksand
    People who lollygag in the left lane and then act like you’re the asshole when you pass them in the right lane. To expound on that, people who get passed in the right lane by three or four cars in a row And still don’t have the common sense to move over.

robin303 and TenBeers like this.
  5. Oct 13, 2020 at 12:03 PM
    Tyler7544

Tyler7544 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    L
    Vehicle:
    The most unique and special Tacoma
    People that turn their brights back on before they pass you

GQ7227 and RedWings44 like this.
  6. Oct 13, 2020 at 12:06 PM
    Louisd75

Louisd75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Washington
    Vehicle:
    '02 Xtra Cab, '15 DCSB
    I had a lady do this to me for about 20 miles. Highway 101, two travel lanes each direction south of King City, hardly another car in sight. I'm sitting in the right lane on cruise control set at the speed limit (tons of highway patrol in the area) and a minivan comes flying up on me and proceeds to sit on my bumper for a minute or two before whipping around me and taking off. Whatever. A few minutes later and I'm catching up to her because she's talking to someone else in the van. A few car lengths from her I change lanes, pass, move back to the right. I never touched cruise control. Next thing I know, here she comes again. Dejavu. After passing her for a second time, here she comes again, but this time she just gets on my bumper and sits there, yacking. I wait for her to pass but she's apparently content to stay behind me. I can barely see her hood in the mirror. So I just started bumping the cruise control down, one mph every 15 seconds or so til I get us down to about 30mph. She's still sitting there yacking away, oblivious to what's going on. I let it sit there for a minute or so before taking CC off and accelerating back up to the speed limit. Never saw her again after that.

HighCountryTacoma likes this.
  7. Oct 13, 2020 at 12:13 PM
    Oreo Cat

Oreo Cat Worst Member

Member:
    Hazy is more of a sun damage thing, and they probably just aren’t adjusted right.

RedWings44 likes this.
  8. Oct 14, 2020 at 6:55 AM
    EdgemanVA

EdgemanVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 X-Runner
    Several
    U-Turns at busy intersections.

Lights seem to be too short in a lot of circumstances, so people taking their time to do a U-turn often prevents a couple cars from catching that light. Go past the busy intersection, and do a U-turn at a less congested area!

Mopar Mussel likes this.
  9. Oct 14, 2020 at 7:03 AM
    MagtechPA

MagtechPA Thor

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I lowered my Mustang so the ride height is about 2” closer to the ground, and I noticed a BIG difference in the brightness of the headlights on other modern vehicles. Some of the high intensity lights on the newer SUVs and trucks are just painfully bright, even though that’s entirely not their fault.
    It’s gotten to the point that I don’t even drive that car at night anymore.

10. Oct 14, 2020 at 7:14 AM
    batacoma

batacoma Truck Wars

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Regular Cab 4spd
    People who use high beams on streets that are in town. There isn't anything to see where their highbeams are shining. Most of the time it's a ride share driver.

11. Oct 14, 2020 at 7:15 AM
    usmc2msu

usmc2msu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    In the same vein...in Michigan (not sure if it's a common law in other states) you can turn left onto a one way from a two way, but people here just will not do it. Even if traffic is clear for miles. The only exception is if the lane has a directional arrow/light that tells you when you can go.

12. Oct 14, 2020 at 7:18 AM
    MagtechPA

MagtechPA Thor

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    They are the worst.
    Whenever I see a car with “Lyft” on the windshield, I am on high alert. Chances are they are about to do something mindless.

parkman likes this.
  13. Oct 14, 2020 at 7:44 AM
    Da Boogie Man

Da Boogie Man Dirty Dogg

Member:
    First Name:
    Sweet T
    My peeve is when I’m sitting at a red light and a lifted Tacoma pulls up next to me. It makes me feel inadequate. If I see a lifted Taco pulling up, I just run the light.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    TacoHank1998, Cudgel, GQ7227 and 3 others like this.
  14. Oct 14, 2020 at 9:34 AM
    JEEPNIK

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You’re overreacting. You only need to worry if it raises a rear tire to piss on you.

CurtB likes this.
  15. Oct 14, 2020 at 11:29 AM
    KeithB

KeithB [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    What? You're not allowed to make a left turn in your state? If the light is green, you can turn left when there is no oncoming traffic in any state.

16. Oct 14, 2020 at 1:41 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    I read that wrong at first as well, he said it is legal. As long as the lane is available and you yield to anyone else that has the ROW, I doubt any officer anywhere would have an issue. What I recall from the handbook is taking the "first available lane," but if both are available, I don't see what the issue is.

17. Oct 14, 2020 at 9:12 PM
    Wiener

Wiener Cunning Linguist

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Eldora, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    Regular Cab 4x4 2.7
    bull bar, tonneau cover, aftermarket headlight bulbs, AVG vent visors, DeeZee bed mat
    Here in Iowa we have a huge bicycle ride called RAGBRAI( Registers annual great bike ride across Iowa). I used to live in the country off a two lane county road that was quite hilly. I was heading home after work and met this horde of cyclists coming the other way( think of thousands of drunk bicycle riders in a pack up to ten miles long).I slowed down to about 35 mph when I met them as you never know what they will do. So I`m doodle bopping along watching the girls in their skimpy bicycle outfits riding along and popped over a fairly steep hill about a mile from home and coming up the hill were about twenty five cyclists taking up both lanes. I locked up the brakes and pulled over to let them by and to check my shorts. This group of mental midgets finally went by and I proceeded to my turnoff. Sitting there was an ambulance with it`s lights on. The cyclists wouldn`t let them on the road. A highway trooper finally showed up to stop the herd and let the ambulance go on it`s way. Don`t even think of going into town when they are there. Stop signs? What are those? Hundreds of bikers on foot crossing the road anywhere they want while stepping out on the road directly in front of you. Thankfully they are gone the next day. Pick up their trash? Not them. Ah well, they do spend a lot of money in town. Not all Ragbrai riders are jerks. Quite a few will pick up after themselves and some will even obey traffic signs. It`s just a clusterf... when they are around. Thankfully I am now retired and don`t have to go out when they are around. I can just sit in my yard and bitch at them to " get off my yard".

18. Oct 14, 2020 at 9:45 PM
    JEEPNIK

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Out here bicyclists believe they are a privileged caste. With a bike riding governor and LA having two in a row it’s gotten ridiculous. They have taken entire lanes over for bikes. The traffic results have been disastrous.

Now before someone freaks out I ride have for over 60 years. But I understand the traffic laws. The current climate makes the vehicle driver automatically at fault in an accident.

Is it any wonder there is such animosity between the groups?

Gunshot-6A, randd and Mopar Mussel like this.
  19. Oct 14, 2020 at 9:48 PM
    HighCountryTacoma

HighCountryTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Off Road Quicksand
    How good were the skimpy bike outfits though? Worth the hassle?! Hahah!

Taco critter likes this.
  20. Oct 15, 2020 at 5:53 AM
    CurtB

CurtB Old Timer knowitall

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5
    :worthless:

Taco critter likes this.