1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driving with Auto LSD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dkeinath, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Jun 10, 2009 at 10:50 AM
    dkeinath

dkeinath [OP] New Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Greetings. I've been driving 4X4's for years, but am new to Tacos and this forum.

I have a question about my 09 Tacoma TRD sport. I like using the Automatic Limited Slip Differential when driving around town, particularly in the winter, which is done by manually turning off the TRAC feature and turning on the ALSD using the button on the dash. ALSD seems to handle the stop-and-go corning on gravelly and/or slippery streets more smoothly than the standard setting. Unless you are VERY delicate in your acceleration, the standard setting results in a noticeable lag after stepping on the accelerator that is followed by a surge. I assume (correctly?) that this is because TRAC is applying breaks to control initial accelration and then releasing them once you hit a certain speed ... which can be a little annoying.

Problem: The manual states that you should NOT use ALSD for continuous driving. Why is this? Can I drive around town with the ALSD turned on and switch to normal when hitting the highway? Will this harm my vehicle?

Thanks for the input!

Doug

2. Jun 10, 2009 at 11:27 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Not sure exactly, but thinking it could possibly overheat the brakes under hard use or its for safety...w/ LSD the truck is easier to fishtail.

I have the Mech LSD in my 2005, but tested all the settings on my buddy's 2009 on snow this winter. Agree on snow in 2wd Auto LSD was better than TRAC. One button push its on w/ safety net VSC, stop and hold forever till BEEP safety net off and finally its powerslide time.

I believe it shuts-off automaticlally over 55 mph.

3. Jun 10, 2009 at 3:50 PM
    dkeinath

dkeinath [OP] New Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Thanks Demoncleaner

I wish I knew the real difference between TRAC and ALSD. I understand that they both use selective application of the rear brakes to optimize traction, but don't really understand how they differ and when to use ALSD.

... anyone have an opinion/knowledge about whether it's okay to do a lot of local driving in ALSD mode?

Cheers.

4. Jun 10, 2009 at 4:07 PM
    FL4x4Taco

FL4x4Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Demoncleaner- What do you mean you hold the button down until it beeps? I just hit the traction control button once to engage Auto LSD, which shuts off at speeds over 35 mph IIRC.

5. Jun 10, 2009 at 4:16 PM
    dkeinath

dkeinath [OP] New Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    If you hold down the button, it completely turns off TRAC and VSC (and ASLD, I think). When you do that, you are operating without any of those ... just a straight-up RWD truck.

6. Jun 10, 2009 at 5:33 PM
    Kysport

Kysport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Metallic TRD Sport 4x4 SB DC JBL/Nav
    Undercover SE, Console Vault, Sly Bracket, Michelins
    I too have driven 4x4's for many years. I read the Tacoma owners manual and it said to drive in 4 wheel hi once a month for 10 miles. Unless I drive on a straight road and never turn, I don't see how I can do that on dry roads. Every other 4 wheel drive I have owned would jump like crazy if turning with all four wheels pulling at the same wheel speed. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks.

To Top