1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DRL's better than lights for MPG?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Surferdude, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Dec 5, 2011 at 9:07 AM
    Surferdude

Surferdude [OP] Erich

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    Grayslake, il
    Vehicle:
    '11, DC SR5, 4x4
    ProEFX Tonneau cover, Coverking seat covers, Weathertech front floor liners, Coverking Cab Cover, Westin nerfs, in transit...
    Read this today in my manual:
    "Compared to turning on the headlights, the daytime running light system
    offers greater durability and consumes less electricity, so it can help
    improve fuel economy."

Seriously? Is there any truth to this? :confused:

Ran across this today when I noticed my lights didn’t turn off after locking the truck. Actually, walked into work (for an hour +) then my worried mind told me to go back and sure enough, lights were all still on. :eek:

Maybe I’m losing my mind but I thought I’ve been leaving my full head-lights on all the time, locking the truck and they would go off. Then today, they didn’t.

Which is why I broke out the manual and read the above. I don’t see how running more electrical devices reduces MPG but, I’m willing to learn…

I then switched my light switch to the little o, for DRL. Sure enough, the blinkers and such are all lit. Then oddly enough, when I locked the vehicle, the DRL’s did NOT go off. Waited about 10 minutes and they were still on. Had to rotate to off, close/lock vehicle, turn back on and put into DRL mode. THEN, they went off when I locked it. Really odd.

2. Dec 5, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I guess in theory it would since its less draw on the electrical system to just run the DTRL vs. the head lights, which means less stress on your alternator.

But I can't see it making enough of a difference that you'd notice the extra cash in your pocket.

3. Dec 5, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    switch to all leds. the power drain on a quality set of leds is one 20th that of a filament bulb in the same size.

i switched over every single filament bulb on my truck to putco. neutrons but, i don't think it will ever really equate to any measurable savings in fuel.

4. Dec 5, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    Dustyroades

Dustyroades Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    Nothing's free, the energy to power your lights comes from your fuel. That being said it's on the order of fractions of a horsepower.

5. Dec 6, 2011 at 9:36 AM
    Surferdude

Surferdude [OP] Erich

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    Grayslake, il
    Vehicle:
    '11, DC SR5, 4x4
    ProEFX Tonneau cover, Coverking seat covers, Weathertech front floor liners, Coverking Cab Cover, Westin nerfs, in transit...
    Agreed.

So I wasn't crazy, ALL the lights do shut off when you remove key and open the door, not just the DRLs.

However, I think if you park it, Turn off lights, remove keys then turn on lights, they will stay on. Even after locking truck from outside.

It's quirky.

6. Dec 6, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    I leave my head light switch on almost all the time. When I shut the engine down and open the door the lights go off. If by chance I turn the lights off and then back on after I've done the above the headlights will go out in a few hours when the battery is spent.
    It's always worked that way on my Tacoma. The manual says that but not as clearly as I'd like it to read.
    I haven't killed my battery yet but I'm sure one day it'll happen.

I don't have DRL so I use the headlights most of the time. I can't believe anyone could measure the fuel used to power the lights for a few miles.

7. Dec 6, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    As long as your blinker fluid is full you should be fine and shouldn't worry to much about the drain of power and mpg's from electric devices.

8. Dec 6, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    I think the gas station pumps have a wider tolerance for metering fuel, especially since they adjust the numbers for temperature (volume corrected to 60F or something).

9. Dec 6, 2011 at 9:56 AM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    Takes the same energy to spin the alternator with lights on or off, must be a goberment study to claim that.

10. Dec 6, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    this. i found out the hard way with a dead battery a few years ago. leave the switch turned to headlights. it will turn off when you need it to and you dont have to worry about it.

Products Discussed in

To Top