1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DRL's melting need new cover!!!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by gatorfan4eva15, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Jul 13, 2014 at 10:13 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Ah thank you.
    The lens insert is different. It looks glass.

2. Jul 13, 2014 at 10:16 PM
    TacoVerde

TacoVerde Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    URD short shifter, OBX racing pedals and titanium/carbon fiber shift knob, Rear speaker mod, Taco bed mat, Bed extender, taco door sill protectors, Black TRD floormats, AFE stage 2 CAI, Doug Thorley Header and Catback, Glassworks Unlimited front fenders/bedsides, Engage front LT kit,2.5x8 King co's with resi's, dj straps
    They did, didn't even notice that in the pictures.

3. Jul 13, 2014 at 11:03 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Got mine replaced last month.

[​IMG]

4. Jul 14, 2014 at 4:56 AM
    ToyotaPartsMan

ToyotaPartsMan Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Sport V6 4x4
    Yes all warranty/recalls, or anything of that nature is done by VIN# not by owner. So it does not matter if the truck has changed owners 10 times its covered.

No they have not changed the design from what I can tell same part#'s involved. Nothing has been "updated".

Yes unfortunately they will. Now depending on how often you visit your local Toyota dealer for service work, if you are a loyal customer of theirs and have been for quite some time. They, I know we do, usually look the other way in instances such as these and eat the cost to keep you happy and coming back. The warranty is null & void if any type of modification has been made.

5. Jul 15, 2014 at 2:53 PM
    gatorfan4eva15

gatorfan4eva15 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    11' PreRunner SR5
    Just newly purchased. Ive done a couple cheap mods but nothing serious Plastidip badges, weathertech mats, LED light strip with ground cutoff switch under hood, LED strip shifter light, LED map lights and dome light
    Well a little update since last week. I called corporate Toyota twice and even talked to a supervisor and they told me there was nothing they could do. Then i asked about the program that Toyota parts man talked about and they "all of a sudden remembered that was an option" so I'm thinking if you mention that and tell them that your VIN fits the requirements than they cant deny you. I think they don't tell you on purpose unless you make it aware that you know about this program. So if anyone has a problem call your local dealer and ask about the Warranty Enhancement Program and you should get a new set of lights like I did today!!!

3rdgentaco likes this.
  6. Jul 15, 2014 at 4:18 PM
    BrandonTorgerson

BrandonTorgerson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Signal Hill, Ca
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4
    Just to add my 2 cents, I read this thread today, and went right over to cabe Toyota in long beach CA. I mentioned this warranty and they came out with some paper work about it. First denied me, then when I asked to see that paper work and read it back to them, they agreed to replace my headlights! Apparently the guy was "reading it wrong"... I have 72000 miles and bought my tacoma in feb 2009. I will get a call tomorrow when my headlights are in. Then will be doing my retro stage 4 kit.

7. Jul 15, 2014 at 4:22 PM
    gatorfan4eva15

gatorfan4eva15 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    11' PreRunner SR5
    Just newly purchased. Ive done a couple cheap mods but nothing serious Plastidip badges, weathertech mats, LED light strip with ground cutoff switch under hood, LED strip shifter light, LED map lights and dome light
    Yea I am pretty sure toyota trains them to "forget" or "read it wrong" because they know they screwed up and they wanna save every dollar they can. Im glad you got them though man nice to see some people getting some justice haha

8. Jul 15, 2014 at 4:23 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Well intetestingly , after reading the pdf , I checked my VIN and I'm eligible so I went and had a really good look at my lenses and they are perfect , but upon pulling the bulbs I found that both bulb sockets are melted and charred

I hope I don't get any greif about this being a USA only thing or issues with the fact I have Sleeper Eyelids installed

9. Jul 15, 2014 at 4:26 PM
    BrandonTorgerson

BrandonTorgerson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Signal Hill, Ca
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4
    I had already bought a cheap set to throw in there too, and was going to do the retro fit in them, then I saw this and was like wait a min! BRAND NEW OEM LIGHTS FOR FREE! Why not! Thanks man!

10. Jul 16, 2014 at 7:22 AM
    whahahajr

whahahajr Lone Star Club

Member:
    First Name:
    jimbob
    New Braunfels, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD
    Camburg Uniball UCA, ARB Front Bumper, TAG rear bumper, OME rear shocks, All Pro 3" leaf springs
    It did not take that long. I did it with out taking the lenses off. I popped them loose with a screw driver. Wiggled it till I could grab them with a needle nose pliers. Then with a pair of dikes cut it up piece by piece and dropped it out of the socket whole. :D

11. Jul 16, 2014 at 8:21 PM
    Boomtacoma01

Boomtacoma01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston
    I just had mine looked at today. I'm on my third set of headlights and 4th bulb socket. My 09 has 120K on it and my dealer said the replacement is covered up to 150K. I have some eBay cheapies in there now and brought my OEM ones in as well for evidence. Needless to say, I'm getting a new set of headlight housings and they want to replace the the wiring from the harness to the headlight. The kicker is they need to remove my heavy ass Shrockworks bumper to do the work. Or so they say.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Jul 19, 2014 at 9:36 PM
    kltyrrell

kltyrrell New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    06 4D 4x4
    Well if that isn't just my luck. After hemming and hawing for a year, I finally put in a new set of Spyder Auto LEDs last weekend. :-(

I did take the truck in over a year ago while under extended warranty for my '06 4D 4x4 and was denied as head lights are considered "trim".

ToyotaPartsMan, do you think I could still get a new connector/harness? Connecter is smokey but works ok in the new setup.

As for being on good terms with my dealership, bah. Years ago, yes, but not anymore. The customer has to fight for everything under warranty.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  13. Jul 21, 2014 at 4:20 AM
    ToyotaPartsMan

ToyotaPartsMan Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Sport V6 4x4
    Yes bulb socket, harness connector & wires are available as a separate items.

Part #'s are...

Bulb Socket : 90075-60060 x 1
    Body Harness Connector : 90980-11020 x 1
    6"repair wire : 82998-12440 x 3

This will do one side. Double Qty. for both sides.

14. Jul 21, 2014 at 10:30 AM
    evile

evile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    I had my factory headlights replaced adter I had an accedent. I just bought Depos off Amazon and they are awesome, but to avoid the whole melting thing again I am going to replace the turn signal/DLR with LED bulbs

15. Jul 21, 2014 at 11:09 AM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    you know if you change drl to led, you will need to modify the resistor in the drl relay. it is a bad idea to use a load resistor on the drl led constantly on during the day (load resistor is a bad idea regardless). I would keep the incandescent bulb, as the led are not brighter and defeats the purpose of drl.

16. Jul 23, 2014 at 4:08 PM
    kltyrrell

kltyrrell New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    06 4D 4x4
    Thanks for the part numbers! Do you think I can get these under the warranty even though I installed new headlights???

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  17. Jul 24, 2014 at 9:31 AM
    ToyotaPartsMan

ToyotaPartsMan Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Sport V6 4x4
    Unfortunately no. The warranty extension is for the headlamp assy.'s only.

18. Jul 26, 2014 at 10:56 PM
    dan33900

dan33900 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Maumelle, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB 4X4 MGM
    I just got mine ordered on Thursday. Make sure you show them the no limitation until 2015. If not they try to say your not covered. North Point Toyota in North Little Rock is doing mine.

19. Jul 28, 2014 at 8:38 AM
    99TacoDriver

99TacoDriver Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Louisiana
    OME 885x/5100s/LR UCA/3 leaf AAL/275/70/17 Terra Trac X-Venture

didnt you know that the sleeper eyelids melt the sockets? looks like your out of luck buddy. that modification definitely caused the damage

20. Jul 30, 2014 at 7:36 AM
    Boomtacoma01

Boomtacoma01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston
    I will disable the DTRL's after recieving my new set to avoid this in the future.

Products Discussed in

To Top