1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

dropping down to smaller tires....

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by brelandt, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Aug 19, 2011 at 7:48 PM
    brelandt

brelandt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    Because I NEVER offroad and I drive 155 miles each day to and from work I'm looking to save some fuel cost. I know the standard tire size for some of the 4wd was 225/75 but mine came with the 265/70. Also after checking with 2 different GPS and placing both GPS in a brand new Altima I see that my speedo is off a lot. At 70 mph according to the GPS my speedo is reading 74. The faster I go the further off it gets.
    I used the tire size calculator and see that the 225 will actually correct this.
    So...has anyone done this in order to save gas? Also will this throw the ABS off?
    I work for Firestone and can get really good discounts on my tires and I can install them for free and do my own alignment afterwards, Lucky me!

2. Aug 20, 2011 at 10:10 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    As Bassman said, you're golden. Only thing to pay attention to is the RPM's at higher speeds (cruising speed for a highway). For the 2nd Gen it's fairly high so going to a smaller tire would actually cause you to lose mileage. If you're going back to stock size I can't see that being an issue though.

3. Aug 20, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    NSDON

NSDON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    NS
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 TRD 4X4 Step Side
    No problem with ABS as long as all 4 tires are the same size. I had 265's on mine, went to a 245, never ran the 265's long enough to figure out the gas mileage. My speedo was out about 1-2KPH with the 265's, now off 5KPH at 110KPH on the speedo, I am doing 105 on GPS.

I am getting 21.5 MPG with the 245's on mixed city & highway. That's a CDN gallon. A buddy has a SRT8 450 or so HP Jeep, he gets about 19MPG highway, and probably weighs more than I do. The Tacoma is not easy on gas.

I thought like you that fuel mileage may improve with smaller tires, the 245's are an inch smaller on the diameter. The engine isn't working as hard to turn the smaller rubber, but it depends on where the HP and toque are at whatever RPM you are traveling, if the engine is "lugging" or just working easy.

Anyone got a torque/HP curve on a 3.4?

Don

4. Aug 20, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    MacGyvR

MacGyvR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner SR5 2wd
    I'm running on 225's right now. I just got 23mpg on a 100mile highway trip from phoenix to tucson the other day, I was blown away! I average about 18.5 in the city too. I'm actually thinking about going up to 235's because I think the 225's look a little small.

Out of curiosity, what tire are you gonna run with? I was looking at getting some destination LEs.

5. Aug 20, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    tacomalex

tacomalex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
  6. Aug 21, 2011 at 8:50 PM
    brelandt

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    Going with both smaller diameter and width. Mostly due to the weight of the stock tires.
    macgyver...haven't made up my mind yet. I have a warehouse with over 2000 tires to wonder around and look at. I'll grab a few sizes and measure them as well.

7. Aug 22, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    2001 X-Cab 4x4 TRD V6 5Spd
    Deck plate, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 series, 265/75-16 Wrangler TDs, more to come...
  8. Aug 22, 2011 at 9:28 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4
    K&N intake
    Sure, getting smaller tires will mean less rolling resistance, but your speedo will be off, and you'll be reving higher unless you re-gear.

You're best bet is to just slow down. I got 18+ MPG (us gallons) from central cali to northern Washington State and back, towing a pop-up trailer. I was doing 55-60 the whole way, though...

Ideally, you wouldn't be driving a 4x4 truck as a commuter, anyway. Buy a 10-15 year old Honda Civic for your commuter @ 40+ mpg easy.

I understand not wanting to buy another vehicle, but if you NEVER use it off road, why have the truck? Do you haul stuff?

9. Aug 22, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    brelandt

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    jbrandt...my speedo is off now with stock size tires. I researched the size I wanted it the chart shows that it will bring me closer to what speed my truck really is traveling.
    I bought the truck brand new in 2004 when I had a great paying job. I am a truck guy and my always be. Love the look of the prerunner and it was what I needed. my new job doesn't pay as well so I can't just get something else nor do I want to drive a Civic anyway. If 23 mpg is the best I can do than I'm fine with it. I love working on my truck and don't mind playing around with it. I work on cars all day long at work and I believe in a world where if you want a Prius then buy it if you want a Ram 4x4 lifted...go for it!
    m3bassman....i hope I answered your...people dont realize they cant have the best of both worlds.!

10. Aug 22, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    jbrandt

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4
    K&N intake
    That's my point. I see many people (not necessarily the OP, but in other forums) where a guy buys a lifted 3500HD and complains about how much he spends on gas (and blames the government for his predicament). Well duh, it's a giant brick on 38 inch tires. Then they make fun of those hippy liberals who buy Prius'. Kind of ironic, really.

In my situation, the wife and I have two cars, an accord, and my Tacoma. I drive the accord to work because I work farther away, or I ride my bike (10 miles). I "let" her drive the taco to work because she works like 10 blocks away from home.

But I think you can have the best of both worlds, it just costs a bit more (at first). I know several people who own a lifted truck that tows the dirtbikes and stuff on the weekends, but think it's lame to commute with it mon-fri, so they buy a late 90's civic for a couple grand, and save easily a couple hundred bucks a year on gas (more if the price keeps going up).

I don't blame you, I'm a truck guy too, I haven't owned a car since high school (until I got married, that is). I stated what I thought was the "best" option, if MPG was your main concern. Everyone has their own compromise they're willing to make, and what their situation will allow (salary, commute distance, etc...). I'd love to have a dual sport dirtbike I could commute on, or just have the time to ride my bicycle 5 days a week, but I don't. So I ride when I can, and drive the wife's Accord when I need to drive (I work 30 minutes away, wife works 2 minutes from home). She drives the truck to her job. That made the most sence for us.

My speedo is almost exactly right on (less than 1mph off at 75), I'm running 265/75-R16's, slightly larger than stock on my '04 4x4. I used my GPS and those police radar trailers that tell you your speed to verify.

All that said, there really isn't all that much you cna do to a Tacoma to give it better mileage, expecially if you're already getting 23mpg. IMO, putting small tires on a Taco will ruin that "truck look" that you and I like so much... That said, my '97 5-lug got 30+ mpg...

11. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    brelandt

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    Yep, not financially capable of switching to a car even if that was what I wanted and also I can't see spending 2 grand to save a few hundred. Stepping over dollars to to pick up pennies.
    So, making the best of what I have is really the purpose of my thread. Weighing low cost options in order to deal with or survive the situation I find myself in now. 156 miles a day 6 days a week adds up fast and it's a job I just got 4 weeks ago. Finding a job closer to home wasn't possible. No one is hiring. You're from NorCal. I commute from Near Patterson to where I work in fremont. Part of that commute I deal with climbing over passes and sitting in Livermore waiting to get to I-680. I LOVE being in my truck and the way she drives.
    Anyhow, back to subject at hand. Sounds like your speedo is closer to acturate than mine. I have replacement uniroyals at 265/70 and may be no where near what the OEM 265/70 where? Like buying a pair of jeans. 34 in one brand fits but not in another.

12. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    jbrandt

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4
    K&N intake

To Top