1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drunk Driving Consequences

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by schiz94, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Apr 18, 2011 at 10:36 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    When I was in high school I had a couple of classmates who chose to drive drunk. One was driving a 944 Porsche and one was driving a fully restored 69 Camaro. Both vehicles rolled at over 60 MPH. I have no idea how either one of them survived after seeing the condition of the cars. The guy driving the Camaro had his girlfriend in the passenger seat. Call it dumb luck, divine intervention, whatever it is you believe in, but no one died in either incident.

The year after I graduated, another one of my classmates flipped her parents' Suburban at freeway speeds about 10 miles out of town. There were rumors that it was alcohol related, but I never have gotten the full story. She was from a prominent local family with some connections, and I believe the evidence may have been swept under the rug. She had nine other people in the truck with her, only a couple of them were belted in. A few broken bones for her passengers, no one died. She was the least fortunate and sustained a brain injury. It's been 13 years since the accident, last I heard she is living with her parents and is still learning to do normal household things like cooking and loading the dishwasher. She was a star athlete and an honor student. The kid who had it all going on.

I did attend one funeral for a cross country teammate during high school. He had a seizure in his parents hot tub, no one was around and he drowned. It was not a fun thing to have to go through.

I'm glad that the schools are still hosting these types of speakers. We should all take them seriously, and the message is just as strong whether you're 17 or 70.

2. Apr 18, 2011 at 10:48 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    X2 ^ ya i love alcohol and sometimes ride skateboard a little to drunk...:confused::confused::confused: but if you driving dont drink even if it is a sip

and its DD for designated driver not DD for drunk driver or DDD for designated drunk driver

Jeep the roads safe:turtleride:

3. Apr 18, 2011 at 10:48 PM
    slmgt

slmgt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr)
    Speakers can only go so far in instilling fear into the hearts of captive audiences. The point needs to be driven home even more clearly through creative means. The threat of incredible negative punishment would go a long way - knowing that not only will it not be tolerated, but it will cost you dearly emotionally, mentally and financially.

Far too often DUIs are legal 'slaps on the wrist.' Only once they are repeated do more severe punishments come into play. That type of punishment encourages bad behavior and works better when lives are not at risk (such as copyright law violations). Slam that hammer down and make it clear such behavior is absolutely inexcusable.

4. Apr 18, 2011 at 10:54 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast

living in the drunkest city in America, i had an opportunity to write an essay on why alcohol helps college. needless to say destroyed that thing and got over 100 on it :woot:

for highschool kids fear is a good deterrent for not drinking and im pretty sure it is drilled into their heads, but its the kind of thing where you to much wont help any more and that is a fine line....i guess we can show them bloody accidents and stuff but that is probably illegal

on a side note, i think kids now a days are babied far to much....the regulations they have in schools are ridiculous!

5. Apr 18, 2011 at 10:58 PM
    trek

trek the boss man

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma sport TRD
  6. Apr 18, 2011 at 10:59 PM
    trek

trek the boss man

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma sport TRD
    they played the whole scene in front of us

7. Apr 18, 2011 at 10:59 PM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    what are these regulations

8. Apr 19, 2011 at 6:52 AM
    schiz94

schiz94 [OP] Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    I think the real punishment for this guy was killing his little brother, whom he was a hero to. and then having to live with it. through prison. through rehab. Can you imagine having to live with killing your own family member and having to live with it? Like he says in the video Drunk Driving is NOT an accident, Its a CHOICE

9. Apr 19, 2011 at 7:03 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    This is very true. A kid's or young friend's funeral is by far the worst thing I've had to go through, especially seeing the kid's parents and how it affects them. It's of course sad when your 90 yr old grandmother dies but it's definitely not the same at all.

Good to see someone young see that drinking and driving is wrong and not just because it's illegal.

10. Apr 19, 2011 at 8:11 AM
    tanzak88

tanzak88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    My brother got a DUI, a minor in posession and a public endangerment warning, riding his pedal bike on the sidewalk coming home from a party in Bellingham with 2 beer in his backpack. He was 20 at the time.

Good post, OP. There needs to be more speakers like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top