1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DTRL Lens Melting

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wizo, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Mar 12, 2010 at 5:58 AM
    wizo

wizo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Port St. John, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner 2.7L
    2.5" Walker Evans C/O's, All Pro UCA's,
    Check this out, on both of my headlights the DTRL lens has a bunch of small bubbles as if it is melting. Anyone else have this issue. Also I want to take this to the dealer but I wonder if they will turn me down as I have HIDS. However the HIDs should have no impact on the DTRL lens.

DTRL01.jpg
    DTRL02.jpg

2. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:02 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    did you mod this or do you have a newer tacoma with the DTRL?

3. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:04 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    09-Probably had DTRL stock?? What is the power on your HIDs??

4. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:06 AM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    I'd turn your headlamps on and hit it with an IR thermometer if you happen to have one. I really don't think the dealer will do anything for you but sell you a new set of lamps, wether or not the HIDs would be the cause, just because that would be easiest solution for them.

5. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:07 AM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    If you haven't modded the truck or gone up-wattage on the DRL bulbs I'd take that back to the dealer. They may install new headlights for you :) It may help to explain that clear lenses are required to pass safety inspection if they say that the bubbles are cosmetic only (I doubt you'd ever fail for this, but its a point worth making to bolster your case).

6. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:11 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Only two issues with this-
    1) I'm sure the dealership has someone on staff who does inspections...so if it's not true they'll call you on it.
    2) Florida doesn't require any inspections after you register the vehicle.

7. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Good points! I didn't know FL got a break on safety inspections. I hope they do away with that bullcrap in VA.

Reading the linked threads it sounds like the DRLs, headlight bulbs, and turn signal brightness is tweaked slightly at the factory when DRLs are added. I wonder if adding HIDs could have changed the output of the DRLs, causing the melting?

8. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:22 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    That's what I was curious about as well- and if the DTRLs are at the edge of what will melt the lens- and then you add the HIDs or put in higher wattage bulbs...Might be enuf to heat up those housings to melt it down.

9. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Stock bulbs do not do this- it must be the bulb you put in there. Was the bulb larger in size? ( Not wattage )

10. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:34 AM
    Danosabre

Danosabre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Gardner,Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Extang Trifold bed cover,DDM 55W 6000k HID, maglight, Vent visors
    I would put it back to stock and bring it the dealer. I have HIDs in mine and one of the lenses kept fogging up. I took out the HIDs and brought it to the stealer, they replace the headlight unit under warranty

11. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:34 AM
    wizo

Member:
    Port St. John, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner 2.7L
    Wow! Thanks for all the replies. I went in the garage to install my weathertechs and came back to find my thread blew up :D.

Factory DTRL

55w

Factory bulb is in place

12. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:41 AM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    GA doesn't do safety inspections either.

How did you wire your HIDS? which wires did you tap into?

13. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:50 AM
    wizo

Member:
    Port St. John, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner 2.7L
    I did not tap into any wires. The driver side headlight plug controls the HIDs. Power for the ballasts comes direct from the battery on a fused circuit. Then the ground is located on the driver side fender.

14. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:

oh ok well I doubt the HID's had anything to do with it then.

15. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    wizo

Member:
    Port St. John, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner 2.7L
    I think I am gunna drive down to the dealer and see what they say, I can't get them in the tele. I'll let you all know what happens.

16. Mar 12, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    Isn't 55W high? I thought 35w was recommended.

17. Mar 12, 2010 at 10:48 AM
    wizo

Member:
    Port St. John, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner 2.7L
    UPDATE

I took the truck down to the dealer. Service rep has not seen this on the Tacoma's but did mention he had seen this on Avalon's. Both service managers and a tech looked at the lights. They also found the sockets appear to be burnt. They informed me they are contacting Toyota corporate and will advise me of what the can do. Also they mentioned my HIDs and would investigate the possibility of them causing the issue.

I highly doubt the HIDs are to blame. If they pull that card I will be ready for it. Another note I will bring up to them if they blame the HIDs is why the dealer sells and installs HID kits if it melts the DTRL housing.

18. Mar 12, 2010 at 5:05 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    The plugs on my 2005 Canadian Tacoma that has DTRL from the factory also has the plugs discolored from the heat. The lens themselves however are still OK.

19. Mar 23, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    wizo

Member:
    Port St. John, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner 2.7L
    Well bad news! Dealer told me they will not replace my headlights as per their rep I have modified them. I pulled temp readings proving the Halogen is actually hotter then HIDS but they don't care. I also showed them that the DTRL bulb is running at over 400*F and mere centimeters from the lens. Somehow they seem to believe the HIDs are causing this. However they told me even if that is not the case they will not honor the warranty as I altered the head lights. Total BS if you ask me, I could see if my issue was with the headlights but its the DTRLs that are the problem.

The biggest bunch of bull is when I asked them how the HID lights could have any impact on the DTRLs when they are NEVER on at the same time, they could not provide an answer. Yet still not willing to do anything further as they have never seen this and can only attribute it to my modification.

20. Mar 23, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    wizo

Member:
    Port St. John, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner 2.7L
    DTRL Bulb
    [​IMG]

DTRL Lens
    [​IMG]