1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DTRL Melting Lens

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Poacher, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    09 Redneck

09 Redneck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ga
    I did the same thing and could never find anything either. When I went and showed them the dealership said yeah we have one and will take care of it. I will look at my paper work and get back to you.

2. Feb 11, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    iroc409

iroc409 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    So, I posted about this here some time ago, and if you search for my threads you might find it. I don't have the information on me at the moment, but if I remember can get it in the next few days. I also don't have time to dig it up right now.

First of all, cheap eBay non-OEM headlight housings will most likely be a disappointment. The light output will not be as good, and the UV coatings are generally not as durable--so they won't last as long.

Second, there is a bulb option that I've been running for probably over a year, and I have had no melting issue.

GM had a problem with bulbs prematurely burning out on some vehicles. So, instead of installing bulbs that are normally rated for 12.8V, they created a new bulb spec for 14V. If these bulbs are run at standard voltage, they will have slightly less output and therefore slightly less heat.

You have to make sure and actually get the bulb--i.e. the number stamped on the bulb itself. Sometimes the dealer pass off the regular 12.8V versions. You pretty much have to get these through a GM dealer, but they were easy for me to get.

Also, it's good to remember:
    -The best quality bulbs go into the manufacturing line, and what comes with your car
    -The second best generally go to the dealerships-what you get at the parts counter
    -The bulbs in the little blister packs at the auto parts stores are what don't meet the quality of the first two. They still meet the requirements, but are not as good.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Feb 13, 2012 at 5:48 AM
    09 Redneck

09 Redneck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ga
    Looked at my paper work and all it said was burt lens, remove and replace. No charge. No TSB number though.

4. Feb 13, 2012 at 7:15 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I'm under the impression there's no TSB out and it's just a known issue that they replace only if people ask about it. The number of people that give a damn are likely small. Plus, not all seem to be affected which I think is quite interesting.

5. May 13, 2012 at 6:41 AM
    rockbug63

rockbug63 Active Member

Member:
    central coast CA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Dbl cab 4x4 SR5 tow pkg.
    Rear leaf and steering column chatter tsb blower mtr replaced(waste of time) 2nd blw. mtr.; new headlights from DRL melt issue new water pump9 leaking0around block) pwr steering rack leaks, right frt. wheel bearing bad.
    Will someone please tell me what magic power a 4157 bulb has in it that Toyota figured out how to control a dual element bulb in my 2 wire socket. If it was the old way of a grounded socket, I'd get it but with an all plastic housing one wire is the hot side and one is the ground. I think that almost all the problems with melted lenses is on the DRL on all the time trucks with only two wires going to the socket. So far the poll shows that three wire trucks DO NOT have the problem. It is a basic design problem that is being ignored by Toyota.

6. May 13, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    iroc409

iroc409 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    The second gens don't use both filaments of the dual-filament bulb in the front. That just happens to be the bulb spec they use, and why there's only two wires.

Products Discussed in

To Top