1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

dual amp kit question

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by thebaker, May 1, 2011.

1. May 1, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    thebaker

thebaker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
    has anyone used the ********* dual amp install kit on their tacoma. I'm going to install a pdx 4.100 and pdx 1.600. I like that the kit is made specifically for the truck and includes everything you need for the install including speaker wire.

Is it worth $189?

what are some other options?

once again sorry about all the newbie questions!!!

2. May 1, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well here is what you need...

A power distribution/fuse block
    About 20 feet of 4ga wire
    About 100 feet of 16ga wire (to be safe)
    About 10 feet of 12ga wire
    Appropriate fuses
    Connectors for the battery attachment for power wire and ground
    A thin piece of wire for remote turn on that will reach to the amps... say 18ga about 20 feet to be safe (its cheap)
    (1) 6 channel RCA about 15-18 feet OR (1) 2 channel and (1) 4 channel RCA.

The RCA should be sheilded and of reasonable quality... the rest of the wore does not matter as ong as it is copper, higher strand counts make for more felxible wire.

No need for fancy colors or twisting etc. Dont waste money here.

3. May 1, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    You could go to Wal-mart or other social experiment type store and pick up a dual amp kit from Scoche for a fair bit cheaper. For pretty stuff that isn't overpriced, you could try Knukonceptz.com. I really like the stuff from there. The parts list given above is accurate and you could piece it together or add onto another single amp kit. You don't really need anything larger than 4awg power and ground cable for your application.

4. May 1, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    thebaker

thebaker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
    ********* said that they have 0 gauge wre coming from the battery back into the cab and then to a distribution block. they said it makes it easier to wire up and if you don;t do t this way you would have to run two 4 gauge wires back from the battery.

is this true?

5. May 1, 2011 at 4:08 PM
    DoubleB

DoubleB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bakersfield CA
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Pro / 06 PreRunner
    I just bought two inexpensive 4 gauge kits from SonicElectronics when I wired up my system. It was cheaper to buy two separate kits than to buy one "dual" amp kit. I think that I ended up paying $60 total for both kits. Buying two also gave me plenty of wire for my front door speakers.

6. May 1, 2011 at 5:34 PM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    The size of the wire is dependent on the current the wire carries. The current will vary depending on how many Amperes the amplifier draws, which in turn will vary according to the impedance of the speakers you intend to use.

That may sound like a lot to calculate, but it's only if you want to understand the science behind it. The easy way is to add up all the amp ratings of the fuses at the amplifiers. Go to http://www.bcae1.com/, and on right side scroll down to #16 and read about wire. Use the size wire, or slightly thicker, rated to carry the full current draw of the combined amp fuses. Make sure to put a main fuse that matches the wire within 18" of the battery and certainly before it goes through any metal hole into the main body (goal is no electrical fires from insulation rubbing off).

Finally, you might also check at places like Tractor Supply, a local welding shop, or a marine store. They frequently sell wire (battery cable and/or welding cable) at much better prices. Then all you have to pick up at Walmart is speaker wire and RCA cables - way cheaper and just as good. In fact, IMO, picking up welding cable at Tractor Supply is even better since the cable is very flexible and generally better quality than any low or mid grade audio products. Might even check Home Depot/Lowes, but I think they probably rape you for welding cable.

7. May 1, 2011 at 5:54 PM
    kristonex

kristonex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland soon to be Denver
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Access 4x4
    Debadged tailgate - Limo tinted windows - Sockmonkey bed decals - Fully custom upgraded stereo 9 speakers w/custom built subwoofer box 1200 watts total power - swapped white and blue LED gauges - integrated backup camera - removed front mud flaps - All interior lights swapped with LEDS
    Buy this right here and that's all you should need. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27661_db-Link-CK4D-CK4DZ.html On top of that you will need appropriate fuses (check what size fuses are in the amps) 1 more rca and that should take care of you for around $50. Its not junk either its a good kit. ********* has good stuff but they are a rip-off if you ask me $ WAY to high for what they offer. And they are trying to sell you almost a $200 wiring kit you don't need.
    That is not true at all either. And you don't need 0 gauge wire for those 2 amps I believe those two have about a max draw of a 100amps combined. with a short run like for a tacoma. You will be fine with 4 gauge for wiring everything , but you definitely don't need any bigger than 2. Distribution blocks just give you a easy way to connect everything they are not a requirement at all.

8. May 1, 2011 at 6:10 PM
    mike686

mike686 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Waldorf
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    See Build Thread
    I think I got mine from stinger but yeah getting two single amp kits is cheaper just get a length of 4ga. Wire as your main before you spilt to two 8ga. For each amp

9. May 2, 2011 at 4:36 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    No, it's not worth $189.

The downside to the scosche, and a lot of budget options, is they now use copper clad aluminum. Skip that.

About the best regular price for all copper is knukonceptz.com, and they offer a dual amp kit in 4 or 0 ga. Look in the manual for max amp draw for each amp, the use bcae1.com (scroll to 16 on the right) and decide what you need. I am guessing 4ga is plenty.

10. May 3, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    mikracer

mikracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB | TRD Sport 4x4
    $189 is way too much and an amp install kit isnt made specifically for a vehicle. You also will not need 100 ft of speaker cable like someone said above. You can either get (2) 4ga wire kits to run 2 amps or even (1) 4ga wire kit and (1) 8ga wire kit and a distribution block. If you go with the latter, you would run the 4ga kit to a distribution block then use the 8ga wire to each amp. I'm not familiar with the amps you mention, but it should say from the manufacturer what the recommended ga wire is.

Products Discussed in

To Top