1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dual Battery Help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by captn.fat.beard, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Jul 3, 2017 at 8:14 AM
    captn.fat.beard

captn.fat.beard [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    NJ & Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    13' DCSB on 33"
    So about 6 months ago I purchased a dual battery setup from Columbia Overland. Came with the IBS dual battery management setup. I am not just getting around to installing it. Columbia overland states the tray was designed around 2 of the Odyssey 35-PC1400 batteries. First, there are no Odyssey dealers anywhere near here, and I hear shitty stories about buying a battery on Amazon. Lastly, a few people told me these batteries are taxing on the vehicles charging system (whatever the hell that means). Anyone recommend a reliable long lasting battery, or should I just sack up and get the Odyssey batteries.

2. Jul 3, 2017 at 8:48 AM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    I bought a NorthStar 31M on one of the group buys on this forum. They seem to have them quite a bit, so another one may be around the corner.

If you can't wait, this dealer shipped all of our batteries out. There were one or two that were damaged in shipping, but most of them were delivered perfectly, including my huge 31M. The packaging was pretty impressive.
    Ask for Mike at www.samooriansupply.com. He handled our group buy and may be able to give you a good price since you are in TW.

Remember, upsizing your batteries or creating a dual setup will always be a tax on your charging system. Consider what you take away, you do have to replace. If you don't have one already equipped consider upgrading to a tow package 130amp alternator or one of the aftermarket big boys.

3. Jul 3, 2017 at 8:50 AM
    captn.fat.beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    NJ & Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    13' DCSB on 33"
    my truck has (had) the tow package. i removed the hitch and went with a pelfreybilt rear bumper and hidden hitch.

4. Jul 3, 2017 at 8:52 AM
    captn.fat.beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    NJ & Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    13' DCSB on 33"
  5. Jul 3, 2017 at 9:03 AM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    Unlikely. You have a dual set up so that you can use your AUX battery for toys and still have the main battery to start right?
    As long as you have a decent enough alternator to charge you between stops, you should be good.
    There are plenty of engineering docs on both Northstar and Odyssey's web site to determine what you need, and how long it takes to get to a full charge.
    They take calls too.

Products Discussed in

To Top