1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dual battery setup

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by nat5nat11, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Jul 1, 2020 at 11:24 PM
    QMEDJoe

QMEDJoe Proverbs 3:5-6

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 black DLX Tacoma,5VZ-FE,5 speed,4x4.
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers in the front and Fox 2.0’s in the rear, Total Chaos UCA’s, Al-lpro expo leafs, K&N cold air intake, TRD headers,Magnaflow catback exhaust,URD short throw shifter, switched out my 60/40 bench seat for some Tacoma Limited seats, Replaced the vinyl shift boot for a leather one, completely soundproofed the cab w/ Frost King. Replaced stock radio with a Pioneer AVH series head unit. Focal component system w/a 10" sub powered by 2 Alpine amps. Weathertech floor mats. Line-X'd the bed. SCS Ray 10’s, Installed an A.R.E. MX series camper shell. All-Pro Apex front bumper w/ All-Pro skid plates all the way back to the Trans. Low Range fuel skid plate.
    Subbed. I have most of the stuff I need. I just need to wrap my head around “how to”

2. Jul 2, 2020 at 8:10 AM
    Abeyancer

Abeyancer Not so secret, secret van guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmie
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 ex cab tacoma 3rz

Check the link in the first post of you haven't already, there's alot of good info buried in there for some how to's

QMEDJoe likes this.
  3. Jul 2, 2020 at 9:16 AM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    03 Access Cab V6 4X4 TRD Off Road
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    Yeah pretty much.

In my case I have a pair of HID lights, fridge, ham radio, on board air, on board water, lights in the camper and I run a cpap machine at night.

If I turn everything on at once it draws about 28amps.
    I never do this but it shows how much every thing draws which would kill my starter battery pretty quick.

Also, the way I have it set up the 2nd battery system isolates the truck’s electrical from everything I’ve added. There’s Toyota’s engineering and manufacturing and there’s me.

I do have the winch powered off the starter battery. My 2nd battery set up are true deep cycle batteries. They don’t do well with a rapid power drain like a winch does. My starter battery is designed for that.

Products Discussed in

To Top