1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dual tip Flowmaster fitment issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by camiliosalomanda, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Dec 23, 2010 at 3:49 PM
    camiliosalomanda

camiliosalomanda [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    McKinney, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Super White
    Grill Craft Hella 500 Bed Aux Wet Okole Wet Okole Arm Rests Weather Tech Magnaflow OS Ram Night Breakers Rocky Mounts Custom IPOD Dock Pioneer AVH P4100 Relentless Sliders AnBCustomFab Bed Rack 3 Inch Icon Lift with leaf pack
    I ordered the dual tip flowmaster american thunder series a while back. Complete bolt on application and installed it myself.

The issue I am having is that it is knocking on my leaf springs on both sides around the hangers. On the passenger (original exhaust output side) it is the bolt for the tip knocking on the leaf spring. On the driver side it is the aftermarket hangar that is knocking on the leaf spring.

Just wondering if anyone else is having or has had this issue. I have tried to correct it by adjust the placement of everything but no luck.

I think my only option now is to have the pipes cut a bit so the areas wont come in contact with the springs.

2. Dec 23, 2010 at 3:56 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back twin exhaust,elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella550's, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Can we get a pic?
    You may have to take it to a muffler shop and have them refab the tails to clear the springs. Shouldn't cost much and well worth it IMO

3. Dec 23, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    camiliosalomanda

Member:
    McKinney, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Super White
    Grill Craft Hella 500 Bed Aux Wet Okole Wet Okole Arm Rests Weather Tech Magnaflow OS Ram Night Breakers Rocky Mounts Custom IPOD Dock Pioneer AVH P4100 Relentless Sliders AnBCustomFab Bed Rack 3 Inch Icon Lift with leaf pack
    I cant get a pic tonight. I will try first thing in the morning.

I believe you are right though. Problem is there arent many places in Dallas that do good custom work. At least from what i know. Everyone here wants 84 inch rims and rectangular chrome tips. ARTARDS.

I think I am going to take it to my friend who works on tractors and chop it up in his garage.

I was thinking of just chopping it into turn downs but i am not sure how much louder that would be in the cab. you know wifey and road trips plus in cab rumble is not good.

4. Dec 23, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back twin exhaust,elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella550's, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Yeah be real careful where ya direct that baritone drone-keep it at the body edges..it'll drive you batty.

This should be an elementary job to any exhaust guy-a mere correction job-but hey-

bad advice but I have been known to bend soft steel tailpipes by hand to get them where I wanted them-if you are pretty strong, and are careful to keep the pipe round, you can clear the pipes with a hunk of wood, a floor jack and a slightly smaller circumference pipe-just shove it in and work it:D

5. Dec 23, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    camiliosalomanda

Member:
    McKinney, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Super White
    Good option. I think I will try to bend it as much as possible to clear the springs, if that doesnt work i was thinking of trimming the hangar about an inch.

I plan on getting a 3 inch lift soon and I wonder if the add a leaf will provide enough arch to keep it away from the hangar.

Thanks for the advice.

To Top