1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dual transfer case questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by MtnRanchtaco, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Mar 17, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    MtnRanchtaco

MtnRanchtaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    CA central sierra foothills
    Vehicle:
    boondockin' wood haulin' fun 4x4
    NWOR tri-Y header & front springs,dynoflow super turbo muffler w/K&N filter
    Hi I have a "98" tacoma 4x4 it has the 2.7 w/ 5speed.What Transfer case do I have ?
    I have access to a "94" 4Runner 4x4 it has the V6 w/5speed.What Transfer case does it have ?
    Its saturday and Marlin is closed so anyone know if the "94"T-case is the same as the "98" T-case ?
    and if Marlin makes a kit for this set up or do I need a 1st gen. Transfer case ?

2. Mar 17, 2012 at 7:57 PM
    valon5150

valon5150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    redding
    Vehicle:
    01 taco turd
    all pro lift, 33s, home made sliders, bumpers, skids

From my understanding you can get the adapter plates and use an older toyota gear driven T case. Then re gear it to 4.7 if you want. Can't use another taco case though...Pretty sure at least.

Your 98 has a chain driven drivers side t case. I THINK the 94 runner is a gear driven passenger side t case. If it is passenger side then it will work.

Edit. 96 is when 4runner went to chain t case. So you should be good. I would get that runners case

Pretty sure the 94's t case is the right one. use it, re gear it lower. get the t case adapter and tranny adapter plates from marlin/inchworm/trail gear and you're ready to put it in...well after shifters, new driveshafts

To Top