1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dual Zone Climate Controls

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by WonShotTRD14, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Mar 14, 2019 at 3:47 PM
    VinDieselJetta

VinDieselJetta Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 4X4
    Think we scared OP away about a dozen posts ago :annoyed:

FWIW OP- I have the dual climate control. It’s looks great and fancy but I could live without it. Heated seats were mandatory for me so the climate control basically came with that. It’s easy to get fixated on a feature you think you absolutely need.

TimC likes this.
  2. Mar 14, 2019 at 3:51 PM
    SgtPuddin

SgtPuddin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road DCLB
    KO2 Ray10 5100’s 884’s Rx350 Retro Headlights
    My philosophy has always been when buying a car to get the most creature comforts that you can because it’s where you spend all your time while driving. If you can’t afford say the premium package then I would suggest saving a little longer. It will cost you much more in the end to add these features later or trade in for another model.

TnTuna and TimC like this.
  3. Mar 14, 2019 at 6:26 PM
    WonShotTRD14

WonShotTRD14 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    NE FL
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB Sport
    Engine cover delete
    i have zero intentions of making it "true" dual zone. i like it for pure aesthetics. this is my fourth tacoma and im a bit tired of looking at the same control configuration. just wondering if the bezel and controls are compatible.

4. Mar 14, 2019 at 6:28 PM
    stealthmode

stealthmode Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 Short N Stubby Bed- MGM
    Front and Rear lifts Tires ECGS bushing Lots of other crap +HP sticker
    I want to buy one of these. I forgot what they re called

TimC likes this.
  5. Mar 14, 2019 at 6:35 PM
    johntoyota

johntoyota "I'm higher than you'll ever be." -Treetop

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Down yonder in TN
    Vehicle:
    16 truck
    Where can I find heated leather seats for $500? I already have heated, but leather would be nice.

6. Mar 14, 2019 at 6:44 PM
    welterbf123

welterbf123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    12voltsolutions.com plug-n-play remote start system. OVTuned OEM Bed lights Underhood and footwell lights Garmin dash-cam Weathertech side vents, bug shield, mud flaps and floor mats Extang Encore tonnau cover OME BP51 Suspension Front & Back / Dakar Leaf Springs Light Racing UCA's XD Holeshot 17" x 9" Wheels Nitto Trail Grapplers 265/70/R17 TRD Pro Grille Raptor Lights iJDMToy 30" LED Hidden Bar Light Toyota Bed Step
    I think there's a guy somewhere on this forum that tried to do this. I'm not sure if he was successful or not...

7. Mar 14, 2019 at 6:54 PM
    TimC

TimC Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    A Prius

VinDieselJetta likes this.
  8. Mar 14, 2019 at 7:39 PM
    RushT

RushT Amateur Everythingist

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB TRDOR Inferno
    Ok, questions here:
    Auto enable headlights.... are you talking auto off-on, or auto highbeam?
    Intermittent Wipers.... I assume you’re not talking rain sensing.

9. Mar 14, 2019 at 7:42 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    SMH. Dude, even just changing out a dash on a modern vehicle is a nightmare, never mind actually modding the HVAC. Last one I did was about seven years ago on a Honda CRV I bought for my daughter. We bought it used and got a good deal because apparently a crazy woman owned it before a took a knife to everything on the dash. I though I got a good deal. One of the harder things I ever did and forget about diagrams as there are more parts to a dash than grains of sand on a beach. Also remember they put the dash in and assembled the rest of the truck around it. Now its backwards.
    Again, I could give a rats ass if the OP wants to put four zone climate control with the controls on the door panel. Bottom line it's going to be expensive and hard and likely will never be the same.
    I just don't want to see something sugar coated that is difficult even for a seasoned wrench. We see that far too often here, somebody thinking something is easy, they get half way through it and can't finish or even worse they do something dangerous because they are ignorant of the risks, like a spring compressor.
    So keep your holier than thou attitude to yourself unless you can add something besides a judgement of other members.

10. Mar 14, 2019 at 8:00 PM
    personalt

personalt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Headlights - Auto on/off... there is a thread on here about adding the DEI 545T unit that has a light sensor and turns headlights on as needed.
    Intermittent Wipers - right.. on the SR the base switch doesnt have the intermintant speed dial. Just have to swap the switch.

11. Mar 14, 2019 at 8:02 PM
    RushT

RushT Amateur Everythingist

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB TRDOR Inferno
    Alrighty, I’ll think about that. I was holding out that perhaps there was an oem solution.

12. Mar 14, 2019 at 8:47 PM
    Vonhetzer

Vonhetzer Well-Known Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Interesting attitudes and perspectives here. Please point out my holier than now attitude and I will gladly apologize. I have only tried to provide my thoughts to the OP after asshole comments have been posted. Seems it’s the norm to full on bash, belittle and downright critisize newcomers or dissenting opinion. I stand by the fact that removing the dash is a project but not a difficult one. I am quickly seeing I don’t want any part of 50 percent of this forum. Good luck and god bless everyone.

13. Mar 14, 2019 at 8:54 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    Here you go man. Good luck in the Jetta forum.

14. Mar 14, 2019 at 9:28 PM
    stealthmode

stealthmode Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 Short N Stubby Bed- MGM
    Front and Rear lifts Tires ECGS bushing Lots of other crap +HP sticker
    No seriously. I had one as a kid. I want to buy one now for mine lol. Driving by age 1

TimC[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Mar 14, 2019 at 9:48 PM
    Sharpish

Sharpish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

You're giving bad advice and encouraging OP to do something stupid.

No offence, but I can picture OP with the dash half removed and a hundred connectors, clips and parts strewn across his garage while he pulls his hair out and has a panic attack over what he's done to his brand new truck.

I wouldn't want the finest toyota tech in the country to pull my dash, it's never the same. Never mind a hobbyist mechanic.

16. Mar 14, 2019 at 10:01 PM
    Boosted_Carrera

Boosted_Carrera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD SPORT, 1996 911 Turbo
    Totally agree. Sometimes it takes brute honesty.

A lot of guys go waaaay over their skill level. Sometimes a simple thing as an oil change can be a challenge. What may be easy for some, is not remotely close to others.
    What the OP is trying to do requires skills than connecting a few clips AND cost. If its THAT important to him , he's better off getting another truck. And ANOTHER important note ...DO YOUR HOMEWORK WHAT YOU WANT IN THE TRUCK.
    I read guys wanting a 4x4 2 weeks after buying truck or I should've gotten a v6.
    There are waaay too many idots on YouTube and internet giving wrong information.
    One kid I remember tried to put in a 2Jz into a Honda because his friends said " guys on internet have done it). Too much money ( mommy and daddy) and too little sense.
    In this case OP, if it's THAT important to you, get another truck. Resale value on Tacomas are pretty good. Hell, the dealer might give you a great deal.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  17. Mar 15, 2019 at 7:18 AM
    Vonhetzer

Vonhetzer Well-Known Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    :notsure: Alright folks, I apparently have nothing positive to add to this. My apologies to all who are offended. My experience level is apparently different than others, which may cause my view of difficulty level to be skewed. Regardless of my thoughts or “bad advice” this place is riddled with skewed opinions and bad attitudes towards people. Misunderstandings could be corrected by reading the whole thread. I don’t recall saying this is a backyard project for the inexperienced... but whatever I’ll admit my faults as a person. @hiPSI :thumbsup:

Oh and @Sharpish $50 won’t cut it. $1000 would be worth my time. $2500 with all parts provided and I’d convert the OPs truck.

18. Mar 15, 2019 at 8:06 AM
    personalt

Member:
    I bought the Classio leather sets covers for $330 - https://vod.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrderDetails?itemid=173200250673&transid=1971359085007&ul_noapp=true
    Then bought heated seat pads and a switch. Those parts were less then $170. The classio's are covers.. There are also Katzkins which are a bit more but would be better for you if your seats are already heated since the Katzkins replace the stock fabric. In my case I added heating elements so I put them on top of the OEM fabric before installing Classio. But if you bought them you would be burying the heater elements under two layers.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    johntoyota[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Mar 15, 2019 at 8:19 AM
    personalt

Member:
    I came in to this thinking it could be just the controls as I noticed that there was an extra wire hanging out in the back of the base controls The best set of info in this thread came from @velogeek with his link to this diagram - https://parts.olathetoyota.com/auto...gas-engine/hvac-cat/blower-motor-and-fan-scat

That two versions of a bunch of part numbers on that page explains why it is hard/expensive. It took us a bit too long to get there, lots of commenting that it is hard but without any supporting info as to why. I think that is where we all went sideways...

With my other car I was able to get a 500 page pdf that was a full parts cataglog. Does Toyota have such a thing? It seem to be hard from the web to otherwise figure out what diagram has the parts you want.

20. Mar 15, 2019 at 8:21 AM
    TnTuna

TnTuna Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Tacoma
    OP your best bet may be to just hold out for someone to create knobs for your trim. We have multiple radio knobs I wouldn’t be surprised if someone comes out with custom climate knobs. Best of luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top