1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DueNorth's Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by DueNorth, Dec 30, 2012.

1. May 13, 2014 at 1:31 PM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
    Question for ya bud: Do you think a 1" body lift would be able to keep you from needing to chop the flares back? I want 35s but don't want to cut the flares at all. I have quite the conundrum on my hands.

2. May 16, 2014 at 6:34 AM
    ShaneTacoma17

ShaneTacoma17 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 Dbl Cap, Red
    Pro comp 3 inch lift with add a leaf.
    Hey man nice to see some more ontario Tacomas made for wheeling message me would like to know more about yours building mine up and have a few questions about making 35s fit and suspension questions might want to change my kit package in the future.

3. May 28, 2014 at 9:09 PM
    DueNorth

DueNorth [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BSP TRD Sport DCSB 6sp
    Doing great Corey! How are you? Just noticed you got rid of your truck! :eek: I'm surprised to say the least but at least you have good taste in cars.

Hey Ben, hows things!? Glad I could help out dude and doubt you'll have any more issues now that pinch weld is actually sealed again. I know I haven't had any problems since. Actually, I would like to build some inner fender covers front and rear so I no longer have to worry about throwing mud and salt up into the fenders etc anymore. Ever considered the same?

Wait a minute, wut? You want 35s now?! Thought you were trading your truck in last I heard... Hard to say if a BL will help keep you away from the flares... Without having never installed a BL I can't really tell ya if it would work or not. My guess is you'll have to cut them still. Just wondering, why ya worried?

Hey Shane, i'll send you a pm, ask any ?'s you may have... There's lots of ppl here with plenty of knowledge to help you do what you would like to.

4. May 28, 2014 at 9:24 PM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Well I was hoping to have some good news to share, but really I should know nothing usually goes as planned. New bumper has been sand blasted and recently painted with POR-15 and last weekend I finally decided to get to mounting it on the truck...
    Well things didn't go smoothly for long when I discovered this while trying to exchange the steel winch line with synthetic....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDdOnC5ps7A&feature=share&list=UUidQIY5C1yOd27GuSbz3F8A

Any ideas what the problem could be? The winch is 2.5 years old and since I really don't have much experience with them I decided to drop it off at a warn service center. I just got a call a couple days ago from them and to my surprise, Warn is going to repair everything under warranty. The rep was really vague with what the problem is and what exactly is being replaced. He said i'll be able to discuss that with the tech when I come pick it up tomorrow so I'm looking forward to finding out. I'm really impressed Warn is standing behind their product and I doubt i'll ever own anything but a warn now just because of that.

So of course in preparation, today I decided to get my new Warn hawse fairlead mounted and ready and low and behold, the fairlead is just to tall and doesn't fit. It's about 3.5" tall and I really need something shorter. :frusty: Took a look around and seen Marlin Crawler's anodized aluminum hawse fairlead that's about $20 cheaper than the warn, lighter, and only 2.7" tall. Perfect! Except they are out of stock. Sigh, another road block. This bumper just seems cursed at every step. :mad:

5. May 29, 2014 at 9:29 AM
    NC15TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    I'm more indecisive than anyone ever! haha I would like to go 35s but not have to cut the flares because I know the day will come when I get a new truck and want to be able to sell mine with the body being unmodified too much. Since I posted that on your thread I pretty much put the idea to rest. I'll go 33s and be happy enough. That saves me money from buying bigger tires and the body lift and most likely having to cut the flares and fenders.

In the Grizzly world I nearly rolled a couple weeks ago! Going down a hill and had to turn to go around a tree and the left front fell off a drop. Sat teetering on the left rear and right front! Butt-puckered to the max! And I did find that the Grizz will fit in my bed! It squeezes pretty good but does make it! Check my gallery for a pic from my ride sunday with my friend. We saw a hell of a logging operation has taken a bunch of trails out!

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  6. May 29, 2014 at 10:13 AM
    FrustrationFabTaco

FrustrationFabTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Lexington, VA
    Vehicle:
    11 Duramax Grandpa Truck Special
    :spy:

Don't forget your odometer will get messed up from bigger tires too, even 33's.

Get you some, I want to see it when I get bumpa. On a side note there is a good chance I'll be near you for the week of the 16th of June. How close are you to cook forest?

7. May 29, 2014 at 10:15 AM
    NC15TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    I'm MAYBE 8 miles from Cook Forest lol

8. May 29, 2014 at 10:25 AM
    FrustrationFabTaco

FrustrationFabTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Lexington, VA
    Vehicle:
    11 Duramax Grandpa Truck Special
    :spy:

:thumbsup: I'll be there for a few days

9. May 29, 2014 at 10:28 AM
    NC15TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    All ya gotta do is tell me what day/evening you want a new bumper haha!

10. Jun 30, 2014 at 1:41 PM
    NC15TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
  11. Jun 30, 2014 at 1:43 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Mike, you still alive man? lol

12. Jun 30, 2014 at 1:55 PM
    Grakyn

Grakyn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift, Leer truck cap, Kenwood D710a ham radio, OTRATTW switches
    Poked through your thread looking for info on your lockers. I see you had them installed and looks like it was quite the roller coaster ride. Did you head south of the border to have that done? Just trying to estimate how much it's going to cost me. Also, most of your issues seem to be regarding install, any reviews on the actual parts used?

13. Jul 1, 2014 at 11:29 AM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Hey guys, I'm still alive n kickin! Been getting lots of work done, not only to the house but on the truck as well. :D

Finally, over year and half later I got the new ATO bumper mounted! Along with a pretty much a new M8000 (most internals were replaced under warranty) and LowRange Offroad aluminum hawse fairlead, i also respooled the winch with a Warn Spydura synthetic rope (3/8" x 80'). Piaa 510's are installed but still need to finish the wiring. Only thing left to install is the 22" led light bar from OKledlightbars.com. Should have it all wrapped up this week but all in all, I couldn't be happier. This bumper is stout and well built by Kevin. I'm quite pleased with how well it turned out and fitment was pretty much spot on. How about I let the pictures speak for themselves...

I should add, bumper has been painted with POR-15 with a krylon satin black top coat. (need a top coat since por15 fades in direct sunlight) I can't wait to see how long term effectiveness of this paint vs powdercoating helps make it last while living in the salt belt during 5 months of winter.

D5DF7240-2A74-4787-B2D3-FF642CA8E898_zps_253059030b33c8f8dd746eec4cddf4b5c805c8e2.jpg

BDEC75F1-4A10-4F94-A726-BC45E2B2A602_zps_fab52a499abe1f6884629f2f3d86b5c36da5bcf0.jpg

3B9B3A59-B083-4E85-AAB4-6A37D3FDB236_zps_05cd3d8500ac481581db122b6dfcd09ee089083e.jpg

FrustrationFabTaco likes this.
  14. Jul 1, 2014 at 11:31 AM
    Monster Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Looking good Mike!

15. Jul 1, 2014 at 11:31 AM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    YESSSS Truck looks freaking amazing. :thumbsup: glad to know you're still alive haha!

16. Jul 1, 2014 at 11:35 AM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    It was a bit of roller coaster ride but only afterwards when I got home and really inspected everything. I drove down to NC and had ECGS (east coast gear supply)to have them install the gears and lockers. Although there was quite a few issues afterwards Chase did make it up to me after speaking with him.

So far, two years later the lockers have worked perfectly, never had a single issue with them whatsoever. I couldn't be happier with regearing to 4.56's as well. For 35's it's spot on for driving around town, but offroad in Low and she really crawls. Rest assured with anything labelled ARB you are going to be getting a quality product.

17. Jul 1, 2014 at 11:37 AM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:

Couldn't agree more guys! Might be wheeling this coming weekend if the stars align, so stay tuned for some trail pics and vids. I'll be sure to be around a little more often. :p

18. Jul 1, 2014 at 11:39 AM
    Monster Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Noice. When you headed down to PA? haha

19. Jul 1, 2014 at 11:47 AM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Damn, what a great deal! I still have about a 2 month wait till I'm in a new house and be buying another toy BUT, I finally made it out to play with my buddies at a local ATV park. My friend had an 07 Yamaha Kodiak 450 lifted 3" via bracket, rad relocated and snorkelled, Rolling on 28" outlaw1's that he let me borrow. This thing was a beast and these guys like to go deep. ( a good indication of what i'll be playing in). Haven't had that much fun in ages dude and I'm definitely hooked. Honeslty tho, I'm really considering the new Can Am XMR800 coming out this fall. I have a feeling i'll be playing in quite a bit of mud, probably more so than trail and after seeing the power of a brute force (and feeling the lack there of with a Kodiak, I know I know, it is only a 450) but the way my buddy was launching is BF, I think i'll like all the power I can get :D We'll see how it works out tho. Till then, here's some vids of the holes my buddies were playing in and some gopro footage of me playing around. Still waiting to get a hold of the vids my buddy took of me doing water wheelies and going in rack deep swamp but i'll post them within the week.

http://youtu.be/ymqQ38ZtOZg

http://youtu.be/hWGKxhsyuC0

http://youtu.be/cmpl_F39Xus

20. Jul 1, 2014 at 11:50 AM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:

If a run comes up at RC this fall, I'm going to try my best to make it! Been dying to run those trails sometime, and SOON!

Products Discussed in

To Top