1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Duh Stories

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KeithB, Mar 7, 2012.

1. May 16, 2017 at 6:50 AM
    KeithB

KeithB [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    So this thread has been dead for a while but I have another duh story:

Last weekend I noticed my trailer running lights were not working. I had blinkers and brake lights but no running lights. Tested it out on another vehicle and no problem so it has to be an issue with my truck and not the trailer. I relocated my trailer wire receptacle to the rear bumper instead of under it last fall and everything worked after I first moved it but figured I must have knocked something loose that just worked its way looser over the winter. I get out my multimeter and start tracing back. While I'm testing, I notice my license plate lights are also out. So logically, since they only come on with the running lights, I figure it must be related. I drop the spare tire for more access and start snipping wire ties and peeling electrical tape off of wire loom to find the point where the wire splits to the trailer receptacle and the license plate lights. 45 minutes into this it occurs to me to check the fuses. The towing fuse is under the hood (#3 which is 30 amp). I have spare fuses but none as tiny as this one. I find another 30 amp fuse in the brake controller spot and swap them since I don't have a brake controller. Ta-da, trailer running lights now work again but license plate lights are still out. Turns out the bulbs were just burnt out.

What are the chances that both license plate bulbs would be burned out at the same time my trailer running lights blow a fuse. Seemed like they were related but they weren't. So I taped up the wire loom and zip tied everything back in place and returned the spare tire to it's spot up under the bed. Next time I will be sure to check fuses and bulbs first. Would have been so simple and quick but instead took me an hour and half contorting myself up under the rear bumper scrapping knuckles. Even if it wasn't a fuse or a bulb, it would have been worth it to check that first anyway.

2. May 16, 2017 at 7:41 AM
    knottyrope

knottyrope Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knotty
    Bahstun
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco CCLB 4x4 SR5 4.0
    Pads, rotors, ujoints, 5900K Super White Xenon HID Halogen Bulb Fog Light
    I had an odd rattle in the ex's sienna, only on hard bumps and it was more like a ringing noise than a rattle.
    only noticed with passenger window open
    after 2 years I replaced the brakes again and found a socket in the caliper that I left in it from the last time compressing the caliper

friend had a clunky noise only on very hard bumps with his new car, after many dealer visits he finally gave up. Then the auto antennae motor died years later and we had to pull the fender off to access it and that's when we found a wrench buried in the fender well that must have been left behind at the factory

3. May 16, 2017 at 3:23 PM
    topcathr

topcathr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 limited
    had shifter in neutral and wondered why it wouldn't start

Products Discussed in

To Top