1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DUI - How strict are you?

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by LilTuffGirl, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Nov 3, 2011 at 9:52 PM
    LilTuffGirl

LilTuffGirl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikki
    WV
    3" rough country lift leather
    Just wanting to see how others are about DUIs. They are my pet peeve and i'm not even an LEO yet.
    I've been fire/ems/dispatch so i've seen the bad side of 'em. I have low tolerance for it. Now i'm not saying i'll be one of those who watches those leave the bar - i'm saying those who have acted up or can't keep their vehicle in their lane. No cutting breaks.

I ask because at the moment i'm a dispatcher and my boyfriend is a deputy. Just got a call that these guys got into an argument at a local Applebees. Drunk guys started hollering at dudes girlfriend and it was on. Turned into road rage on both parties sides.. My caller didn't sound intoxicated and was insanely polite. I could hear the people in the other car screaming at them - could hear the fear in the callers voice. Hard to get an officer to them because they both keep turning around playing cat and mouse.
    City cop gets the other vehicle on the interstate.. he blows right at legal limit... they just have him call someone to get his truck and take him home. WTF?
    I simply as the b/f why so easy on him. He has already had a reckless ticket on file - was swerving at the other vehicle and was obviously causing trouble.. his answer "I didn't see any of it and i'm tired of things always being thrown out because I didn't see it." Uhm didn't he blow .08? Didn't you see that?
    Yea now he's mad at me. :rolleyes:

Different views I guess... He didn't hear what I heard..

Just curios if i'm being too anal about DUIs?

2. Nov 3, 2011 at 9:59 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    no your not. somebody could slip up once and kill a car full of kids. there is no such thing as somebody bein too strict about a dui

3. Nov 3, 2011 at 10:01 PM
    WizzyTRDTXPRO

WizzyTRDTXPRO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    TRD TX PRO 4x4
    X2

Even when I say go to the bar I always have a designated driver or will have a drink early and then start drinking pop for the rest of the night.

4. Nov 3, 2011 at 10:04 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    lol pop. sorry i dont hear that very often down here. i usually walk to the bar or i call a cab. spendin 30 bucks to make sure i make it home without hurting myself or anybody else is more than worth it in my opinion

5. Nov 3, 2011 at 10:08 PM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    NJ/MN
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    agreed ^^ driving a little while after a beer or 2 depending on the person seems okay.. 3 or more crosses the line

6. Nov 3, 2011 at 10:10 PM
    LilTuffGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikki
    WV
    They say pop here and I just can't do it.. Soda...

I've been out drinking with all of them before and they normally sit around for about an hour before leaving. I normally still drive though since I don't hardly ever drink (got drunk for the first time and last time a few weeks ago)

7. Nov 3, 2011 at 10:13 PM
    LilTuffGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikki
    WV
    Depends on the person... Some can handle Alch MUCH better than others. I bet I could have 5 beers and be just fine! (other than having to pee... a lot....)
    I've taken people out of the "drunk house" because they were 4x the legal limit and they wont accept them there.. they have to go to the ER.. yea well they can walk just normal to the ambulance and hardly slur a word. :eek:

Then some try to hang all over me and hit on me. :rolleyes: too bad they can handle it enough they aren't blacked out... And one guy who kept begging me to hug him.. once we were at the ER he started screaming "NO SHE HAS TO HUG ME FIRST!" :eek: I told him I don't give hugs... from then on all the damn nurses there kept asking for hugs lol

8. Nov 3, 2011 at 10:13 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    i drink beer quite alot. thats why i have to go to the gym twice a day to keep my cut. but honestly beer tastes just as good sittin at home as it does in a bar any where, plus its a whole lot cheaper

9. Nov 3, 2011 at 10:15 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 5Spd Xtra Cab V6
    265/75/16 BFG A/T's, OME 881's, Wheelers 5 leaf pack, 5100's, Home Made Sliders
    the laws here are nowhere near strict enough for drunk driving. It is really not that hard to find a ride or just don't drink if you have no ride. People are just so stupid, especially in this state.

10. Nov 3, 2011 at 10:15 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    on an average weekend i drink between a 12 pack and a 18 pack a day. depending on what im doin. i know it sounds like im an alcoholic but its all in moderation and I can quit at any given time. (believe me i have before just to prove my point) but i dont see any harm in it if im at home and im cuttin grass or workin on a truck or somethin.:D

11. Nov 3, 2011 at 10:15 PM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    NJ/MN
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    haha good point!!!!

12. Nov 3, 2011 at 10:16 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    honestly in my case its not near worth it. i have a class A comercial license. and in mississippi the legal limit for a class A license whether your in a rig or a personal vehicle is .02. which is about a beer.

13. Nov 3, 2011 at 10:16 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    umm, your liver? Alcohol is not good for the body in general.

14. Nov 3, 2011 at 10:17 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    there should be a thread called

"Murder - How strict are you?"

15. Nov 3, 2011 at 10:20 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    yea my liver hates me, between beer and energy drinks. it helps alot that i drink over a gallon of water a day.

16. Nov 3, 2011 at 10:22 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    That's not going to offset the alcohol at all dude. I know It's your life and everything but that is a lot of alcohol.

17. Nov 3, 2011 at 10:24 PM
    LilTuffGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikki
    WV
    We had a woman here who was I think drunk? the first time.. She struck and killed a man on a motorcycle...
    maybe a month later (I was working again..) She hit a car head on while messed up on pills. Caused serious injuries...

WHY was she driving?? The first incident hadn't been to court yet. "innocent until proven guilty". So it's not even a 2nd offense DUI because she hadn't been charged with the first one yet. That's one person I wouldn't mind to hit a tree and die. What kind of person could even drive so soon after KILLING someone let alone drive screwed up again?!

I am a VERY understanding person.. just I fail to understand the driving while obviously not in the right state of mind!
    Good god man I hated just sitting at the bar feeling drunk. I knew what I was doing but didn't feel like myself. Apparently i'm a control freak. :rolleyes:

18. Nov 3, 2011 at 10:25 PM
    ftttu

ftttu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    Texas Desert
    Vehicle:
    No-mod Tacoma
    I'm strict on DWI. What keeps some officers from being so strict and just letting them go after having them "woken up" or having a family member come pick them up is the extra effort for a relatively low level offense. There is extra paperwork and a lot of articulation which some officers don't want to mess with. Also, having to find an intoxilyzer operator and the extra amount of time it takes for one of the arrests is another thing to have to worry about if you are short on officers or just too busy on calls for service. Remember, most DWI drivers make it to their destination with no problems.

19. Nov 3, 2011 at 10:26 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    yup I think there was a guy in NM with like 8 DUI's and still driving. That dude should be locked up for life IMO.

20. Nov 3, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    ftttu

ftttu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    Texas Desert
    Vehicle:
    No-mod Tacoma
    Also, because elected officials get caught for this offense on a regular basis, enforcement and punishment will always be relatively low.

To Top