1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DUI - How strict are you?

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by LilTuffGirl, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Dec 2, 2012 at 9:46 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    It's the old 'Nature vs Nurture' argument, there are causes from both i believe.

2. Dec 3, 2012 at 6:49 AM
    LilTuffGirl

LilTuffGirl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikki
    WV
    3" rough country lift leather
    I'm sorry but I don't care if you think you can't stop drinking or not. I mean I do but when it comes to you being drunk and getting into a vehicle to drive - I don't care your ass belongs in jail.

There are exceptions... I haven't met any yet though...
    Sadly in my state your first DUI is a cash cow for the county. Here your first DUI will be dropped if you pay a fine and pay for the blow and go. So people will get to first offense DUIs before they get a second offense. It really sucks.

I can also write a DUI through the city. So it's a cath and release program lol I'm not too sure how hard the city is on people? I've never asked. That way they get the punishment but can still get to work the next day or back to their kid they left at home so they can go out and be stupid. Most of the time these are people you pull over for something stupid like a headlight out and then smell the alch on them. Otherwise they were driving ok (their car gets towed in this case as well)

Those who are pulled over because you can tell without a doubt are intoxicated go to jail. Then they can detox and wake up thinking they've fucked up.

Yesterday morning I was leaving for work at 5:30am. I stopped at the end of my road at the stop sign and took a bit longer to pull off because I saw headlights coming and it looked odd..... They looked odd because the idiot was driving down the wrong side of the road. He turned into the subdivision across from me and about plowed into a brick mailbox thing.
    Glad I didn't pull out or he would have hit me head on... God knows what I would have done if I was able to get out of the car afterwards....

(I wasn't in my city and I'm on FTO still. I couldn't do anything. Was hoping his house was somewhere in there)

3. Dec 3, 2012 at 7:00 AM
    Geode

Geode Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    09 4WD TRD
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4. Dec 3, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    engineer406

engineer406 Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Black 2013 SR5 double cab LB
    Audio system upgrade.
    Aww dang! Those two made a great couple! :( haha
    How's Johnny law on the sport bikes out there? Here in Washington state, they love to profile and write reckless'. BUT...Harley's can do 90 down the freeway...

5. Dec 3, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    LilTuffGirl

LilTuffGirl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikki
    WV
    3" rough country lift leather
    My department tend to leave bikes alone in general.
    Most around this area will pull whatever. You break the law you get pulled over.
    Although in the county I was a dispatcher for it seemed they mostly got Harley's.
    I mean I've been pulled over a few times in that county on my bikes as well lol not in a few years though.

I was going way too fast on a back road and was caught by my now fav sgt. If the other dispatcher didn't tell him I was the new dispatcher he would have towed my bike :( so he says anyways...

6. Dec 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    engineer406

engineer406 Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Black 2013 SR5 double cab LB
    Audio system upgrade.
    A police officer speeding?? :O Gasp! hahaha Well that's good your department sounds like they focus on the more important tasks at hand. I'm always on the east coast because of family in Gloucester, VA. If it were'nt for the humidity, I'm possibly move there haha.

7. Dec 3, 2012 at 12:41 PM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    I hope it is ok that I quoted that in my sig?!?! Let me know if you don't approve.

8. Dec 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Kenwood CD, MTX/Jensen amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    You may not expect this, but I agree with you. Even a 1st offense should be a year minimum in jail..in addition to loss of license and such.

I say that for a few reasons. First, since getting sober I have met very few people with just one DUI..either none or more than one.

I have a family member who got their 3rd DUI last year..this person is in their mid 50's mind you..and had the balls to say they consider themselves a victim "because if I didn't always have to drive it wouldn't have happened". I then reminded them that they had been alone every time they got caught..kind of blew a hole in that theory.

To me it's bad enough I got caught once..totally stupid. To keep doing it just shows me that someone didn't learn anything from the fines, the classes, the inconvenience to others..

9. Dec 4, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    12DblCab

12DblCab I don't know what to write here

Member:
    South
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport "Pyrite Mica"
    A year minimum in jail? The jails would be overflowing. Maybe on 2nd offense. Alot of people learn their lesson after the first one, and everyone makes mistakes. I hang out with a guy that toured the country in a famous band, living the rock star life, and it all ended when he got a DUI. Now he is completely sober, working at a boring job, and leading worship music at church on Sundays. Not sure he deserved a year in jail. :)

10. Dec 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    Teniente

Teniente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City, NV/Ensenada, Baja California, MX
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    ZERO tolerance for DUI's, no matter who they are or who they say they know. HBD and under the limit, call a cab or get a friend to drive.

You can't afford (career wise and morally) to let a DUI go or put them in a cab.....it will bite you later.

11. Dec 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Kenwood CD, MTX/Jensen amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I'll agree with you in most part, but in my personal experience every one who learns the first time there are more than one who don't..and are worse.

If I must choose, I'd prefer my jails filled versus my graveyards.

12. Dec 27, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    Bfry86

Bfry86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Floyds Knobs, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 DCLB TRD Sport 4X4
    10 gauge steel Skid Plate PC'd "Raptor" Satoshi grill
    Well, I'm glad I missed the shit storm earlier this month. I need not explain my profession to you or anyone on this forum but thanks for trying to take a dig at it. Let me just say that I save lives each and every day I'm at work.

I find it quite comical that you spent a good amount of time correcting the grammer from an off hand post that was typed in 30 seconds. Given your logic, I should paste up all of the threatening PM's I have received and pick away....

For those that I offended with the degree comment, I sincerely apologize.
    It was ignorant, on my part, to make such a broad comment. Especially when it was intended for those in my area and not a single person in this community. We have seen a spike in abuse from law enforcement towards our patients and it remains a sticky issue around here.

While, the comment I made earlier this month was not needed, it was not intended for any of you. It was simply an opinion on a forum... It did not warrant for all of the threatening PM's and hate mail.

13. Dec 27, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    if you are getting threatening pm, you can report those to the Tacoma world staff.

14. Jan 2, 2013 at 2:17 AM
    Meatloaf

Meatloaf Member

Member:
    First Name:
    B
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Offroad double cab
    TRD offroad and Tow package..That's it!
    Zero tolerance. I get them all the time. Lots of local cops have gotten hit by drunks on the road. You may feel fine to drive but the eyes don't lie.

CALL A CAB!

To Top