1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

dumbfounded after install

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by danteisme, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Aug 6, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    danteisme

danteisme [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    so i decided to run my wires for my rear speakers im gonna install in my reg cab. after i ran the wires, i decided i may as well hook up my boss powered shallow sub too. ran the power wire, grounded it, for the rcas (still have my stock headunit) i ran the high pass setup off the wires i just ran for the rear speakers, and for the remote turn on, i connected it to the positive wire off teh newly ran wires for the rear speaker. i figured this good right? the remote turn only needs to get a signla to turn the unit on and off i thought. its been about 5 years since i've messed with car audio.

anyway..so i hook it all up, turn on the radio, and just asi expected...nothing came from the sub. the powered on light didnt light up. so i grabbed my multitester and tested for power. heres the werid part. in my past audio experience i either got 12.something +/- when i got to something with power, or i got 0.00 when i had a problem. remote turn on to ground i got 2.83 volts, 12v power to the ground, i got 4.3 volts. im still not sure how thats possible. 12v power went from the battery, to my inline fuse, right to the amp. the ground, i used a hole in the little metal shelf on the rear wall. i measure my volts at the battery, and i got 13.4 something or other. with the weird results i got, what could that mean? ive never gotten a volt reading so low with audio, its always been 12.something or 0.

any ideas?

2. Aug 6, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    itsmyturn

itsmyturn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab TRD sport
    afe Pro-Dry S dropin, Readylift leveling kit, TRD skid plate, Alpine CDA-9887, 6K D2S HID
    where are you measuring your ground point from. if its the same as your amp ground, it sounds like you need a new ground or sand the paint off of the metal your ground is attached to.

3. Aug 6, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    I would measure voltage to and from the fuse holder as well.

4. Aug 6, 2010 at 10:20 PM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    i'll try both in the morning. if it was barely grounding, would it be throwing off the amounts i'm getting on my voltmeter?

5. Aug 8, 2010 at 4:20 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    Don't run your remote wire from your speaker wires. Run it from your acc wire

6. Aug 8, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    i was looking at a wire chart, is it going to be the gray wire on the larger plug?

7. Aug 9, 2010 at 6:48 AM
    hookedontronics

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    yes, grey on the larger plug

Radio 12v blue/yellow + radio harness
    Radio Ground brown - radio harness
    Radio Ignition gray + radio harness
    Radio Illumination green + radio harness
    Factory Amp Turn-on N/A
    Power Antenna N/A
    LF Speaker +/- pink - purple +,- radio harness or amplifier
    Notes: If equipped, the amplifier is on the passenger side rear cabin wall.
    RF Speaker +/- lt. green - blue +,- radio harness or amplifier
    LR Speaker +/- black - yellow +,- radio harness or amplifier
    RR Speaker +/- red - white +,- radio harness or amplifier

8. Aug 9, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    i hooked it up to the correct wire, should this thing be powering up as soon as i start my truck? i thought it would only turn on if the radio was on.

on a side note, this boss 10in amplified unit blows bigtime....

9. Aug 9, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    hookedontronics

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    It's hooked up to your ignition wire, so when your key is truned to acc, it will be on. The radio does not need to be on.

10. Aug 9, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    oh oh oh, gotcha. thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top