1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dust getting past AFE Pro Dry S

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by toyota4wd, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Oct 25, 2016 at 8:55 AM
    toyota4wd

toyota4wd [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    OME 887s Dakar Leafs, SPC UCAs, Spidertrax wheel spacers, Kenwood touchscreen, diff breather mod, Magnaflow 22in. muffler, AFE Pro dry S air filter, secondary charcoal filter delete. Soon to come Warn M8000 winch on a a Westin winch trey, full retros with demon eyes
    Around 2 months ago I put a drop in Afe filter in my 2.7 tacoma, also removed the charcoal filter. The gas milage and little extra power has been really nice but I just went to check it and there is a fine layer of dust on the other side... nothing terrible but enough to worry me. The plastic was clean when I swapped filters. Truck has 103k on it and I drive around 5 miles of gravel every day. Considering just going back to OEM.

2. Oct 25, 2016 at 11:22 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Put the charcoal filter back

toyota4wd[OP] likes this.
  3. Oct 25, 2016 at 11:24 AM
    Cmurder

Cmurder 2011 TX TRD Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    B.C.
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX TRD Offroad
    nothing cool
    Not exactly the same story but I replaced my OEM filter with a K&N. Lost mpg. Replaced it back with OEM and now getting over 19mpg.
    I never felt much HP difference and my truck is pretty stock.

4. Oct 25, 2016 at 11:30 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    It's good to be worried.

Doesn't it seem reasonable that if a filter that offered great filtration AND mpg AND power existed, that the OE would have used it from the get-go?

I mean they struggle to squeeze every oz from MPG ratings to comply with the feds as it is. An off the shelf drop in solution would be a no brainer wouldn't it?

Therefore, barring silly conspiracy tin-foil-hat theories, the OE filter, or it's equivalent, works best for all the purposes it's supposed to serve. Which will suit 99.9% of Tacoma uses.

5. Oct 25, 2016 at 11:32 AM
    inwood customs

inwood customs Roaming potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    K&n, flowmaster, plastidip, chipped, hids, daves
    Just cuz my hat is shinier than yours doesnt make me semi right!

Or semi left for that matter.

And i agree whole fartedly, too many gimmicks, and even a dyno has variations of a few hp that manufacturers work into their favor.

Now im off to throw some wd41 on my hat.

6. Oct 25, 2016 at 6:53 PM
    MrCrowntown

MrCrowntown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alyn
    Ky
    Vehicle:
    06 Extended cab Prerunner 2.7
    Dirt King Mid travel with King 2.5 coilovers, Baja Kits chase SUA with 14in fox smoothies under custom hangars.
    I have the same filter, and have the same issue. I think a bit of weatherstripping on the filter will allow it to fill up the space between the two halves of the airbox. Seems to be a thinner 'edge' than the OEM filters have.

I will also be taking the motor apart here in the next few months and I will report of how much mud is in my engine after the last 50k miles with this filter hahaha

7. Oct 26, 2016 at 8:06 AM
    toyota4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    OME 887s Dakar Leafs, SPC UCAs, Spidertrax wheel spacers, Kenwood touchscreen, diff breather mod, Magnaflow 22in. muffler, AFE Pro dry S air filter, secondary charcoal filter delete. Soon to come Warn M8000 winch on a a Westin winch trey, full retros with demon eyes
    Running a 4.0 or 2.7? Why are you tearing it apart?

8. Oct 26, 2016 at 8:10 AM
    MrCrowntown

MrCrowntown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alyn
    Ky
    Vehicle:
    06 Extended cab Prerunner 2.7
    Dirt King Mid travel with King 2.5 coilovers, Baja Kits chase SUA with 14in fox smoothies under custom hangars.
    2.7l

I'm rebuilding a spare block, and setting it up for boost. I'll be pulling my motor thats in my truck now for the same treatment so I'll get to see ehat damage, if any has been done

9. Oct 26, 2016 at 8:12 AM
    JadedTaco

JadedTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    IA
    Vehicle:
    15 OR SSM (MT)
    Lift, tires, mats, blah, blah, blah...
    Guess I'll go check mine. Thanks for the heads up.

Damn. Do you have to ruin EVERYTHING for me?? lol jk

10. Oct 26, 2016 at 8:19 AM
    toyota4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Ill definitely look forward to hearing what you find. Hopefully good things haha.

11. Oct 26, 2016 at 8:20 AM
    toyota4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Let us know if dust is getting past yours too.. its unfortunate but I think ill be going back to the big pillow of an OEM filter

12. Oct 26, 2016 at 9:09 AM
    JadedTaco

JadedTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    IA
    Vehicle:
    15 OR SSM (MT)
    Lift, tires, mats, blah, blah, blah...
    Will do.

If I see any dust I'm going to replace my AFE with an OEM and recheck in a few months to see what I find.

Products Discussed in

To Top