1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DV8 Roof Rack on 2021 Tacoma TRD Sport...crazy no instructions

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by HikingMan, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Feb 26, 2021 at 8:31 AM
    HikingMan

HikingMan [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    G.
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport, Silver
    Leveling kit-2", PowerStop Z36 Truck and Tow brake upgrades all around, tonneau cover, 275/75/R17 Destination X/T tires, front receiver, winch electrical supply to rear and front, winch on tray mount (movable to front or rear receiver), Lock'er Down console pistol box. Not finished.
    First posting on this forum...hope I do this correctly.

I figured it out, but instructions would have been appropriate. The Extreme Terrain installation video was extremely (pun intended) helpful.

https://youtu.be/kTHKuPmS2Yc

I had several leftover parts (1st pic with parts on work bench). I think some relate to a light bar (possibly), but again, no instructions, part list, or diagram. I laid out all parts and did an inventory and all bolts, washers, lock washers matched up to what I surmised they belonged to. I did not need to use any of the elongated oval spacers. Hint, all bolts attach with a washer and lock washer.

The great thing about this mod is that it uses and matches up perfectly with the manufactured threaded bolt holes under the roof gutter trim. You have to remove the taped and painted cover to the manufactured bolt holes in 4 places. This rack is solid atop your Tacoma roof!

I did this project alone. I assembled the rack on my garage floor and then mounted it, sliding it across my roof using 2 rag towels to prevent scratching the roof. Reasoning: I used silicone in all the factory bolt holes, which has a curing time that starts when applied. I was afraid that I would run into a problem and if I installed this is in a piece by piece fashion and then had a problem and had to run out and fetch a screw/part and reinstall the side rails I would foul the curing silicone.

One thing that really helped me was using a punch to align the bolt hole (see pic). I placed the punch in hole #1 which aligned the hole the adjacent hole #2 perfectly and made it much easier to assemble (there are 16 opportunities to be frustrated).

I think that there was one manufacturing error with my set. It looks like the #2 crossmember (next after the front crossmember) was cut while upside down. When I tried to install it oriented as the other crossmembers the angle at the ends (at the side rail) were slanted opposite of the angle of the side rail (see pic). I turned the #2 crossmember upside down and then the angles matched up nicely (see pic, and note that bottom channels are now facing upward).

I drilled a new drain hole (because the manufacture drain hole was now on top) and put a squirt of silicone in the now obsolete (manufactured) drain hole. Pic #5 shows a hole straight through.

I sized and cut the OME front gutter trim and replaced it back into the curved front gutters for esthetics (see pic #6). Did the same on the rear.

Based on some YouTube videos I purchased a tap set in case I had some manufactured bolt holes that were not properly threaded, but I ended up not needing to do that.

I also placed some stiff rubber blocks on either side of the shark fin antenna just for insurance that the rear crossmember would not press down/vibrate on it.

The crossmember #4 almost touches the roof peak (just rear of the center pillar). I will have to be imaginative when trying to attach my Yakima roof cargo box.

I like the low profile, which also reduces wind noise.

Good luck with your installation.

DV8 roof rack left over parts.jpg
    DV8 roof rack with punch alignment.jpg
    DV8 roof rack cross member nbr 2 right side up.jpg
    DV8 roof rack cross member nbr 2 upside down.jpg
    DV8 roof rack drain hole.jpg
    DV8 roof rack with gutter trim replaced.jpg
    voila, complete.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    AmateurTaco1313 likes this.
  2. May 5, 2021 at 12:51 PM
    PDXTaco1975

PDXTaco1975 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Hi!
    I just installed the DV8 rack on our 2019.
    The #4 cross beam is resting on the roof as well. Like literally right on it.
    I’m also experiencing some vibration against the roof from #4 at highway speeds.
    I was planing to find or fabricate some spacers to raise the rack 5mm to provide some clearance.
    Did you space your rack up at all?

BTW, DV8 was no help when I reached out to them via email.

3. Jul 15, 2021 at 1:01 PM
    lvnlrg

lvnlrg New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the thread -

I just found one of these on craigslist for 240$ seemed like a good deal to pick up. Had to order a bolt kit from DV8 as there were a few missing screws. Are you still currently having issues with these racks? they look great but dont want to cause any unnecessary issues to a truck

Also in your picture the tracks are not showing on the bars in the back . Do they not have tracks for hardware to mount stuff?

4. Jul 15, 2021 at 1:09 PM
    PDXTaco1975

PDXTaco1975 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    lvnlrg - All of the bars have tracks; for some reason, the bars in HikingMan's [OP] photos are upside down.
    I've added a 1/4" spacer below the rack feet, but I still get vibration at highway speed where the crossbar vibrates on the cab roof. I just picked up some 3/8" steel spacers from my local hardware store that I plan on installing soon. My hope is that the 3/8" spacer gives me enough clearance to allow for wind vibration and keep the bars from hitting the roof of the cab.

5. Jul 15, 2021 at 1:28 PM
    lvnlrg

lvnlrg New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the fast response - will let you know how it comes out when done

PDXTaco1975 likes this.
  6. Jul 15, 2021 at 2:54 PM
    ahardwicke

ahardwicke Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Voodoo 6MT
    All of the DV8 stuff I've bought for jeeps is garbage. I imagine it's the same for their Taco stuff.

7. Sep 15, 2021 at 3:51 PM
    Yoda707

Yoda707 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green Tacoma Trail Edition
    HikingMan, I had pretty much the exact same experience while installing my DV8.
    Did spacers offer more clearance in the back?
    I was thinking of rubber grommets.
    Curious to see what your solution was.

8. Sep 15, 2021 at 4:06 PM
    PDXTaco1975

PDXTaco1975 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    The 3/8" steel spacers worked amazingly well. 99% of the wind-caused roof vibrations were eliminated. I haven't had too much weight up top yet, so won't know if heavier loads will cause the bars to contact the roof again.

JJTaco916 and Yoda707[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Sep 16, 2021 at 2:37 PM
    Yoda707

Yoda707 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green Tacoma Trail Edition
    Did you get some longer mounting bolts?

JJTaco916 likes this.
  10. Sep 16, 2021 at 2:43 PM
    Wixo

Wixo Platinum+ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 SR5 Tundra CM 5.7L Barcelona Red
    Tint, LED interior
    Pricey garbage at that. I bought the FullCum package by Hooke Road for my '21 tacoma and everything came out to about $800. Head and Back shot rack. @ALI3N_123 and I were installing it the other day and a lot of pieces were mildly out of speck. They required a little hammering to line up, but it all worked out. Biggest issue was Ming Lee not packing enough flat washers and too many crush washers so we had to improvise. Besides a few spots where the PC came off (rattle can fixed it right away) and some minor hammering (minor amounts of hammering) its a pretty damn good set of racks. Id definitely go with these over a Prinsu or whatever else is out there now.

11. Nov 11, 2021 at 2:10 PM
    JJTaco916

JJTaco916 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Just finished remounting this rack with spacers mentioned by another user, and yes, to answer your question, I did buy longer bolts. Here is what I used and the final result. I am very satisfied with the heavy-duty spacers and the bolts that I can use a ratchet on rather than an Allen key. Spacers were freekin' $2.69 each (at another hardware store), and the bolts, since they were metric, were only sold individually as well.

Raised everything 1/2". Could have gone with 1/4" but the hardware store did not have 8, so I went up to 1/2". Happy with it. Moved the wind deflector from the highest position to the lowest which brought it back down to the level it was before the lift. I'll add more silicone around the bolt heads later. The 3rd bar that was resting on the cab is no longer doing so, and any cargo I mount up there will be distributed across the other bars, so it's unlikely to be any chance of sagging back down to damage my paint.

Hope this helps anyone with this issue.

SPACER.jpgSPACER.jpgBOLT.jpg1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top