1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DVI-HDMI to LCDTV, ...no audio

Discussion in 'Technology' started by wileyC, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Feb 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    wileyC

wileyC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    i doubt it because, basically i'm already doing that, ..just w/ separate cables.. my HDMI cable goes into the 1st HDMI input on the TV, ...and my PC audio out goes into the PC audio input on the TV (just as the manual states).. the cable there is just combining the two links in the same cable for convenience (less clutter), it's not encoding the audio over HDMI.. i my TV is the problem because it won't accept an alternative audio input (PC audio over the 3.5mm input) when the HDMI input is in use... if i switch the TV input to the other HMDI inputs (that are currently unused), i'll hear the PC audio sound (but of course no video...) - this tells me the TV is automatically shutting out alternative audio input when an HDMI input is connected to a device... of course, i have things hooked up the way the LG manual shows, but do not see the "HDMI-PC" input option, ...just "HDMI1", "HDMI2", "HDMI3", and "RGB-PC" (which uses the alternate PC audio) :confused:

i think this is the TV manufactures w/ a lousy support approach to the PC user, ...it's either use your antiquated VGA and PC audio, or use HDMI, ..which has caused more problems than it has solved IMO... :rolleyes:

2. Feb 26, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Oh , I gotcha .

and you can't find an option to override the audio default in the TV menus .

3. Feb 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    wileyC

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    unfortunately not... but this monitor/TV is really growing on me otherwise :D.. i got a good deal on it (2011 models being liquidated all over), so i think i'll keep it and get a way to make things work...

did a bunch of looking around various avs/computer forums on the web, and it seems like there's a lot of folks w/ this same kinda problem... i think it's the TV manufacturers and their lackadaisical support for the PC market, ...they are all out for HDMI, which was a creation of the movie and entertainment industry, ..and have abandoned DVI (i have older LCDTVs w/ DVI inputs on them)... this is a shame i think because HDMI is constantly evolving (do you have the right "cable" for "deep color", etc.?), and it caters to the HDCP "crowd", which isn't the consumer... DVI is more versatile for video and backwards compatibility because DVI-I handles both digital video and analog VGA in the same connection... HDMI does not... ok me rant over :D

4. Feb 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    It's too bad your computer doesn't have an hdmi out , life is certainly easier that way :)

I had a similar issue with my old sattelite receiver that only had a DVI out , and my new tv would not accept the DVI to HDMI conversion cable :(

5. Feb 26, 2012 at 2:13 PM
    wileyC

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    maybe i should start asking for suggestions on late-model graphics cards w/ HDMI out connection.. :D

i'm not a gamer, so don't need the best/fastest, ..just something budget minded for my 7yr old PC... :cool:

6. Feb 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
  7. Feb 26, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    wileyC

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    that should work, but it would mean giving up digital video, ...since the component pass-through would be analog... DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort is the way to go, ..i'll have to stick to finding something along those lines...

8. Feb 27, 2012 at 12:32 AM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    wileyC

The HDMI-PC doesn't appear on your list of input options because it isn't an actual input - its an input label with a special function.
    Press your INPUT button, then hit the blue button (Input Label), scroll down to HDMI1, change its label to HDMI-PC. This should trigger that HDMI port to accept audio over the 1/8" mini audio jack.

9. Feb 27, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    wileyC

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    i tried doing that, ..i assigned the "PC" label to it, which puts a little "PC" wording in the upper right corner or something of the "HDMI1" icon in there (but it doesn't say "HDMI-PC")... so i don't know if that's supposed to force a change in the TV's behavior, but so far it hasn't changed things.. i also upgraded the TV firmware to the latest version downloaded from LG's website, but no change.. i finally put in a email to LG support, to find out what i'm overlooking here,...maybe their user manual has misinformation it it?..

do you have a similar LG tv?

10. Feb 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    No, I have a couple Sony, and a Samsung. But I was taking a cruise through your manual (http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-32LK450) and saw the HDMI-PC thing you saw and noticed it was referred to as a label not an actual input. I thought you may have missed that.
    But it's probably safe to say at this point you've been through it all 10x over :D
    The support email is a good idea... Because it sure looks like it's supposed to work the way you want.

I'm curious now.. I should try this on the Sony 40" I have here on the wall beside the PC...hmm:confused:

(update)
    Well I tried it on this Sony KDL40V5100.. and it is the same problem you have - no sound from the 3.5mm jack except when on the PC SVGA input.
    HOWEVER, I just now learned by trying it: The red/white RCA audio-in jacks beside HDMI1 port give me sound on ANY HDMI input that isn't providing its own audio signal - including the one I'm trying this PC on now.
    And to me, it wasn't that obvious because they're not clearly labeled or positioned as inputs -they're sorta under the HDMI1 input. See pic.

[​IMG]

I know its not your TV.. but maybe try all your RCA audio input jacks to see if yours does the same thing?

11. Feb 27, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    wileyC

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the sanity check!

well i just tried the trick you mentioned, ...tried all the RCA inputs, to no avail... on the back of my TV, the HDMI1 and HDMI2 inputs are both "framed" by a label that says "HDMI/DVI", ...which is yet another indication that the TV is supposed to be accepting of this :(

12. Feb 29, 2012 at 12:47 AM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    :confused: Damn.. Strange indeed. Well lemme know if the support ticket comes through.. I'm outta ideas.
    :popcorn:

13. Feb 29, 2012 at 8:33 AM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can you take a picture of your TV set's rear inputs?

Lets see!

14. Mar 10, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
  15. Mar 10, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    wileyC

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
  16. Mar 10, 2012 at 9:40 PM
    wileyC

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    that should work... but this one has dvi input, which i'd prefer..

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1641

..i'm thinking of maybe just getting a new video card w/ an hdmi out.. the newer ones supposedly have an audio codec that will facilitate audio on the hdmi from the card.. i think i can get a decent one for the price of the converters..
    :rimshot:

17. Mar 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM
    wileyC

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    finally got a response to my inquiry (email) w/ LG.. got a retarded response back telling me that my computer should be configured to output video and audio w/ hdmi... well my question was rather specific about my connections from a DVI port, and the TV is supposed to allow DVI (via DVI to HDMI adapter/cable) and 3.5mm stereo audio in the manual (it is even marked as such on the back panel)!!!!!!!!!! stupid tech support, stupid HDMI :D

18. Mar 12, 2012 at 3:43 AM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    Sigh. Sadly, not at all surprising from 1st level tech support. :crazy:

19. Jun 23, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    wileyC

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    just an FYI/update to anyone curious about getting audio over DVI.....

now that i have newer card (zotac gtx 550ti), i've got two monitors hooked up... primary monitor hdmi-to-dvi (via adapter), and the second one hdmi-hdmi...

..i am able to get audio on the primary monitor, due to the on-board audio codec that gets installed w/ the nvidia driver... so, to summarize, my vid card has two DVI-D, one display port, and two HDMI ports.... primary monitor hooked to one of the DVI-D ports, w/ DVI-HDMI adpater and then HDMI cable to the monitor... the audio is indeed passing from the DVI-D port to the monitor ... :D

Products Discussed in

To Top